Senior A and B Hurling Championships 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
frankthetank
All Star

Re: Senior A and B Hurling Championships 2020

Post by frankthetank »

private joker wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:50 am
frankthetank wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:23 pmWhy?
As a reward for doing well in 2019.
So do Kinnitty get seeded in Senior B and Shamrocks in Intermediate as a "reward" for getting relegated?

Seir Kieran won 9 championship games out of 9 in 2019. They won't get a seeding by your reckoning,

Seeding in my opinion is a load of boll*x and is used for one reason. To keep the strong strong and the weaker teams down.

Open draw all round = excitement

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Kinnity got relegated, so no. Seir Kieran were in senior B, so no.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

So who would you seed in Senior B?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The remaining 3 semi finalists, or dont have seeding outside of Senior A. Seeding does happen in Tipperary and Dublin that I am aware of.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

So now you're rewarding Lusmagh, Clodaigh Gaels and Carrig and Riverstown for hurling in a grade BELOW Kinnitty in 2019.

Sorry, but I find this absurd.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I did say just have seeding for Senior A as an option. My own club when they won county intermediate were seeded bottom when they came up. Maybe for senior B, have the three semi finalists and then the team who came down from Senior A can be the fourth team.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Just for the year that's in it (btw I'm not fully advocating this, I'm just spitballing!) why don't the County Board place all 16 teams from Senior A and B in a hat and have a straight knockout championship with a back door thus guaranteeing every team 2 high intensity championship fixtures (exact same format as Clare for anyone who wants to look it up. I go to a few games down there because I have a lot of cousins in East Clare and there's great cut in them and even the draws for each round have great interest and excitement)

1. As expected from me NO SEEDING.

2. 1 draw regualation - Kilcormac / Killoughey "A" can't draw Kilcormac / Killoughey "B"

3. The 2 Senior B teams who progress the farthest are promoted to Senior A for 2021. As we know there will be no relegation to Senior A as the 2021 championship will have 10 teams. If more than 2 teams from Senior B progress to the same stage e.g 4 teams they then enter a playoff with each other to see who goes up.

4. The 2 Senior B teams who progress the farthest may play in the Senior B final if the county board decide to proceed with that if it is needed to see who plays in the Leinster Club Intermediate Championship if that goes ahead.

Wouldn't it be a brilliant boost to clubs like Drumcullen or Lusmagh to get a hop off Birr or Belmont in a full blooded championship match and would create great interests in their respective parishes. The promotion of hurling in Offaly has to be paramount and this could really aid this even if it is only a one year thing.

As I said I quickly formulated this idea in my head for the simple reason that for the year that's in it I think we have the opportunity to get creative with our championships and that every option should be on the table.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Totally disagree with this one and would be concerned for what's the likes of Banagher Birt Belmont would do too kk b or Drumcullen for example.. huge gap in difference.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Is there anything more embarrassing than spelling your own club name wrong?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Some fixtures announced today for these. Here are the Round 1 games.

Senior A

Round 1
Group 1
Birr vs K/K 31/7 at 7.30 in Banagher
Coolderry vs Clareen 1/8 in at 7 in Birr

Group 2
Shinrone vs Ballinamere 31/7 at 7.30 in Rath
Belmont vs Banagher 1/8 at 7.00 in O'Connor Park

Senior B:

Round 1
Group 1
Tullamore vs Clara at 2/8 at 1pm in O'Connor Park
Clodaigh Gaels vs Carrig&Riverstown 2/8 at 1pm in Crinkle

Group 2
Drumcullen vs K/K 1/8 at 7pm in Kinnitty
Kinnitty vs Lusmagh 2/8 at 7pm in Birr

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:53 am Just for the year that's in it (btw I'm not fully advocating this, I'm just spitballing!) why don't the County Board place all 16 teams from Senior A and B in a hat and have a straight knockout championship with a back door thus guaranteeing every team 2 high intensity championship fixtures (exact same format as Clare for anyone who wants to look it up. I go to a few games down there because I have a lot of cousins in East Clare and there's great cut in them and even the draws for each round have great interest and excitement)

1. As expected from me NO SEEDING.

2. 1 draw regualation - Kilcormac / Killoughey "A" can't draw Kilcormac / Killoughey "B"

3. The 2 Senior B teams who progress the farthest are promoted to Senior A for 2021. As we know there will be no relegation to Senior A as the 2021 championship will have 10 teams. If more than 2 teams from Senior B progress to the same stage e.g 4 teams they then enter a playoff with each other to see who goes up.

4. The 2 Senior B teams who progress the farthest may play in the Senior B final if the county board decide to proceed with that if it is needed to see who plays in the Leinster Club Intermediate Championship if that goes ahead.

Wouldn't it be a brilliant boost to clubs like Drumcullen or Lusmagh to get a hop off Birr or Belmont in a full blooded championship match and would create great interests in their respective parishes. The promotion of hurling in Offaly has to be paramount and this could really aid this even if it is only a one year thing.

As I said I quickly formulated this idea in my head for the simple reason that for the year that's in it I think we have the opportunity to get creative with our championships and that every option should be on the table.
Lusmagh or Drumcullen wouldn't beat Birr or Belmont in a championship match as proposed by yourself.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Round 1
Group 1
Birr vs K/K 31/7 at 7.30 in Banagher
Coolderry vs Clareen 1/8 in at 7 in Birr

Group 2
Shinrone vs Ballinamere 31/7 at 7.30 in Rath
Belmont vs Banagher 1/8 at 7.00 in O'Connor Park

Why do matches have to be on at the same time? Could they not put them on at different times so people could go to all the games.

Birr vs kk and shinrone vs ballinamere both on at the same time??

Will any of these games be streamed on the Internet??

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Hasselhoff wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:23 pm
Why do matches have to be on at the same time? Could they not put them on at different times so people could go to all the games.
Very good question. I understand why they are not putting on double headers at this time but the games could be spread a bit better.
Maybe we are lucky to have any games to go to at all so we'll take what we can get!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I presume it's because a clubs senior team (first team) has to play on the weekend before its intermediate junior etc so players hurl at appropriate grade.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Birr vs kk and shinrone vs ballinamere would be two games I would go to.
Birr vs kk should be a good game and shinrone should beat ballinamere but a slip up here for shinrone could be dangerous.

Coolderry will probably beat clareen and Belmont and banagher would be a good one as well. Why oh why is it in tullamore? Do lads still have no access to dressing rooms on 31st July and then drive home from Tullamore.

Birr, shinrone or rath would be a better venue for this game.

Would rhode and Clara or ferbane be played in birr?

It would be great if these games were streamed live on offaly gaa TV.

One other question. Were these draws and groups seeded?