DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Re: DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

Post by Liam2020 »

Should the gaa not call off the championship now? No championship in 2020 won't kill anyone but covid 19 will.
People are not to visit each others houses yet 3 hurling panels and 3 football panels from each 32 counties will travel around playing games. That's senior u 20 and minor panels of approx 30 with management, we talking 200 people from each county by 32 is6400 people.
Is the risk too high??

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

I agree that the 2020 All-Ireland series should be cancelled.
This year will have a big *Asterisk* against it (if not in the record books but certainly in people's minds) no matter what the outcome of any games are. Club matches were a risk to play too, but did not involve as much travel and the groups concerned were already sharing the same "community" in a way. As much as I'd love to see "The Dubs" lose their winning streak for almost any reason if this pandemic was to derail their juggernaut approach, this year should now be consigned to the record books.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No. They were promoted from division 4 in 1996/97, beaten by Kildare in the quarter-final. The 1997/98 NFL saw a restructure and four seeded groups were drawn.
Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:44 am Wasnt that it, didnt offaly win the league in 1998 from the lower division....have I that right..
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

What worried me today I over heard two guys arranging for all the lads to come over to watch the games together, have a few beers, sure it will be like Croke Park one said.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Lads, do ye want to kill off any bit of enjoyment people have left? A group of young, healthy guys and their mentors travelling to and from games in empty stadia are not a threat to public health.

There is far too much hysteria about a virus that today has 20 people in ICU across the entire Republic of Ireland. If these restrictions continue much longer there will be multiple times more deaths from other illnesses and suicide than there ever was or will be from coronavirus.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I hope the league resumes and championship goes ahead, BUT can understand fully if they do not...its no argument to argue the other health effects of restrictions might have...thats all very well until this virus visits your own door, and believe you me, if it does and the depending on the strain one gets, watching sport on tv will be the last of ones worries, my brother works in UCG and has seen the fittest young men and women fighting to breath, limbs, brain and other side effects...of course there is reprecussions of this latest lockdown, but what can the Government do???? (I wouldnt be a Government supporter I can assure all)...but this is serious, and too serious to be thinking "ah a few lads here and there will be ok"...thats the problem and the risk people are taking...selfishly I think, but they are young and dont see or want to see the dangers...I am so looking forward to the league returning and hopefully the championship, but if the numbers continue to go in one direction, I fear the sensible thing will have to done...you see realistically, the visit to the house to visit your eldery neighbour living on their own to make sure they are ok, if you take precautions, those visits are ok, this house visit is for the the groups meeting up to have a few beers and watch live matches of any sport...no Guard is going to pull you up for visiting the widow Murray down the road, he is right to pull up a car load of lads with two slabs of bulmers heading to one of their houses...kill joy yes, but necessary...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

not killing anyones views by the way, but just we need to careful too..figures are scary and that is a result of people out and about...look, we will park it and get back to the football...if the games go ahead, call the other games in Div 3...

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:44 am
Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:03 pm

indeed you are right, didnt we get it woeful hard to escape from there as well...
Offaly were relegated to Division 4 in 1993-4. They failed to get promoted in the next two seasons before winning the Division in 1996-97.
Wasnt that it, didnt offaly win the league in 1998 from the lower division....have I that right..
Offaly had won Division 4 the previous season ('96-97) with a 100% winning record and lost the league quarter final to Kildare by a point.

For the '97-98 league, the tiered 4 divisions were dissolved and instead the 4 groups were created randomly.
As luck would have it, Offaly ended up in an 8 team group of death containing Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Monaghan, Cavan, Sligo and Wexford.
A draw with Sligo was the only blemish to Offaly winning the group and going on to win out the knockout matches.

As a footnote, the intention was that the top 2 teams from each group would make up the Division 1 for the following season, 3rd and 4th going into Division 2, 5th and 6th to D3, and so on. The problem was that Kerry finished 5th in Offaly's group and were then slated to go in D3 for the following year. To avoid this indignity the league had to be re-structured to create a 16 team top tier with Divisions 1A and 1B having 8 teams each and Kerry going into the Division 2A and 2B lower tier.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

fair plays if you remember all that, I remember it now you said it ok...Kerry were in bother only the restructured, and Kerry were All Ireland champions in 1997 too...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Cork promoted, Louth relegated, Derry win, Leitrim concede points to Down, due to Covid 19. Important that Offaly win today.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Paid to watch the game on GAAGO. First half was a complete write off which seemed to be the case across the board; constant buffering and freezing meant it was completely unwatchable. Tuned in to 103 before GAAGO got their act together for the second half.

Offaly will be disappointed with that result though in fairness Tipp probably would have been more comfortable winners had they not suffered injuries to a couple of key men. Their first half kick outs seemed to leave us completely exposed and it was worrying that so much time passed before we eventually got a handle on it. In comparison it looked like our own kickouts weren't being executed to a high standard with a number of turnovers and balls straight out over the sideline. Defence seemed to do well apart from the concession of the penalty and the chaos that ensued straight after. Offensively we seemed to labour a great deal with a lot of our passing being lateral. We seemed to lack that marquee forward that tipp had in the form of Quinlivan and Sweeney. Thought McNamee was very quite when he came on while Anton looked like a positive introduction with his directness causing tipp a number of headaches. I didn't get a chance to see the subs bench but thought it was odd that Brazil wasn't worth an appearance given our struggles in midfield. Conor Mac being brought on or indeed started could have helped rectify this sooner.

Its great that their seems to be a lot more depth coming through in Offaly football at present and with survival more or less insured in this division next week could be a great oppurtunity to give a few more lads a chance to impress. I'd be particularly keen to see Egan and Carroll get a run the next day as both had excellent club campaigns. Any else any other thoughts? Be great to get more conversation going on here around games, we've been starved of intercounty for long enough so hopefully people chime in with their own thoughts!

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

How does scoring difference come in if Offaly lose next week and Leitrim beat Tipp. They will all be on 5 points but the walk over given by Leitrim against Down means what in terms of scoring difference?

Claffey
Junior A

Post by Claffey »

In the event that two teams or more finish
with equal points, but have been affected by
a disqualification, loss of game on a proven
objection, retirement or walk over, the tie shall be
decided by the following means:
(i) Score Difference from the games in which only
the teams involved, (teams tied on points), have
played each other. (subtracting the total Scores
Against from total Scores For)
(ii) Highest Total Score For, in which only the
teams involved, have played each other, and
have finished equal in (i)
(iii) A Play-Off

So, if all 3 teams are level on 5 points next week, Offaly's score difference will be +5 (beat Leitrim by 8, lost to Tipp by 3). Leitrim can only get to 5 points by beating Tipp, therefore Tipp would have a score difference of less than +3. So, as far as I can see, Offaly are already safe.
Last edited by Claffey on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Michael Brazil isn’t on the panel anymore not sure why..

We are safe in division 3 Leitrim won’t beat tipp they didn’t field a team this week even if they end up getting a team together for next weekend they won’t win

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I detect nearly a sense of reliefthat Leitrim forfeited against Down and may not play next weekend possibly, if that is the level of hope in this Offaly squad we might as well shut up shop now..I didnt see the game yesterday, but listened to R3 commentary..the usual over labouring in possession was the feel of the game I got off the commentary...Tipp went down to 14 men with Jack Kennedys black card, Offaly were maybe a point or 2 down..I know Tipp pulled back all players behind the ball, but we still didnt capitalisze on the numbers advantage, once Kennedy came back on, they actually pulled out 3 clear and 4 as well...in injury time, Offaly were 4 points down, with only one player inside the 45..the mind boggles...time was running down the Offaly were passing the ball around with under a minute left as if they were in the lead...

I dont know, it has been a poor camapaign, surviving Division 3 now is our goal after a a couple of games every year.we won 2 games, I cannot even remember who they were against, Leitrim I think was one and maybe Louth the other, I dont know off the top of my head, but look where they are on the table...John Maughan actually said he was pleased with the perfrormcance but not the result:(
I think we are lucky there are so called worse teams than us in the Division...