DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

Post by Fairplayalways »

Sundays predictions if games go ahead: NFL Div 3 round 5:
Louth v Leitrim, Dowdallshill, 2pm - Louth to win by by 3
Cork v Derry, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, 2pm - A draw
Longford v Tipperary, Glennon Bros Pearse Park, 2.30pm - Longford by 4/5
Offaly v Down, O'Connor Park, 2.30pm - Down by 3 (I just cannot see Offaly winning, sorry, hope I am wrong:))

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:29 pm realistically can we beat Down next weekend for starters do you think?
I'd be excited if we did and I will be a difficult match, but I would not be 'shocked'. This division is tight.

COME ON OFFALY!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Two Wins on the Bounce , lets make it three boys

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Today's result is probably fair reflection of where we are in the food chain.

Being totally realistic we are a mid to lower table 3rd division side who haven't the quality to make the jump into the top 16. And all evidence accumulated over the last decade and a half conclusively proves this.

Maintaining Division 3 status is a decent league's work in my opinion all things considered.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Not good today, Down far better than Offaly tactically, and scorewise. Offaly do not seem to have improved in the art of score taking, still look overly cautious going forward. I would like to have seen changes in the forward area made earlier.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Shocking poor performance today really. The few minutes before half time when we went from 7-2 to 11-2 down at halftime killed off the game. If we went in just 5 behind with the breeze for the second half in addition to extra man for first ten minutes, we would have given it a right rattle

Ultimately it’s what ifs.
Doon exile....

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

wasnt at home yesterday so only got to chase up on the game last night, I feared Down would beat us by a few points and that has been the case...from reading other posts here I detect that we were passing it to everyone else to shoot instead of going for scores themselves, the games I have been at and listened to this has been the story all year, and indeed the last few years...I know then when they do shoot and if it goes wide we will condemn as well, but some of the "non shooting" oportunities is criminal, missing the odd easy frees as well is common place...based on yesterday Derry will beat us probably about 0-15 to 0-09 or thereabouts...looking at the table, we are mid table, even Tipp appear to be scoring a bit freely than us. we got 2-16 V Leitrim and 2-13 V Louth and then back to 0-09 yesterday..a man down I know, heaven forbid if we ever meet a Dublin or other big county and loose a man, we will be massacrred altogether...I dont know...I was hoping for a more competitive game yeseterdy..0-09, I know the weather was shocking, wont win anything of note...I havent looked at the scores but no doubt our goalkeeper kicked around 2/3 points from frees, around 3/4 more came from frees, and the rest from play...

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

the best this squad could do is stay in division 3 and they have done it. its their level and they were never going to beat the likes of cork or down . whats the story with cian johnston sure to god he should be making a team who are playing in division 3.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

oneshot wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:13 pm the best this squad could do is stay in division 3 and they have done it. its their level and they were never going to beat the likes of cork or down . whats the story with cian johnston sure to god he should be making a team who are playing in division 3.
Hold your horses! I don’t think we are guaranteed safety from relegation yet, are we?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I hear where you are comming from relegation wise, not sure whom the teams below us have in their last games but we have Derry and Tipperary, and realistically will struggle to get even a draw against Tipperary, we wont beat Derry, so if the other teams have wins we could be in bother...whatever about not letting Cian Johnston in against teams if we were in Div 1 or 2, surely he deserves a full gig in a game in Div 3...they will stay messing about with him now and he will leave altogether...I assume he is towing the line at training etc...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz FL3 2020 as it stands after 5 rounds
P W D L Dif Pts now--my predicted final points tally
Cork 5 5 0 0 24 10
Down 5 3 1 1 7 7
Longford 5 3 1 1 14 7
Derry 5 2 1 2 5 5
Offaly 5 2 1 2 -4 5----------6
Tipperar 5 1 1 3 -10 3----------7
Leitrim 5 1 1 3 -17 3--------- 5
Louth 5 0 0 5 -19 0----------0

now refreshed after adjusting my error in giving 3 points for a win :) Offaly have Tipp and Derry left to play...might beat Tipp or draw with them, probably wont beat Derry, best possible outcome talbe wise is 6/8 points
Tipp have Offaly next and then Leitrim - potentially 4 points will bring them to 7 points
Leitrim have Down next which they wont win I expect, and finally Tipp, a win there a tall ask but if they did that would be total of 5 points possible for them, ok lets say they will beat Tipp....
Louth have Cork away (a loss more than likely) and Down then at home (a loss too more than likely)

Not to say anything might happen in home games in particular for the current basement teams and we will have to wait and see.
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Fairplayallways, its only 2 points for a win in this league!!!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Hyper wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:01 pm Fairplayallways, its only 2 points for a win in this league!!!
oh yeah..better fix!:)...done now..

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Johnson taken off after 50 minutes v cork
Taken off after 30 minutes v Longford
Sub for 2 minutes v Louth
5 minutes v Leitrim
10 minutes v Derry

How in the name of god do you expect a player to progress or get experience? We are looking at the same lads making the same mistakes for years now, he should play 2 full games v tipp and Derry in my opinion in a view ahead for the championship

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

ah yeah, within reason, if he was having a complete howler he would expect himself to be taken off, but I too would start him against Tipp and give him a good outing depending on how he is going...