DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Re: DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

Post by Tullman »

A game we could have won and also could have lost if we beat Louth next week this point will be a valuable one.
Tmcmahon I strongly agree with you taking any player off with one minute to go to half time is a bad call never mind a young man starting out being embarrassed in front of a big crowd these are the type of things that drive lads away from football I can’t imagine how he is feeling this morning I hope he bounces back because he is a good lad you never hear any trouble from him off the field he minds himself very well and loves his football, Longford had 70% possession in the first half so hauling off a corner forward made no sense anyway. I have been impressed with Maughan to date but this was very poor man management

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

I was all for maughan and im not completely turned against him now either, but the amount of games we lost over the last year we should have won is not good enough, and his refusal to play Dunne last year and his decisions around Cian this year is silly. it seems that any player with a reputation needs to be taking down a peg or two, thats what i looks like from afar. You are spot on , cian could well be disillusioned now and his form although not good could become worse.

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Great second half from Offaly yesterday.
But why in the name of God did they allow Longford the ball for the entire first half practically? When we have the wind we dont press, when the wind is a form of press in itself!?

Hats off to Anton, his performances, including the County final have been very good and he worked his socks off yesterday.
I think Cian shouldn't have been taken off yesterday, especially when,
1) So close to half time
2) No ball going in
3) Any ball kicked in was over hit

However, he needs to bide his time and learn the trade, he's not used to the mass defence and should be able to put the head down and work hard to fight his way in. In my opinion Shane Horan, Ruari Mc, Jordan Hayes were not at the races in the first half at all with only Horan improving in the second half (slightly).

Conor McNamee played very well and was useful in many ways and succeeded in helping break the dominance of Longford on the kick out, breaking and winning breaks. Best football I saw from him.

Dempsey tracked Micky Quinn everywhere and kept him quiet. Micky Brazil and Cathal Mangan did well enough too. Eoin Carroll wasted ball in the first half but did better in second.

How the chance to score the winner was butchered at the finish was disappointing, an off load to the left instead of right was the option, and we had a certain point.

I said earlier in the week that what we needed was a solid 70 minute performance. We got a 35 minute performance, and in my opinion management need to explain the instructions to not press the Longford kick out in the first half (I'm assuming this is the case)? I think we deployed the same tactics last year in some league games.

Need to change that for next week, as the wind looks like twill blow! But it will be a useful point in the battle to stay up.

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

-
Last edited by FerbaneInsider on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

-
Last edited by FerbaneInsider on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

Im obviously a big Joe fan , I am adament he should be in there. Im worried that maughan does not have offaly's best interest at heart

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

The age we live in... Released a statement.. :roll:

Good God this is embarrassing. Almost as bad as those cringy 'I've decided to retire from county football' Instagram posts that have become the norm in GAA now. Whatever happened to going quietly, such attention seeking rubbish. "Tell me I was great I want your adulation".

When did this player last play for Offaly? 2015 or 2016? Where was the 'statement' in 2017, 2018, 2019? I don't know what age he is but I'd guess closer to 30 than 20 and how many championship campaigns has been involved in for Offaly? 2, 3 max?

I didn't realise winning a club championship meant you were entitled to be on the Offaly team.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Well said it was totally cringey...its not like he was a certain starter for offaly anytime he was in there.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Jesus that is embarrassing!

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

FerbaneInsider wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:47 am I’ve seen a lot of negativity on this thread in recent weeks around Cian Johnson. Can we all please shut up and let him develop, our expectations of him are way too high because of his underage exploits. He is the future of this county, is a quiet lad and adores his football. I for one will not stand for people calling him cocky, he made some silly comments that he himself regrets but that shouldn’t be what defines him. He’s still only 20 years old. His performances in recent weeks have been sub-par but he didn’t do anything special in the group stages of the Offaly Championshp and then sprung into life with one of the greatest personal runs of recent memory scoring 2-14 against Shamrocks, Edenderry and Rhode to fire Ferbane to their first Dowling Cup in 25 years all while being the centre of attention of the teams he was facing. Can we all appreciate how difficult it was for him to go from scoring 6 points against Dublin in an O’Byrne Cup game at 18 years old sitting the leaving cert to being forced to sit on the sidelines for almost 2 years because of some stupid rule invented by Tommy Byrne? He took it on the chin, kept his head down and hasn’t mentioned it since. Judge him in 5 years, 10 years time but please stop casting aspersions over a player we need in this county and all want to see succeed. Ends

agree good post we have a thing in offaly kicking young players when they are down. theres 4 or 5 other players that are their years and still do nothing in games but yet are never mention.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

I didn’t read any negatively around CJ but actually the opposite in that everyone, myself included, are saying to give him a chance as opposed to taking him off in games.

Hardly negative......
Doon exile....

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Heard Joe Mahers account was hacked Sunday night I heard :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

ah I dont know about all this "give X player time" etc., David Clifford (21)is Kerry new prodigy, for the last year or two now even, delivering at All Ireland final, league final and club level. Cian Johnston is 20 years of age playing in Division 3, not that he will be reading or worried about what we put on here, but its not rocket levels of delivery we expect...careers come and go, and many great young prodigys do get left behind if they dont hit the ground running...we all know names in Offaly and other counties....nothing at all against CJ and what a footballer he is, like to see abit more zoop out of him at county level, which we havent yet seen.

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

"Can we all appreciate how difficult it was for him to go from scoring 6 points against Dublin in an O’Byrne Cup game at 18 years old sitting the leaving cert to being forced to sit on the sidelines for almost 2 years because of some stupid rule invented by Tommy Byrne?"

This above is the nonsense we have to put up with? He had the opportunity to play on a well prepared u20 panel over both years and allowed the chance to develop. There was no being forced to sit on the sidelines.
Its lads like you and Stephen Wallace and to a degree local media that heaped the pressure onto him, blowing him up in the clouds. Clifford is a major exception.

Player burnout, Colm O'Rourke, "Players college and education", leaving cert focus, and the chance for our players to develop themselves at U20 level and retain an appetite for football when they are 20 were some of the reasons that Offaly GAA, NOT ANY INDIVIDUAL, decided that U20's don't play Senior Championship.

I just commented that Cian shouldn't have been taken off so close to half time, but put the head down and learn the trade.

Best of luck to Joe in his Masters, I hope all goes great. But, How in the name of God do the Donegal/Mayo/Kerry/Laois/Westmeath lads manage who are in college. If you can't commit in college, well try holding down a job in the modern era and making it out of Dublin a few times a week for training.

Keep the head down on the football field lads and the best of luck to ye and all our players who burst their arses trying to make it work juggling college/Work/partners. Plus parents also trying to help fund the exercise.

Even minor, parents having to get players to Kilcormac for 6.30/7 from the far side of the county, U20 players making it back and probably having to give up the chance of part time work to commit to the county cause......I salute ye all!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Double edge sword razor sharp now:

Seems we've been stuck in a place where every league game has been 'crucial' for as long as I can remember.

That's a good thing in that it forces everyone to focus and bring a winning mentality to every match. On the other hand, the never ending 'if we can just win this one, we'll be alright thing' requires a really stiff resolve that could wear on any group.

Hoping our gang are ready to tear into the next 2 games like madmen. We're only 2 points and some way back on the differential from second place at this early point. Suppose we can only play one game at a time, but hopefully with a little luck we are preparing for Down with promotion on our minds as opposed to relegation.

With that said, this is a dog eat dog division. No results would surprise me and every opponent is dangerous.

Good luck to the boys as they approach this stretch of the league
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.