DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hyper
All Star

Re: DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

Post by Hyper »

Searing Drive, I would like to see Ruairi on the frees, they were his bread and butter all the way through the ranks at underage. He scored a couple on Saturday night from roughly the same spot as Paddy missed from. Panda missed a very scorable one layte on in the second half. Although he had a huge game,his decision making was poor at times in the first half. He could have slipped one to Cian and another to Jordan. Anton had as good a game as he's ever had in an Offaly jersey. By going direct at them he either scored or was fouled. How a black card wasn't given is very questionable. As stated elsewhere the Longford game could be the defining moment for the lads this year. The Cork game should bring them along alot and if the y come out and palay with that same intensity they shouldn't be far away.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I wasn't at the game on Saturday night, but listened to MIds 103 commentary.
A friend of mine confirmed that Anton and Ruairi had good games. Bernard Allen's black card probably affected his game in the second half.If Ruairi McNamee, is a free taker, from his underage days, why did he not put up his hand for the the free taking duties with Offaly?.

The Longford game is a must win game, Longford will make it difficult, but if Offaly find their form they can get two points.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

SearingDrive wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:38 pm I wasn't at the game on Saturday night, but listened to MIds 103 commentary.
A friend of mine confirmed that Anton and Ruairi had good games. Bernard Allen's black card probably affected his game in the second half.If Ruairi McNamee, is a free taker, from his underage days, why did he not put up his hand for the the free taking duties with Offaly?.

The Longford game is a must win game, Longford will make it difficult, but if Offaly find their form they can get two points.
Ruairí was on frees for the Westmeath game. Missed a shocking handy one and another was just creeped inside the post. Both from relatively easy positions. Dunican was then brought up to kick frees after that.
Good Luck

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

free taking seems to be a major major issue . last year it cost us against meath and already this year there is signs of the same problems. Ruiari is not a free taker to be fair to him. he probably is the best option from the current team , i could be wrong. allen misses handy ones at times. Dunican success rate is poor enough, well hes either very hot or very cold. Realistically a keeper that can ensure we retain kickouts( dunican can do this) and a 9/10 free taker would make us a decent side imo.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Would Farrell not be the best option for frees seems to put up big scores in Sigerson and for Edendery

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

dont attack me but just throwing this in as an idea to keep Cian Johnson fresh and involved, if we are struggling with frees why not let him practice in training and give him close in ones etc and get him going..often the great players, as correctly pointed out above, are out of the game for long periods but have the knack of delivering then when things are tight, frees are often a way of keeping a players confidence going and often an incentive to do a bit more too, now having said that, will my suggestion then have the opposite effect on the likes of Bernard Allen and other free takers etc..If free taking is an issue, now is the time to get someone like johnson going, Clifford is gifted for Kerry and he got free on Sat to level it (I think O'Se was wallopped earlier in match or something...sometimes you need to keep the gifted players ticking over...just an idea....

Tar Man
Junior A

Post by Tar Man »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:40 am Clifford is gifted for Kerry and he got free on Sat to level it (I think O'Se was wallopped earlier in match or something...sometimes you need to keep the gifted players ticking over...just an idea....
Sean O'Shea was sent off (Yellow & Black Card) just before Clifford got the free to level it.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

thanks..didnt see the game, just the end with the free right at the end...and then the Dubs had a go at Clifford, they will try and destroy him...

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

I Think the biggest risk is how they handle the pressure that is going to come with the Longford game.

No one expected Offaly to beat Cork on Sat night, (no one on here that I saw of).
So what Offaly need to do against Longford is deliver a mature performance for 70mins and the result will look after itself.

Longford got in our faces after the first 15 mins and we were all over the shop, Micky Quinn used his experience, our kick out plan misfired and our work rate off the ball dropped.

If...and it's a big if, all our players keeps the head as best they can, Maughan makes a decision re Conor Mc,(he's struggling at the minute and will come good), we can deal with Micky Quinn roving around the field, plus a solid ref, (some strange decisions in last game v Longford), plus be clever around by passing Longford midfield, then we can win this game.

In my opinion no county has a forward playing the type of role that Cian Johnson seems to want to play? Playing on the perifery hoping to provide explosive finish. His use of the ball when he came on v Longford showed he has a bit to go and that's fine. But in the meantime he needs to be able to put in some solid tackling in order to help protect our backline, as does Ruairi/Horan/Anton and Panda.

Cian Farrell has something to add also on Sunday and would like to see him start.

But it's not the end of the world on Sunday, we need a consistency and maturity of performance that I believed was coming in the lead up to the OByrne cup final and didn't arrive. Build on the first half last Sat night and aim for 70 mins of high tempo workrate from 20 players and we should get over the line.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Ok for this weekends predictions: NFL round 2:
Down V Derry....Down by 3
Louth V Tipperary.....Tipp by 2 (dont rule out a draw here)
Leitrim V Cork....Cork by 9
Offaly V Longford...Offaly by 3 IF they keep full compliment on the field for full game...dont rule out a draw here. not much use to Offaly I know..

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Weekends predictions: NFL round 2:
Down V Derry-Draw
Louth V Tipperary-Tipp by 4
Leitrim V Cork-Cork by 12
Offaly V Longford-Draw

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

agree with all above except i expect Leitrim to battle hard against Cork especially at home in Carrick on Shannon, so think it might be less than 12, I know I said 9!!!...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Down v Derry. Two of the promotion contenders clash. Down to win

Leitrim v Cork. Will be seen as a Cork win, but Leitrim's draw away to Derry will give them confidence on home ground. Cork should win after a battle.

Louth v Tipperary. Both looking for a win, Tipperary can get it, but a draw is possible.

Offaly v Longford. Offaly can win this important game, if they play for 70 minutes.

Offaly hurlers are playing Kerry in Tralee on Sunday, in a game crucial to their promotion hopes. Two games on Sunday to interest the faithful followers.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I know its hurling, but can we beat Kerry down in Kerry??..they were a decent out fit defeating us last summer in JMD, not withstanding we were very disjointed at that time..I have a hunch Kerry have our measure at this juncture in time, but hopefully our lads can pull somekind of performance together enough to get over the line...

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Cian Farrell out for a bit....