O’Byrne Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: O’Byrne Cup

Post by SearingDrive »

It's Longford in the final next week. Anyone know the venue?, presumably throw in is at 2pm.

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Listened to an interview with Cian Johnson below, who says Offaly have home advantage in the final. Hopefully a good crowd will turn out and we will get a bit of silverware, albeit O Byrne Cup, winning is a habit.

.@ferbanegaa 's Cian Johnson spoke to @TheRealJT23 after collected his senior footballer of the year prize at the @Offaly_GAA awards https://t.co/joFjxsGdeB

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Great performance and win yesterday. While you must put in perspective, it was convincing win over a Westmeath team that would look down on Offaly - albeit a slightly weakened Westmeath due to injuries. From observation, I thought Westmeath were woefully negative at times and Offaly were comfortably better yesterday leaving at least another goal if not two behind while Paddy Dunican was rarely threatened in Offaly goal.

Backs solid throughout. Rigney was outstanding for me with Dempsey excellent getting up the pitch - as was Jordan Hayes who got 2 pts in 1st half and contributed going forward. Not just sure about Nally at centre back just yet - though good in patches. Eoin Carroll hadnt his best game at wing back but really came into his own when moved to forwards after the break.

Brazil again very strong at midfield. I have been known to criticise Ruairi McNamees work-rate from time to time but yesterday - for me was his best game by a mile in an Offaly senior shirt - especially in first half. At centre-forward he was able to impose his undoubted footballing ability with some clever inter play and a super work ethic. I hope that this is the level he sets himself for year ahead and if it is he will start come championship. Cian Johnson was largely anonymous for first 45 mins but in the last 15 mins or so - he caught fire with 2 points and was unfortunate for a disallowed goal after a very good finish to a great team move from Offaly.

I know it is only an O'Byrne cup final, but as far as I can recollect, the last time we reached the O'Byrne cup final was in 2006. This is a team worth following, are good to watch, play with good energy and give their all! You can't really ask for any more. I'd be very hopeful we can make strides in the year ahead.......
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Saturday 2.45 O Connor park

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Good win on Saturday.
Offaly were the better team throughout and some sloppy play led to Westmeath turnover scores in the first half.
In the second half I was delighted with Offalys discipline in defence, where we didn't rush in and foul Westmeath and allowed them to shoot but the wind made it difficult to kick scores from play. And by drawing Westmeath onto us we hit them on the break and pushed the lead out to 5 pts. We should have been able to kick on further at this stage, and go a bit more direct but we got sloppy again and allowed Westmeath back to 3 pts.
Lets put it in context too, Westmeath were short G Egan, Heslin, Martin, Paddy Holloway, Jamie Gonoude, probably 3 /3 other starters.

But our workrate and conditioning appears to be very good, and the panel has more depth. I think we can take Longford who seem to have lost some key players who have opted out. They will be dogged and will be dangerous. Like Antrim, familiarity breeds contempt and having played them so often in the recent past it may well be a dogfight. Also, the league game in a few weeks time will well be a more important match but the opportunity to win some silverware wont be scoffed at either.

Well done again to John Maughan, management and team, T Byrne will again have a wry smile, but best of luck to Michael Duignan to on the football from over the coming years!!

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Gamahad I am not sure why you feel the need to mention Tommy Byrne on this thread and the Keogh cup one hes gone thank god and very irrelevant.

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

2 decent appointments appear to be paying dividends is all. Sorry it upset you.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Very early in the year to suggest that. May is when you can judge how good the appointments have been

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

havent been on here in ages, yes great to see Offaly in O'Byrne cup final, you can only play whats infront of you on the pitch, a great win and some good scores put up in getting to the final, Longford now in final, lets hope we can win abit of silverware and get confidence going for league...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

havent been on here in ages, yes great to see Offaly in O'Byrne cup final, you can only play whats infront of you on the pitch, a great win and some good scores put up in getting to the final, Longford now in final, lets hope we can win abit of silverware and get confidence going for league...

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Confidence can only be maintained by winning the o Byrne cup and keeping the momentum going. Let’s hope there is a good crowd in there.

I saw that you could buy a season ticket to all club games for 120 or 140 euro for the year. It would be great if they could use this game to sell them and get the crowd back going to club games.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly's six previous O’Byrne Cup winning teams.

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

1954: Offaly 0-10 Louth 1-5, 20th March 1955 at Croke Park
Liam Moran; Noel McGee (capt.), Kevin Scally, Myles Nugent; Mick Brady, Peter Nolan, Dick Conroy; Paddy Casey (0-2), Mick Casey; Alo Kelly (0-4), Christy Carroll (0-2), Johnny Kinahan (0-1); Joe Bracken, Paddy Fenlon (0-1), Christy Owens. Sub used: Oliver Redican. Also: Mick Drumm, Johnny Owens, Frank Gorry, Joe Quinn, Seán Connell, Frank Mc Loughlin.

1961: Offaly 1-9 Longford 0-6, 15th October at Tullamore
Willie Nolan (capt.); Frank Higgins, Greg Hughes, Johnny Egan; Phil O’Reilly, Mick Brady, Charlie Wrenn; Seán Brereton (0-1), Frank Weir; Tommy Cullen (0-1), Tom Furlong (0-2), Tommy Greene (1-2); Donie Hanlon (0-1), Eamonn Fleming, Har Donnelly (0-2, 0-1f). Sub: Jimmy Hanlon.

1981: Offaly 1-12 Dublin 0-11, 10th May at Parnell Park
Martin Furlong (capt.); Ollie Minnock, Liam O’Connor, Mick Wright; Pat Fitzgerald (0-1), Liam Currams, Charlie Conroy; Tomás O’Connor, John Moran; Aidan O’Halloran, Matt Connor (0-7), Gerry Carroll (0-1); Johnny Mooney, Seán Lowry (1-2), Brendan Lowry (0-1). Sub: Stephen Darby.

1993: Offaly 1-10 Meath 0-7, 7th February at Navan
Darragh Scully; Seán Cullinan, Mick Devine, Finbar Cullen; Ken Kellaghan, Paul Mulvehill, David Foley; Ronan Mooney, Pádraig Dunne; Vinny Claffey (0-1), Tom Coffey (1-0), Cathal Ryan (capt., 0-4, 0-2f); Peter Brady (0-2, 0-1f), Vinny Byrne (0-2), Pádraig Moran (0-1). Subs: Seán Grennan, Aidan Stewart.

1997: Offaly 4-13 Wexford 0-5, 9th March at Tullamore
Pádraig Kelly; Cathal Daly, Larry Carroll, David Foley; John Kenny, Finbar Cullen (capt.), Tom Coffey; Ciarán McManus (2-2, 0-2f), Seán Grennan; Colm Quinn, Mark Daly (0-1), Anthony Kelly (0-3); David Reynolds, Roy Malone (0-2), Peter Brady (1-4, 0-2f). Subs: Vinny Claffey (1-1), Vincent Mooney, David Reynolds.

1998: Offaly 4-7 Louth 2-7, 22nd March at Drogheda
Ken Furlong; Cathal Daly, Barry Malone, David Foley; John Kenny, Paul Mulvehill, James Brady; Ciarán McManus (2-1, 2-0 pens, 0-1 ’45), James Grennan; Colm Quinn, Mark Daly, Ronan Mooney; Vinny Claffey (0-3), Barry Mooney (1-0), Peter Brady (0-3, 0-2f). Subs: Ken Kellaghan (1-0), Roy Malone.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I was at the 1993 final many moons ago, those Meath teams were absolute butchers and wouldn’t think twice about putting your teeth down your throat. Looking forward to Saturday now and hopefully the boys can do the business best of luck to all

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Good luck tomorrow to all involved.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Best of luck to team and management