O’Byrne Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

O’Byrne Cup

Post by LooseCannon »

A few new names. Anyone care to provide any insight on any of them.
Attachments
C6EA322B-E804-47E2-92D6-8B93EFE52CDE.jpeg
C6EA322B-E804-47E2-92D6-8B93EFE52CDE.jpeg (111.1 KiB) Viewed 21117 times
Good Luck

jimbob17
All Star

Re: O’Byrne Cup

Post by jimbob17 »

West Offaly won a lot of trophies this year and as far as I am concerned, are under represented by that squad especially given that they have dominated minor and U21 in last few years! Does anyone have a list of current senior football panel for 2020?

Are likes of following involved? Leon Fox, Joe Maher, Kyle Higgins, Stephen Wren (all Ferbane), Callum Boland (Doon) Barry Rohan, Darragh Corbett, Young Darcy and Hoyne chaps (Shannonbridge) Johnny Maloney (Tullamore), Robilliard, Nigel Bracken Tullamore, Cunninghams in Bracknagh? probably few more I've left out but certainly more than Johnson from Ferbane should be on panel along with others.

Also, is there any from last year not back this year?
jimbob

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

as far as i'm aware
Leon Fox is with the hurlers, Joe Maher some background history, Johnny Maloney is in there, Nigel Bracken out with serious injury, Peter Cunningham overseas with the Army.......

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Callum Boland gone to Australia....Shannonbridge lads deserve a week or two off...…….

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Anyone at today’s game? Good to get a win anyway.

ryot
All Star

Post by ryot »

O'Byrne Cup round 2
At Drogheda
Offaly 1-17
Louth 1-9

Another excellent result, having been level at HT...……….

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

another good win its good to see them finishing well in games where we lost a few in the league and championship during the year. farrell and johnston scoring well again today .

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Not a game that will be remembered for long , really bad conditions wind made it near impossible to shoot into one end and the pitch was very bad , having said a comfortable 6 point win is great now sets us up in the strong position to reach a semi final can’t ask anymore of them so far great commitment and performances

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

is Johnny maloney injured?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Another good win today for Offaly - 2-12 to 1-7 over Wexford.
I sense that John Maughan has especially targeted the O'Byrne Cup as a means to build the winning habit.
In last year's league Offaly lost a number of games they should have won by not closing out very well from strong winning positions.
In terms of ability they should have been in the fight for promotion, but ended up in a relegation battle.

Westmeath next in the semi final offers another chance to build momentum.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 pm Another good win today for Offaly - 2-12 to 1-7 over Wexford.
I sense that John Maughan has especially targeted the O'Byrne Cup as a means to build the winning habit.
In last year's league Offaly lost a number of games they should have won by not closing out very well from strong winning positions.
In terms of ability they should have been in the fight for promotion, but ended up in a relegation battle.

Westmeath next in the semi final offers another chance to build momentum.
100% agree. Too many games lost by close margins last year and I think Maughan and co understand that you can't SWITCH ON winning at will, instead a team needs to know how to finish out games.....think Meath last year when we didn't do so. I only got in for the 2nd half today but was impressed how Offaly mixed up the attack. A few balls driven in chest high into the corner and a mix of fast running at Wexford suggested one team a plan another didn't really. FYI Wexford looked absolute shite as well. Galvin is wasting his time.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Wexford absolutely woeful. Ferbane or Rhode would have beat them! Galvin brought his fashionista self onto the sideline, complete with new Dunnes range in skinny jeans, bomber jacket and suede boots! He could have at least thrown on a tracksuit for the hour on the sideline!

Offaly played at high tempo and could have won by more. Ml Brazil and David Dempsey were standout lads for me. Anton was pick of our forwards...... Lots of lads got game time - maybe 8 or 10 subs i'd say. Good O'Byrne cup irrespective of next game and should go into league with real sense of purpose.
jimbob

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I think beating Westmeath in the semi final is crucial as we have really made them our bogey team over the past 5 or 6 years, so a win at this stage of the O’Byrne cup could only have a positive impact on the squad and on management!! Promotion from Division 3 has to be the main objective for this year and while we were close to winning a lot of games in the league last year, we still just about avoided relegation, so as much as anything we need to be mentally stronger than last year as teams seemed to be able to get a run on us usually in the 2nd half of games and we would look completely lost & devoid of any sort of game plan!!
The Untouchable

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Neither here nor there - some useless information on the O'Byrne Cup:

Tomorrow, Offaly line out in the competition's semi-final for the 24th time. Offaly have won 9 and lost 14 semi-finals.

Offaly's first ever game in the O'Byrne cup was a 0-10 to 0-6 first round win over Westmeath in 1954.

Offaly have previously played Westmeath 17 times in the O'Byrne cup. Offaly have won 7 times, Westmeath won 6 while they drew 4 times. The counties meet in a semi-fnal for the third time with Offaly winning in 1977 and Westmeath advancing to the decider in 2018.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star

Post by ryot »

O'Byrne Cup semi-final
At O'Connor Park
Offaly 0-16
Westmeath 0-11

Well done lads.....

Now that 1954 got a mention, can the win be repeated....