Kehoe Cup 2019/2020, NHL 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly 0-26 Meath 1-21

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It all depends on your perspective, whether a win is a win or whatever. In my view, that was a very disappointing performance from Offaly yesterday. As far as I could see, nothing has changed. And only Meath’s lack of belief rescued Offaly.

Offaly are still unable to control the game, unable to string more than two passes together, unable to create space, and unable to deal with an opposition who string passes together. The same as before. Without that, they can’t play as a team, and without that they won’t get the quality performances required nowadays.

I’m sure the management have identified these deficiencies and are working to address them, and at this stage I can only assume that these deficiencies stem from the underage system that these fellas came through. We’ve been through all this before.

Twist it another way, Offaly won the Kehoe Cup tie something like 8-18 to 3-18, which is 26 scores to 21. Yesterday, Offaly hit 26 scores and Meath hit 22, something similar to last month. Meath were never going to give away goals yesterday, whatever else they were going to do. And it’s not as if Meath concede eight goals every day they go out.

On the positives, Liam Langton was lively and caused Meath all sorts of problems for 20 minutes, operating as a roving forward. The Killeigh chap picked off some nice scores and made himself available for passes. Then he was instructed to revert to an orthodox corner-forward position, and went out of the game.

Ben Conneely has a lovely way of running diagonally when in possession in a bid to open up space, but nobody is on the same wavelength to make a run to take the pass. And it’s not as if Offaly are blessed with a forward line full of ball winners who provide an outlet for a booming clearance as if the 1990s were back.

Relegated from championship’s top 15 last year, with Meath moving in the opposite direction, we arguably had the 15th and 16th ranked teams in opposition yesterday, and proceedings were evenly matched. Kerry will be a step up next week, and Antrim will be another step up. Yesterday’s evidence considered, it’s hard to see Offaly making that step.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Kehoe Cup 2019/2020

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That's nothing new, Offaly supporters have been like that for the last 20 years. I don't like it, I know it affects the hurlers, but sadly too many people don't get that.
greenairfield wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 pmAlso I must say the Offaly supporters have a very negative reaction to small mistakes from players, I think it's an awful way for players to hear growns format the crowd when you make mistakes, we should support them at all times at matches instead of putting more pressue on a team who has huge pressure as it is.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Kehoe Cup 2019/2020, NHL 2020

Post by SearingDrive »

Offaly were very lucky to beat Meath yesterday. Meath dominated the second half, and almost pulled off a deserved shock win, putting a huge dent in Offaly's promotion hopes.
What looked like probable promotion, before yesterday, will now be decided in the upcoming games v Kerry away, and Antrim at home.
A big improvement is required for both games, starting in Tralee next Sunday.
You would have to favour Kerry based on yesterday's game. I hope the Offaly players, and management get it together the next day.

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

Is Conor mahon to come back?? What is the story with P camon and d shortt. Can we get Conor doughan to come in?
I would have hoped that c kiely P camon c doughan B conneely S kinsella ó kelly would be the spine of the team for the next 5 years.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Is fitness a problem.
If

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

fecking hell its lucky we got the win or there would be blood spilt on here. look mick fennelly hasn’t a magic wand it going to take a few years for offaly to get back to the top and might not either . its five wins from five we have two points on the board meath were never going to lie down and if you look at our record again them always a tight game, 1994all ireland winnners and meath turn us over.

i think the players are giving it everything they have and we have come throught two tough games and have won. look we are where we are christy ring cup team and division 2b team we have no tj reids or joe cannings . but lets get behind the lads there are some good young players to work with there. we are abit light around midfield and half forward line and lost most of the rucks last sunday and also again antrim. but if we can get the likes of cillian kielty and aidan tracey back players with a bit of size and the ground gets harder the likes of our young light players will come good in the coming months. lets not foget we have beaten meath twice and antrim teams who are in the joe mcdonagh cup this summer .

we were 8 points up last sunday and we just didn’t kick on miss a few chances to to further ahead but a few bad wides and also trying to get goals cost us abit.anyway kerry this sunday this will be another tight tough game but i think we are going the right way good squad of players and i think they will shut a few up next weekend with a win.

Liam2020
Senior

Post by Liam2020 »

I agree last Sunday highlights that we need to be patient, hopefully those wins will build confidence and I expect a big improvement next Sunday and another win

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Kerry and Antrim have been and will continue to be serious battles for our boys. That's just the situation we find ourselves in.

Patience is key while we hunt for the results.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

kerry and antrim are ahead of us both are in the joe mcdonagh cup we are not. in saying that we were a shambles last year when we played both antrim and kerry add in leaving out our best forward in joe bergin in the kerry game came back to bite us in the arse.

there was only a puck of a ball between them in both games last year, new year new manger a few new players in the panel we aint’t that far off kerry and antrim, i go as far and say again this summer is out we will be well able to hurl antrim and kerry we might have to wait till 2201 mcdonagh cup to prove it but we will :D

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

oneshot wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:29 pm we might have to wait till 2201 mcdonagh cup to prove it but we will
I hope we don't have to wait that long!!

Liam2020
Senior

Post by Liam2020 »

I agree we are not ahead of either kerry or antrim at the moment.
Last year was a mess and yes we have some young lads in that have potential but we are also without lads that had huge experience and physicality, Joe Bergin Conor mahon Colin Egan and Shane dooley and pat camon injured.
Offaly supporters need to be patient, these game are lightly to be battles but they can be steps on the road to recovery.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

on to sunday and tough one down in tralee , i think we will shade it by a point or two .owe them one from last year in mcdonagh cup. we must keep our heads and keep 15 on the pitch we have the hurlers to get the win.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

oneshot wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:57 pm on to sunday and tough one down in tralee , i think we will shade it by a point or two .owe them one from last year in mcdonagh cup. we must keep our heads and keep 15 on the pitch we have the hurlers to get the win.
A win would be great.

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

A bit of negativity creeping on this topic within the forum.

The lads are after winning every game this year, this is the level we are at and its about time people realise that.

Traditionally Offaly should beat Kerry every time, not in the modern day. People should get there head out of there arses and get behind this team and stop draining the life out of the players with negativity.

Come on Offaly !!!!