Byrne v Duignan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Next County Board Chairman?

Tommy Byrne
54%
Michael Duignan
46%

Total votes: 41

LooseCannon
All Star

Byrne v Duignan

Post by LooseCannon »

Feel free to merge it into the meeting in Tullamore. Thought that this would be worthy of its own thread with the poll. Feel free to say who you voted for, why you did so etc. Also, feel free to predict the outcome of the upcoming convention in terms of what clubs will vote for who.
Last edited by LooseCannon on Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Byrne v Duignan

Post by SearingDrive »

LooseCannon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:55 pm Feel free to merge it into the meeting in Tullamore. Thought that this would be worthy of its own thread with the poll. So as to avoid Russian interference, votes will only count once a person states voted in a post below. Feel free to say who you voted for, why you did so etc. Also, feel free to predict the outcome of the upcoming convention in terms of what clubs will vote for who.
My vote is secret.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

SearingDrive wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:07 am
LooseCannon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:55 pm Feel free to merge it into the meeting in Tullamore. Thought that this would be worthy of its own thread with the poll. So as to avoid Russian interference, votes will only count once a person states voted in a post below. Feel free to say who you voted for, why you did so etc. Also, feel free to predict the outcome of the upcoming convention in terms of what clubs will vote for who.
My vote is secret.
As is mine. Just didn’t want a sudden influx to a poll if you get me. Ye all probably know who I voted for anyway, going on previous posts of mine.
Good Luck

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Any chance this can be merged in with the other thread. So all the talk from same topic can be kept together.

I voted for Duignan but I think Tommy will probably get it on the night.

I will elaborate on my reasons for voting for duignan later.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Hasselhoff wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:06 am Any chance this can be merged in with the other thread. So all the talk from same topic can be kept together.

I voted for Duignan but I think Tommy will probably get it on the night.

I will elaborate on my reasons for voting for duignan later.
I think it can be merged, but I think to use a poll, a new thread has to be opened. LS or BnaMman might be able to do it?
Good Luck

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Be a good fundraiser for a charity boxing match :shock:

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Duignan all day no underage structures - no success!

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Anyone but Duignan

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

allstar2010 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:01 pm Anyone but Duignan
Why?

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Weighing up the two candidates in terms of who I would vote for.

Tommy
Pros
He has been there a long time and knows the ropes.
Knows how to effectively chair a meeting.
Always there to help out in OCP for big games.
In fairness he acted decisively when dealing with Wallace during the football management debacle in 2018 and also with kevin martin with the hurlers in 2019. Another chairman might have let those two managers stay on.
Has appointed two good management teams in hurling and football for 2018.
Has done a good job for the county , in what can be a very difficult position time wise.

Cons
Lack of vision for the county and a proper plan of where we are going with regard to the coaching and the county teams.
Lack of want to change in numerous small areas within the county.
Was the hurling review plan implemented properly under his stewardship and is it at the moment?

Duignan
Pros
New blood and hopefully will implement change for the better. Change in Offaly is needed if we are to progress. If continue to do what we are doing , we just will remain the same or go backwards. Why have Carlow with only a handful of hurling clubs been able to beat us?
Has a vision and a plan - He has spoken in the media of having to develop a hurling culture and winning culture in our secondary schools. He hopes to copy the Dublin model of full time coaches and put 4 or 5 full time coaches into the different secondary schools across the county and will fundraise for this and hopefully get half funding from the leinster council and central council. Edenderry GAA already have moved towards this and got a full time coach in their club.
Imagine if there was a full time coach in St. Brendans , Banagher, Kilcormac, Tullamore ? all day every day to take the hurling teams and to work on the strength and conditioning ? If those started to win something then, maybe we would have a winning culture in our schools and county teams.
Has a track record in fundraising - OCP and Faithful fields. ( 900 k)
Brings Colm Cummins in as Assistant Chair who has good ideas on the fixtures and underage development.
Brings in a new Assistant Treasurer or Treasurer in Dervil Dolan, a qualified accountant to oversee finances in the county. We have seen how finances have been managed in other counties. Its not long ago that Croke Park had to bail us out?

Cons
Will he have the time to do the job properly?
Will he be in OCP to organise and run events like Tommy does at the moment?
Will he be able to make the changes and change for the better?
Will it just be the same old again with different faces but the same ways.
How will he do the media work on rte and do the county chair at the same time.
Does he realise how difficult and time consuming the job of chairperson will be?

Overall, I would give Duignan the vote, as at the moment, we are in freefall and we need a change and change for the better. Fair play to Duignan for putting himself forward and it is great to see the position contested. I think I would give him a vote and take a chance on him as we have seen where we are at the moment.

But... on the night of the convention, I think that Duignan will need every vote from every delegate to get in . I see a lot of delegates from clubs staying loyal to Tommy and I think he will get the vote by about 18 votes.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

What happens if there are more than two candidates for chairperson?

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

It goes to a proportional representation vote, with the lowest candidate being eliminated and their votes being transferred to the voters second preference.

On another note, I'm just wondering why so many posters here are voting for one candidate and not the other?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

County board worshipers on this forum they always have been!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:52 pm County board worshipers on this forum they always have been!
Far from it, very much so. The poll tells a lot. ....and I think that the clubs will back Tommy, and rightly so, in my, and many other people’s opinions. Just from talking to people from various clubs, that’s the vibe I’m getting. Please do tell of your true feelings.
Good Luck

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Why do you think clubs should continue to back the present chair?
Is duignan not a credible alternative or good enough candidate.
We need change in Offaly.. If we back the present chair will we have any change or improvements?

Lads spend a lifetime giving out about the county board but when an alternative emerges they don't want to do anything about it.