Byrne v Duignan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Next County Board Chairman?

Tommy Byrne
54%
Michael Duignan
46%

Total votes: 41

Bellewest
Junior C

Re: Byrne v Duignan

Post by Bellewest »

Bit ironic commenting on people throwing toys out of pram when the entire team of Duignan, Cummins, Gavin etc were going to stand down in the case that Duignan wasn’t elected Chairman.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

They are entitled to walk as were those who were going to walk away if duignan didn't get elected. Change was needed. A blind man could see that. Hopefully things work out for Offaly. 2020 success will be long to Tommy Byrne. From 2021 onwards will be for Duignan and co. A lot of work to be done and supported.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

76 votes to 62. 1 spoiled

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Only won by 14votes.... that’s embarrassing!

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

How is it embarrassing plenty of clubs would have cb delegates for years then take in the outgoing board. He done well to get in was never going to win by much.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Interesting times ahead for the new set up, big challenge for this group who I suspect will be under the spotlight from the get go, expectations will be high and results will be expected sooner rather than later. It will be interesting to see the 5 year plan and what results we can expect from it, one thing we badly crave is underage success. Good luck to all going forward

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Two officers down, not a good start for the new chairperson. Maybe Greenairfield might volunteer for a position on the county board , now that he got the desired result. A case of doing something constructive for a change, but It won't happen.
He will be his usual negative self.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I'm delighted with the result searing drive there will be plenty of positivity coming from me now that we got change.

Someone sounds a bit sour over the result tonight :lol:

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I can't get this episode of the Simpsons out of my head all week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boAWFriUsMo

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Best of luck to Michael and any newly elected officers. Fair play to the outgoing members. I wouldn't fancy any of them roles, and it takes serious dedication to take them on.
I had very limited dealings with Tommy Byrne- on each occasion, I would have to say he was very straight down the line. He listened to my point of view, and gave a balanced and well-constructed response; I always appreciated this, as I would have had preconceptions of him based on reading about him or listening to him in the media. I don't think he came across well in media, by comparison.
Mary Dunne will be a hard act to follow. Again, always found her fair and obliging from her time with fixtures, and her match coverage on Twitter was phenomenal.
Again, wishing the best to Michael and the new board. There's a lot of good foundation work in place, so hopefully it can be built on with tangible rewards sooner rather than later. Other counties will be working hard to, so it's all about getting the inside track and maximizing resources. There will be speed bumps and pitfalls along the way- I hope the groundswell of support sticks it out!!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:52 pm I'm delighted with the result searing drive there will be plenty of positivity coming from me now that we got change.

Someone sounds a bit sour over the result tonight :lol:
The delegates have made their decision, and I respect that.
I believe 5 officers have stepped down tonight, all respected and hard working, I wonder how many will step forward to replace them?
Good luck to the new team, good to see a contest at convention.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Maybe some of them will come back it's hard to let good people to go as good people are hard found.
Change was needed and the results proved that.
I have no doubt in my mind this a positive outcome and we will see the rewards in the next 5-10 years.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Glad there is change coming - though lot of work involved and lot of hands will be needed on deck! I am not so sure if the new group will be aware of level of work involved so best of luck with all.

Thanks to those outgoing who gave numerous volumes of hours all in a voluntary capacity for little or no thanks - with abuse often being the more likely description.

Very sorry to hear of 2 or three people stepping away voluntarily from current roles. There is no doubt that Mary Dunne will be sorely missed if not involved - she was a huge addition and covered a lot through social media etc. Ditto Brian Flynn and John Maloney - 2 very good people that could offer a lot in terms of expertise etc - Would like to think they all might reconsider so that we are not throwing baby out with bathwater.

Additionally, I hope that the handover is done in the best interests of the new group and Offaly GAA in general, though somehow, I think that there is strong chance that the baton will be passed with little or no info of what works well / not so well / lessons learned etc over the years.......

The new crew said that they would bring a groundswell of support - I hope to see that now where good people are willing to get involved for all the right reasons.......
jimbob

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Mary dunne will be a massive loss. She was a top class act and gave everything one hundred per cent. Offaly through and through.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Also I would not be a bit surprised to see any of the outgoing officers come back into the fold again in January.

I find it strange in some ways that they would step down.

It will allow the new chair to put people in various positions into place. Tommy's tenure would have been up in another two years time anyway.. Perhaps duignan should have waited until then.
Duignan has set the expectation level high and I hope he can deliver. It will take time

Maybe a lot of what Tommy had in place was taken for granted but maybe there are just as many capable people there now ready to step up.

Interestingly colm Cummins didn't have enough votes to secure assistant chair. Usually the same vote follows whatever the chair got.