Byrne v Duignan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Next County Board Chairman?

Tommy Byrne
54%
Michael Duignan
46%

Total votes: 41

offalys future2
Junior B

Re: Byrne v Duignan

Post by offalys future2 »

so Lone Shark will give his opinion each week in print and on here and twitter every other day and when an actual real important issue comes up he is on the fence. Hilarious.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

offalys future2 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:10 am so Lone Shark will give his opinion each week in print and on here and twitter every other day and when an actual real important issue comes up he is on the fence. Hilarious.
If you can't understand why it isn't appropriate for me to pick a side here, I don't know what I can say to you.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

offalys future2 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:18 am Quote from Tommy Byrne in Midland Tribune
" There is a lot of talk about strategic plans and those things are important but it is airy fairy stuff. A Strategic plan is grand if you can implement it but we have two strategic plans in football and hurling which we are implementing"

Brilliant. What a leader.

offalys future2
Junior B

Lone Shark wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:44 am
offalys future2 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:10 am so Lone Shark will give his opinion each week in print and on here and twitter every other day and when an actual real important issue comes up he is on the fence. Hilarious.
If you can't understand why it isn't appropriate for me to pick a side here, I don't know what I can say to you.
you honestly regard yourself too highly. As if your opinion will have any outcome on what happens on the 10th anyways.

"Again I will stress that until I talk to MD for the paper, and he's suggested to me that he will be happy to do that later this month, I'll reserve my personal judgement"

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

offalys future2 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:42 am you honestly regard yourself too highly. As if your opinion will have any outcome on what happens on the 10th anyways.
I never said it would. That doesn't mean I drop my professional standards.
offalys future2 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:42 am "Again I will stress that until I talk to MD for the paper, and he's suggested to me that he will be happy to do that later this month, I'll reserve my personal judgement"
And now that I've talked to the two of them, and presented their views to readers, I have my personal judgement. I've no issue sharing it with anyone who asks in a private capacity, but I'm not going to post it publicly, on here or in print.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalys future2
Junior B

all too airy fairy for me!

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

how many votes will there be next Tuesday?

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

There is a total valid poll of 141 of which 14 is the top table, plus 1 each from refs admin, handball, primary and post primary so leaves 123 votes from clubs.
Thats if everyone turns up. So a poll of 71 to get elected

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

We've had newspaper interviews aplenty, radio interviews, lads having meltdowns on Twitter and a whole pile shite talked on this message board over the last 2 months :mrgreen:

And how many have actually stopped to ask what is the job description of the Chairman? What are the limitations of the role? What can they do? What can they not do? If these questions keep you awake at night you are in luck because your aul mucker from Bracknagh has all the information you'll ever need about the role. Clear as mud.

Role Description
The Chairperson is the principal officer on the County Committee with responsibility for planning, organising and
managing the affairs of the GAA in the County. The Chairperson must be a leader with a vision on how to progress
the Association. The Chairperson plays a key role in ensuring that County Committee meetings function effectively
and efficiently, where decisions taken are acted on.

Reports/accountable to
County Committee/Provincial Council

Responsibilities
1: Chair County Committee and County Management Committee meetings
The Chairperson is responsible for making sure that each meeting is planned effectively, conducted
according to the rules of the Association and that matters are dealt with in an orderly and efficient
manner.
S/he must:
- Bring impartiality and objectivity to meetings and decision making
- Facilitate change and address conflict within the board/officers
- Facilitate those present to make their views, while maintaining control over the meeting
- Ensure that meetings are progressive and that decisions are implemented

2: Ensure that the County’s GAA affairs are managed effectively

The Chairperson must co-ordinate the affairs of the County Committee to ensure that appropriate
procedures are in place for the effective management of the affairs of the County.
S/he must:
- Keep an overview of all GAA activity ensuring corrective action is taken where needed
- Coordinate the committee to ensure responsibility for particular aspects of management are met
- Oversee the implementation of the County Strategic Plan
- Ensure that an annual Games Development Plan is in place for the County

3: Uphold the rules of the Association

The Chairperson must ensure that the rules of the Association are upheld at all times and must ensure
that Association policy is implemented in the County.

4: Represent the County
The Chairperson will be called upon to represent the County and sometimes be its spokesperson at various
functions, meetings etc... He should be aware of current issues that might affect the Association and should
always seek help and advice from the County PRO and County Secretary, if required. The Chairperson will
also be asked to attend meetings at National and Provincial level as required and should report back to the
County Committee on all matters of interest.

5: Be a leader and have a vision for the future of the GAA in the County
The Chairperson must have a vision for how the GAA in the County will progress and should ensure that
the County is operating to the County strategic plan. The Chairperson must be seen to ‘lead the County
Committee team’. This also involves regularly reviewing the Committee's performance and identifying and
managing the process for renewal of the Committee through recruitment of new members.

Skills Required
 Excellent leadership, planning, organisational, interpersonal and communication skills
 Excellent facilitation and negotiation skills
 Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up
 Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidentially
 Ability to delegate key tasks to other officers

Knowledge
 Be familiar with An Treoraí Oifigiúil
 Have sound knowledge of the Association
 Have experience of Committee involvement/people management

Other Requirements
 Have time to do the job
 Have a genuine interest in the Association
 Be of good standing in the community

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

So having listened to and read articles from both parties who are people leaning towards now, personally I would like to see change. In the past few years our county board seem to have been in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons rather than one of our teams actually winning something or progressing in development. I would like to see a new crew come in and get on with development and financing without actually reading anything about them until say an AGM at the end of the year. Focus on hurling and football and promote and make attractive the games to encourage the younger generation and instil in time our once great never say died attitude. Good luck to both men going forward.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

After listening to both interviews I also think change is required. Feel Duignan is bringing more to the table.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Having read the job spec repeatedly, there are words and phrases that stick out:
Be a Leader
Have a Vision
Oversee Implementation of Strategic Plan
Facilitate Change and address conflict
Excellent Leadership Skills
Interpersonal and communication skills
Facilitation and Negotiation Skills

I cannot for the life of me understand how people can even contemplate that what we have seen the last number of years from the Chairman, as the head of Offaly GAA, has demonstrated these skills or traits. I have read and listened to both men now and the contrast is striking when we talk about a leader, vision, interpersonal and communication skills.

How can people not want change? How do people think that how the county board has been lead over the last number of years has been progressive, has been on an upward trend, has vision, has overseen the implementation of any strategic plan etc? How can people say that the leader has inspired volunteers to get involved at any level?

Unfortunately I feel public opinion and delegate votes are not aligned for December 10th. If a vote of Offaly GAA patrons was held in the morning, I have no doubt whatsoever what way this would go but the hopes are pinned to club delegates and I have no confidence in their willingness for change.

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

a quick question...not having read the question/answer pieces in your local media, has Michael Duignan indicated if elected he will instantly drop his national media engagements?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

He has indicated. He's RTE contract is up for renewal and He will renew it.

This Year's Model
Junior B

Post by This Year's Model »

NewEra wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:14 pm Unfortunately I feel public opinion and delegate votes are not aligned for December 10th. If a vote of Offaly GAA patrons was held in the morning, I have no doubt whatsoever what way this would go but the hopes are pinned to club delegates and I have no confidence in their willingness for change.
Let's tease this one out. The GAA is the ultimate democracy. If a Club's Co Board Delegate is going to OCP and choosing to vote according to his/her own personal choice, instead of voting as mandated by the Club Executive, then there is nobody else to blame here except the individual members of that club who elected him/her to that role. Accountability starts and stops with each club member. The only public opinion that should matter here is the collective of those individuals who are paid-up active fully-engaged members of the 41 GAA clubs in this county.

Frankly, I think you could be right ... But if you are, whose fault is it? Certainly not Tommy Byrne's.