Byrne v Duignan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Next County Board Chairman?

Tommy Byrne
54%
Michael Duignan
46%

Total votes: 41

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Re: Byrne v Duignan

Post by feirmeoir »

What date is the convention on?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

offalys future2 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:58 pm It's unreal 8 years on and to see the same nonsense with Offaly GAA.

There is this line been peddled out at the moment that things are going great. Are people fuckin serious. The senior hurlers are not even eligible for the walsh cup ffs. And apart from 2 lucky draws in the qualifiers the footballers would be in the same boat as they always are.
Its very interesting to see outside of match scores how the twitter has increased no end over the past 2 months.
There is still no plan in place for the future of Offaly GAA.

Duignan i hope gets in. He along with Kieran Keenaghan and their committee raised the money for the faithful fields it had nothing to do with Tommy Byrne.

What is very obvious over the past few years is that as the county GAA has been totally mismanaged there are quite a few people that have filled the airwaves and newspapers with pure and utter tripe in order to enhance their profile. Namely - K.E, P.N, M.V, WOC, JT, BG, DR ..............the list goes on.
I see that Will O’Callaghan has cited this comment on Twitter. His name never even registered with me when seeing the letters WOC, which show the absurdity of the comment. He presents The Inside Line of a Sunday, and does a good job of it (bit too much soccer by times 😜).(sometimes a little bit too much Westmeath too!😉)

I may as well address this as a whole now.
I presume Kevin Egan is K.E. I don’t think that Kevin has really done any of the above, let alone to raise his profile. He did, what I thought was a very good podcast on Offaly GAA in “We Are Offaly”, discussing topics such as combination teams at adult level(which included a balanced argument, if I remember where Mary Dunne and a man involved in one of the divisional sides in Kerry were interviewed (Feale Rangers?)), etc, as well as discussion on club championships, and interviews with players such as Scott Brady and Niall Wynne. It also covered things such as the Offaly schools teams during the winter. There was an interview with Phil O’Reilly, as well as a chat with Paul McConway, who was involved with the Offaly schools football team. All in his own time. And may I add, the podcasts were thoroughly enjoyable listens, and I hope that there’d be a resurgence sometime in the future, either by Kevin Egan, or by someone else.

Pat Nolan is who I imagine you are referring to with P.N. Pat has been open with his criticism of the Offaly county board, particularly Tommy Byrne in the past. He just recently ghost wrote Eoin Larkin’s new autobiography, as well as working as a journalist for the Irish Daily Mirror. In the past, he wrote a book on the Furlongs, as well as having ghostwrote Michael Duignan’s autobiography. He’s a bestselling author. He’s a national journalist, he hardly needs to raise his profile. Generally has the Offaly GAA news of note before other journalists and outlets.

Michael Verney is a GAA (mainly hurling) and horse racing journalist. Former Offaly hurler, who appears on Shane Stapleton’s OurGame YouTube series (which is excellent), previewing and reviewing games, weighing up how games will go, etc. Also features in the Independent.ie’s GAA podcast: The Throw In. His profile getting bigger, but that’s more to do with the estimation in which he is held in as a journalist, and the opinions he offers.

I’ve already mentioned Will O’Callaghan up above, farcical suggestion.

Joe Troy? Meh, I don’t think so. He has commentated on successive relegations from Leinster and subsequently the Joe McDonagh. As I’ve only listened to some, and have been in attendance at more of the games, I cannot comment on the whole, but Joe is fair enough, from what I’ve heard. Obviously it’s hard to put a positive spin on things when things just aren’t going our way. The aftermath of the league game v Waterford in Thurles is in my mind with regard to that. He’s involved with his club in Drumcullen, and I commend them on the excellent work that they have done on their indoor astroturf/indoor ball wall area. It looks like a fine job.

Brian Gavin for some time has been vocal at county board meetings over various issues. He was criticised over the Wallace thing, and probably rightly so (even if we were landed with Wallace). Questioning players’ desire to hurl for Offaly by stating that some players only went in to get better and fitter for their clubs was wrong. Does a decent enough job at commentary (except Port Laoise last year v Wicklow). He also offers a few previews on a Friday with Séamus Duke on radio 3. According to local media, he is involved with the “highly powered” group, and he has been quiet enough lately, probably due to his involvement with said group. (The Tribune could yet tell otherwise from last Tuesday’s CB meeting!)

Daithí Regan is who I believe you are referring to when you have D.R. in your post. Daithí regularly contributed to OTB on Newstalk this year, and has commentated over the past year or two on Radio 3. Given his role by times with OTB, Daithí hardly needs to raise his profile. He was upset over when Joachim took over, leading to some players being brought into the team and panel ahead of others who trained since before the Walsh Cup. Understandably so. The manner in which he expressed his frustration wasn’t ideal, and he subsequently apologised for it.

What do all people above have in common?
They want what’s best for Offaly GAA. As does Tommy Byrne, I’m sure.

The fact that there was an unwillingness of the “high powered” group to work with the incumbent of the chairman’s position over their grievances, etc is why they will not get the required support. There’s a feeling that’s held throughout the county that the demand from the group for Tommy to step down was excessive and wrong.
There’s many issues, there’s things that have been sorted, there’s things that haven’t been sorted, there’s things yet to sort. We all want what’s best for Offaly, ultimately. I would sooner see Tommy win, but if Michael and the group have great ideas, then let’s implement them. Everyone should be working together for the betterment of Offaly, irrespective of the results of the convention in December, which I do think Tommy will win, but that’s not to say that the group don’t have fantastic initiatives lined up. Whatever about our differing opinions over various things, no matter how big or small, comical or not, we’re united by one thing: being from Offaly and wanting Offaly to be the best that they can be in all codes, be it at county, club and school level. That’s my tuppence worth for the time being.
My parting word for now,
Esto Fidelis.
Good Luck

offalys future2
Junior B

Post by offalys future2 »

Offaly have more men in the national media than any other county.
it's not their role to wash offaly's dirty linen in public which has happened on many occasions.

1. Speaking on National Radio highlighting that players liked a tweet from another player
2. Speaking on National Radio telling lies regarding events involving a player during/after a football game
3. Speaking on National Radio slating interim management
4. Speaking on National Radio slating Offaly county board and events that happened 10 years previously when he was on county panel
5. Pushing a vendetta against current chairman on social media for the past 6 years
6. Speaking on local radio slating team management and decisions they have made on several occasions
7. Publishing articles in national papers on several low key incidents in offaly gaa
8. Non supportive and ongoign critic of people who join the county board to do good

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

offalys future2 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:52 am Offaly have more men in the national media than any other county.
it's not their role to wash offaly's dirty linen in public which has happened on many occasions.

1. Speaking on National Radio highlighting that players liked a tweet from another player
2. Speaking on National Radio telling lies regarding events involving a player during/after a football game
3. Speaking on National Radio slating interim management
4. Speaking on National Radio slating Offaly county board and events that happened 10 years previously when he was on county panel
5. Pushing a vendetta against current chairman on social media for the past 6 years
6. Speaking on local radio slating team management and decisions they have made on several occasions
7. Publishing articles in national papers on several low key incidents in offaly gaa
8. Non supportive and ongoign critic of people who join the county board to do good

.... Bit ironic then that you hope Duignan gets the chairman role :D

offalys future2
Junior B

Post by offalys future2 »

while he has been a critic for his role in faithful fields, his role in his club and now his desire to become chairman - he is very different to others.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Joy Troy rightfully weighing in last night on Twitter regarding the upcoming contest for chairman after the Tribune allowed Byrne to tarnish his name without right to reply. I cannot understand how people can support Tommy Byrne and I find it unfathomable that he will more than likely win the upcoming vote. He is at the centre of controversy after controversy and is all that is wrong with Offaly GAA. I have no faith in club delegates for change however...I would love to see them cut the head off the snake and watch the rest leave with him but I don't hold out much hope.

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

NewEra wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:44 am Joy Troy rightfully weighing in last night on Twitter regarding the upcoming contest for chairman after the Tribune allowed Byrne to tarnish his name without right to reply. I cannot understand how people can support Tommy Byrne and I find it unfathomable that he will more than likely win the upcoming vote. He is at the centre of controversy after controversy and is all that is wrong with Offaly GAA. I have no faith in club delegates for change however...I would love to see them cut the head off the snake and watch the rest leave with him but I don't hold out much hope.
On Joe Troys comments on Twitter last night, Byrne made a business decision that he felt that Offaly TV could be better ran by the county board(which I think it is) in its new form. Byrne was asked by the interviewee about that and gave his reply and never referenced Joe Troy. Perhaps he spoke to the guy (name i cannot remember) who was behind the initial start up. I actually thought Troy was just the commentator for it and nothing else(I could be wrong). Also every county board chairman has to make tough decisions in which people may not be happy with, would Duignan if chairman have gone along with Troy and went with their Offaly TV idea even if it was not the best decision for the County Board?

I am not going to comment on other allegations as they are 1 mans word against another.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Respectively, I see you are from Gracefield so perhaps bias aside, I feel you are missing the point. He is lying. 'They didn't come back to us'. They did and were stonewalled. 'I picked up the phone and stopped it there and then'. Again lies. It was stopped alright but no direct contact was ever made, which would be common courtesy if nothing else. Regarding your other point, the dog on the street knows who he was referring to. It is also my opinion that business decisions are not and have never been the strength of this chairman. It they were, the CB would have been run like an efficient business to begin with.

Is it just coincidence that Duignan is contradicting Byrne when it comes to asking him to stand down? Again, someone is lying.

I cannot claim to be a massive fan of Duignan but what I am is a believer that with Duignan will come very good people who are willing to get involved (but not with the current set up) and as a package will offer Offaly GAA a badly needed lease of life.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Joe Troy should delete them tweets and stop embarrassing himself. Its a pathetic attempt to kick start an unnecessary mudslinging contest.
He claims he was "cornered" in the press box in OCP and told stop criticising the county board. He's a big chap is Joe so who was it that cornered him and how many of them were there? He'd be well able too look after himself surely or what am I missing here? Also "a county board rep" went in to ask him his thoughts on the high powered group as Tommy Byrne lurked outside the door listening. Ah here this is all comical stuff and an attempt to turn this thing ugly. The quotation marks in the newspaper clip of what Byrne said show he never mentioned Joe Troy. Lads cop on, absolutely no need for this childish shite regardless of what side you support in this contest.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

If Mr.Byrne and his buddies do get in again I suppose the only bright side of it is I can say I told you so in 5 years or 10 years time...pack of uneducated monkeys!

Sure Offaly is flying it!

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Nothing to see here move along. Everything is perfect in Offaly GAA. No need to change.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

What are the pros and cons to the two men? On the face of it, what can be done by the chairman in reality. The level that Offaly find themselves at now are in my view not down to the holder of the chairmanship. For now, there are two good senior mgt teams at senior level. Hopefully success will come in the hurling as they have more scope to improve than the footballers who are playing at a higher standard .Coaching and games operating as well to be expected in the last 3 to 4 years. The real issue that I see, which I could be wrong on , is the lack of engagement from clubs to up skill their coaches and progress players on to reach their full potential. There is a skills assessment going on at development squads and players who enter system at u13 level in the vast majority cannot strike a ball of both sides. This is before they even reach development squads.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

private joker wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:43 am What are the pros and cons to the two men? On the face of it, what can be done by the chairman in reality. The level that Offaly find themselves at now are in my view not down to the holder of the chairmanship. For now, there are two good senior mgt teams at senior level. Hopefully success will come in the hurling as they have more scope to improve than the footballers who are playing at a higher standard .Coaching and games operating as well to be expected in the last 3 to 4 years. The real issue that I see, which I could be wrong on , is the lack of engagement from clubs to up skill their coaches and progress players on to reach their full potential. There is a skills assessment going on at development squads and players who enter system at u13 level in the vast majority cannot strike a ball of both sides. This is before they even reach development squads.
These are the real issues here! And not two egos going head to head. Also something not right about other candidates pulling out if Duignan doesn’t get chairman role.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

allstar2010 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:59 pm
private joker wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:43 am What are the pros and cons to the two men? On the face of it, what can be done by the chairman in reality. The level that Offaly find themselves at now are in my view not down to the holder of the chairmanship. For now, there are two good senior mgt teams at senior level. Hopefully success will come in the hurling as they have more scope to improve than the footballers who are playing at a higher standard .Coaching and games operating as well to be expected in the last 3 to 4 years. The real issue that I see, which I could be wrong on , is the lack of engagement from clubs to up skill their coaches and progress players on to reach their full potential. There is a skills assessment going on at development squads and players who enter system at u13 level in the vast majority cannot strike a ball of both sides. This is before they even reach development squads.
These are the real issues here! And not two egos going head to head. Also something not right about other candidates pulling out if Duignan doesn’t get chairman role.
The chairperson as you correctly say, cannot do much about the decline in standards of county teams. We don't have the players at the moment to challenge at the top level. There are good management teams in stu for the footballers and hurlers.
Regarding the contests at convention, I think all candidates should stand, regardless of the voting result for chairman. It is good to have posts contested, and withdrawing if Michael Duignan fails to become chairperson, does not add up in my opinion.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:50 pm If Mr.Byrne and his buddies do get in again I suppose the only bright side of it is I can say I told you so in 5 years or 10 years time...pack of uneducated monkeys!

Sure Offaly is flying it!
I can't let this go unchallenged or not picked up - this is a disgraceful comment. There is absolutely no call for personal abuse of anyone on this forum, it is way beyond the pale in terms of what's acceptable.

I'm not going to get drawn into the right or wrong choice for chairman - that's a decision that every club has to make, and in fairness to the two candidates, they spoke to Kevin Corrigan for the Tribune, they spoke to me for the Offaly Independent and they have agreed to speak to Will O'Callaghan on Sunday. I won't speak for the others, but in my case, they were both very respectful of the process, and of each other. Michael Duignan strongly disagrees with a lot of what Tommy does, and that's why he's standing for the contest, but he never descended into a slanging match. Similarly TB welcomed the contest, and said that he felt either way, it would benefit the county. Either he goes back in with a vote of confidence from the clubs, or a change of direction is wanted and is provided.

What is patently clear is that both men are interested in taking on the role in 2020 for the good of Offaly GAA, and have no selfish interest in doing so. They bring different skills and different experiences, and it's for the clubs to decide what would serve Offaly best. Either way, they deserve our respect and appreciation for offering their time and energy. Disagree with their decisions and their actions all you like, but personal abuse isn't good enough. Cop on.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.