Byrne v Duignan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Next County Board Chairman?

Tommy Byrne
54%
Michael Duignan
46%

Total votes: 41

frankthetank
All Star

Re: Byrne v Duignan

Post by frankthetank »

We all know that the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If we reappoint Tommy Byrne et all the wheel will keep on turning and we'll get nowhere. Is Michael Duignan the best candidate in the county for the Chair? Absolutely not and I actually feel the group missed a trick by not pushing Colm Cummins for the Chairman's job. But Christ almighty we need change. If you were a CEO of a company and its profile was where we were now would you reappoint the same guys in the same positions. Absolutely not!!

Our hurlers next year are competing in the tournament for teams ranked 16 and below in Ireland. Just ponder that for a second.

Our senior footballers Leinster Championship record since 2007 is an appalling P13 W1 D1 L11. That's actually scandalous.

A large portion of South Offaly supporters feel completely alienated by the decision to host so many club and county games in OCP AND by club championship structures that seem to be perfectly suited to the football in the county but not to hurling. See the current plight of Seir Kieran and Kinnitty as an example.

And actually LS considering you have been on review committees for senior championships in Offaly do you not feel there is a conflict of interest when you are so blatantly promoting the current incumbents?

Colm Cummins is a former chairman of probably the most progressive club in the county, Stephen Darby as held various roles with Cumann na mBunscol and I would hazard a guess has held the chair in Rhode. Do you think these guys are amateurs and the only people in the county who can run the county board are what is there now? Please give me a break.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:18 pm
Colm Cummins is a former chairman of probably the most progressive club in the county,
True. In fact they are so progressive they ditched hurling completely. Thats a fair achievement in an area of it's size and given the history of hurling for over 100 years there. Very progressive! This happened on Cummins watch.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Currently two primary schools in the town are fielding hurling teams.

Were in the Minor B hurling final a couple of years ago and lost to a CRC team that had no business being in the B championship.

How is the hurling going in Bracknagh NS as a matter of interest?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

There’s 88 kids in St Broghan’s NS Bracknagh.

Edenderry has 5 schools.
——

That’s just primary schools. Both genders accounted for, but they should be in rough proportion.
1383:88
15.72:1
So essentially 16:1

Edenderry has a population of 8,813.
The second biggest town in Offaly. It must also be taken into consideration that they’d have permission players from Rhode, Croghan, Clonmore, Ballyfore anyway.

I’m sure that Bracknaghboy might verify this, but I’m sure that Bracknagh have a tradition of allowing players hurl with Gracefield, should they so desire.

Edenderry can’t be excused for the lack of a hurling team under any circumstances. If Gracefield can field a hurling team, Edenderry should be able to field two, at the very least, especially given permissions. Clareen fielded 3 teams this year. With a parish population of Seir Kieran 492. Context.
Good Luck

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Has Greenairfield just acknowledged the progress made by a North Offaly hurling team!!!! :shock: :D :D :D

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Pick it up whatever way you want :lol:

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

When you break down some of the figures from other posters here it actually scandalous that Clareen can field 3 teams and a town the size of Edenderry let hurling go over the past 5 years! I’ve said it before and il say it again as long as there is a football minded committee with no hurling representation on board hurling will play second fiddle. One can only admire the likes of Ferbane/ Belmont who had a wonderful season in both codes this year! Edenderry with a population heading for 10,000, would it be time to start thinking about setting up a hurling club separate from Edenderry GAA where by all efforts are put into one code, after all there are two different soccer clubs who’s numbers are growing every year.

TheSalmon1
Junior B

Post by TheSalmon1 »

Last edited by TheSalmon1 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

LooseCannon wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:26 pm There’s 88 kids in St Broghan’s NS Bracknagh.

Edenderry has 5 schools.
——

That’s just primary schools. Both genders accounted for, but they should be in rough proportion.

The second biggest town in Offaly. It must also be taken into consideration that they’d have permission players from Rhode, Croghan, Clonmore, Ballyfore anyway.

I’m sure that Bracknaghboy might verify this, but I’m sure that Bracknagh have a tradition of allowing players hurl with Gracefield, should they so desire.

Edenderry can’t be excused for the lack of a hurling team under any circumstances. If Gracefield can field a hurling team, Edenderry should be able to field two, at the very least, especially given permissions. Clareen fielded 3 teams this year. With a parish population of Seir Kieran 492. Context.
The permission for other players to play with Edenderry was knocked on the head a few years back I think

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

kingscounty wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:01 am
LooseCannon wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:26 pm There’s 88 kids in St Broghan’s NS Bracknagh.

Edenderry has 5 schools.
——

The permission for other players to play with Edenderry was knocked on the head a few years back I think
Was that when permissions were granted, only for Edenderry to pull out, or something of the likes?
I see Anton Sullivan got permission to hurl with Gracefield this year, and I’m aware that he resides in Portarlington.

It’s a farce really, let’s be honest. When a player (rodge Hanlon) from the second biggest town in the county seeks permission to hurl with Tullamore, or any club for that matter.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

If you look at the county board management committee for 2019.
Tommy Byrne (Gracefield-Dual) Chairperson
Niall Gleeson (Kilcormac/Killoughey-Dual) Vice Chairperson
Pat Horan (St Rynagh’s Hurling-Hurling) Secretary
Pauric Pierce (Raheen-Football) Assistant Secretary (fixtures)
Jimmy Hogan (Birr-Dual) Treasurer
Brian Flynn (Ferbane-Football) Assistant Treasurer
Mary Dunne (Ballyfore-Football) PRO
Paddy Scales (St Rynagh’s Hurling-Hurling) Central Council Delegate
Dolores Slevin (Kilcormac/Killoughey-Dual) Leinster Council Delegate
Joe Higgins (Tubber-Football) Leinster Council Delegate
James Murphy (Rhode-Football) Development Officer
Nora Kavanagh (Tullamore-Dual) Childern’s Officer
John Maloney (Tullamore-Dual) Cultural Officer
Martin Cashen (Carrig & Riverstown-Hurling) Coaching Officer
Ger Maher (Shinrone-Hurling) Coiste na nÓg Chairperson

Breakdown of clubs:
Dual: 6
Football only: 5
Hurling only: 4

The idea that it’s a football orientated board is kinda farcical. Pretty balanced actually. That being said, it’d be great if the people were from a greater spread of clubs, but it’s fairly balanced between the two codes.
Good Luck

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

They've started from scratch but there are actually 3 underage hurling teams in Edenderry in 2019 & you'd have to imagine that should grow to at least 4-5 next year. Someone suggested here a while back that this was done in order to get money but refused to clarify the comment. I've never heard of the county board paying clubs to enter teams but perhaps that is a new rule I'm not familiar with. I always thought you actually paid the county board to enter a team....

It may not please everyone, especially does intent on being negative, but you have to start somewhere. From the outside looking in, similar to Offaly hurling, this problem didn't start in the last 5 or 6 years. Hurling must have been neglected going back over the last 20 years.

With the addition of teams from St Broughan's and St Vincent's (7 clubs in total huge population) there's no reason why hurling shouldn't grow in North Offaly. Unless the "we've no tradition of hurling" brigade start piping up again trying to cover up their own clubs flaws.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

LooseCannon wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:54 am If you look at the county board management committee for 2019.
Tommy Byrne (Gracefield-Dual) Chairperson
Niall Gleeson (Kilcormac/Killoughey-Dual) Vice Chairperson
Pat Horan (St Rynagh’s Hurling-Hurling) Secretary
Pauric Pierce (Raheen-Football) Assistant Secretary (fixtures)
Jimmy Hogan (Birr-Dual) Treasurer
Brian Flynn (Ferbane-Football) Assistant Treasurer
Mary Dunne (Ballyfore-Football) PRO
Paddy Scales (St Rynagh’s Hurling-Hurling) Central Council Delegate
Dolores Slevin (Kilcormac/Killoughey-Dual) Leinster Council Delegate
Joe Higgins (Tubber-Football) Leinster Council Delegate
James Murphy (Rhode-Football) Development Officer
Nora Kavanagh (Tullamore-Dual) Childern’s Officer
John Maloney (Tullamore-Dual) Cultural Officer
Martin Cashen (Carrig & Riverstown-Hurling) Coaching Officer
Ger Maher (Shinrone-Hurling) Coiste na nÓg Chairperson

Breakdown of clubs:
Dual: 6
Football only: 5
Hurling only: 4

The idea that it’s a football orientated board is kinda farcical. Pretty balanced actually. That being said, it’d be great if the people were from a greater spread of clubs, but it’s fairly balanced between the two codes.
I wasn’t referring to the county board my good man I was referring to the committee in Edenderry as to having all football orientated members on the committee, that’s not farcical at all!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Anyway this is kinda getting off topic on Byrne v Duignan maybe needs a different thread

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

offalyman08 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:30 am They've started from scratch but there are actually 3 underage hurling teams in Edenderry in 2019 & you'd have to imagine that should grow to at least 4-5 next year. Someone suggested here a while back that this was done in order to get money but refused to clarify the comment. I've never heard of the county board paying clubs to enter teams but perhaps that is a new rule I'm not familiar with. I always thought you actually paid the county board to enter a team....

It may not please everyone, especially does intent on being negative, but you have to start somewhere. From the outside looking in, similar to Offaly hurling, this problem didn't start in the last 5 or 6 years. Hurling must have been neglected going back over the last 20 years.

With the addition of teams from St Broughan's and St Vincent's (7 clubs in total huge population) there's no reason why hurling shouldn't grow in North Offaly. Unless the "we've no tradition of hurling" brigade start piping up again trying to cover up their own clubs flaws.
Not sure but I think you can apply for grants from Croke Park and as a dual club it’s surely a bigger grant could be wrong, you are right it’s probably a problem that’s 20 year or more in the making but the current committee crew are in place for close to 12-15 years of that! Great to see young lads playing the game in the town, it badly needs to start in every school in the town and not just a token gesture it has to be competitive.