Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No, that's them all. London are graded Christy Ring but they, like Warwickshire and Lancashire had to withdraw from the hurling this year.

Down and Kildare, as round 2A winners, are through to the semi-finals. Wicklow, beaten by Roscommon, are already out. So Derry v Offaly and Rosgommon v Sligo are effectively quarter-finals.

By the looks of it, Derry v Offaly is at a neutral venue of Newry owing to the distance between the two counties and the logistics of travelling. Which is a little relief.

Derry have had two matches this winter, a NHL D2 final against Down and last Saturday's Christy Ring game, also against Down. Having had those games will naturally be an advantage to the Ulster side, while on the other hand they failed to close both out, which were tight affairs. And they started on Saturday with just three from Ulster club champions Slaughtneil.
SearingDrive wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:04 pm Christy Ring Cup teams.
Offaly Kildare Wicklow. Derry Down. Roscommon Sligo. Did I leave out any team?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Thanks for clearing that up. The dreaded virus has affected the championships. As the game is in Nor'n Iron, can spectators attend? Seems like more latitude in sporting and spiritual matters north of the border.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Saw kildare vs wicklow on YouTube. Offaly need to win all matches by 10 points or more or they are in real trouble.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hi PJ, did not see or listen to that game.

Is your point that you were not impressed w what you saw, or (?).

Thx.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The match between kildare and wicklow was on a par with maybe Rynaghs vs BIrr league match. Handy enough, but not intercounty. Very slow pace, loads of time on the ball and no urgency usually associated with top level hurling. No disrespect to either rynaghs or birr by the way!!!!. You can actually see highlights of the derry down game on pairc TV. They are showing the offaly /derry game also.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

while not out and about socially too much to know what is going on, I seen on Midland Tribune that Leon Fox, Mark Egan and Sean Dolan have left the Offaly panel for various reasons, Dolan in particular will be a huge loss as he was hurling as best as I ever seen with Rynaghs upto the post poned county final...Mark Egan and Leon Fox would certainly also be valuable panel members and no doubt would feature during CR cup campaign...I see the door has opened for few more though, and no doubt they will freshen up the squad abit too...

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:07 pm while not out and about socially too much to know what is going on, I seen on Midland Tribune that Leon Fox, Mark Egan and Sean Dolan have left the Offaly panel for various reasons, Dolan in particular will be a huge loss as he was hurling as best as I ever seen with Rynaghs upto the post poned county final...Mark Egan and Leon Fox would certainly also be valuable panel members and no doubt would feature during CR cup campaign...I see the door has opened for few more though, and no doubt they will freshen up the squad abit too...
Who are the new faces in the squad?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

in current squad, Paddy Rigney, Adrian Hynes and just cant think of the third now to be honest...

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

private joker wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:36 pm The match between kildare and wicklow was on a par with maybe Rynaghs vs BIrr league match. Handy enough, but not intercounty. Very slow pace, loads of time on the ball and no urgency usually associated with top level hurling. No disrespect to either rynaghs or birr by the way!!!!. You can actually see highlights of the derry down game on pairc TV. They are showing the offaly /derry game also.
Thx for this.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:13 pm in current squad, Paddy Rigney, Adrian Hynes and just cant think of the third now to be honest...
Joey Keenaghan Clodiagh Gaels is also called in to the SH panel.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Any news on the Offaly team for Derry game tomorrow?

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

SearingDrive wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:04 pm Any news on the Offaly team for Derry game tomorrow?
Offaly (Christy Ring Cup Hurling v Derry): Stephen Corcoran (Coolderry); Damien Egan (Belmont), Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s), Paddy Delaney (Kinnitty); Dan Doughan (Shinrone), Cillian Kiely (Kilcormac-Killoughey), David King (Coolderry); Eoghan Cahill (Birr), David Nally (Belmont); Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty), Jason Sampson (Shinrone), Peter Geraghty (Kilcormac-Killoughey); Colm Gath (Drumcullen), Oisin Kelly (Belmont), Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels).

Subs: James Dempsey (Kinnitty), Ciaran Burke (Durrow), Brendan Murphy (Birr), David O’Toole Greene (Shamrocks), Sean Cleary (Shinrone), Thomas Geraghty (Kilcormac-Killoughey), Aidan Treacy (St Ryangh’s), Brian Duignan (Durrow), Ross Ravenhill (Durrow), Adrian Hynes (Seir Kieran), Kevin Dunne (Seir Kieran).

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

JimBwobb wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:00 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:04 pm Any news on the Offaly team for Derry game tomorrow?
Offaly (Christy Ring Cup Hurling v Derry): Stephen Corcoran (Coolderry); Damien Egan (Belmont), Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s), Paddy Delaney (Kinnitty); Dan Doughan (Shinrone), Cillian Kiely (Kilcormac-Killoughey), David King (Coolderry); Eoghan Cahill (Birr), David Nally (Belmont); Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty), Jason Sampson (Shinrone), Peter Geraghty (Kilcormac-Killoughey); Colm Gath (Drumcullen), Oisin Kelly (Belmont), Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels).

Subs: James Dempsey (Kinnitty), Ciaran Burke (Durrow), Brendan Murphy (Birr), David O’Toole Greene (Shamrocks), Sean Cleary (Shinrone), Thomas Geraghty (Kilcormac-Killoughey), Aidan Treacy (St Ryangh’s), Brian Duignan (Durrow), Ross Ravenhill (Durrow), Adrian Hynes (Seir Kieran), Kevin Dunne (Seir Kieran).
Thanks for that. James Dempsey a sub, Conor Langton not in match day squad.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Yeah I seen Brian Watkins not in the squad.

Shane Dooley ommitted too, I thought he was fit again after the football championship.

Anyone else?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

not too upto speed with all the players, I assume that is our best team as such from the players available...I see one or two subs whom I would be lobbing in there like young Duignan etc...assuming that is that the team picked is the strongest in the managments oppinion...I wish that team starting the best, wouldnt it be great if we got a win and a good win at that..something like 5-20 to 0-15 or something, really will that happen, but I know it could be 0-20 to 0-17 or something...hard to know it may not be a walk in the park...