Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by Bord na Mona man »

This minor result is a great fill up for Offaly hurling. Though right now we can't say for sure how good or bad Leix are.
However there has been consistent improvement in how things are being run in Offaly underage hurling and I would like to think this is evidence.

When things were good at senior level a quarter of a century ago, the failing underage production line barely got noticed. In recent years we've had the opposite, the calamities at senior level meant flak flying in all directions even though many of the underage problems were being put right.

This clip from Twitter should please viewers. Offaly players looking up and playing smart balls instead of lamping it. Patrick Taaffe could have easily smashed it back down the tramlines into traffic but instead looked up and found and option for the out ball.
How many throwback coaches would have urged Cormac Egan to "drriiive it" in the general direct of the square instead of finding a colleague with the short ball?
https://twitter.com/i/status/1317579739444510721

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

All underage inter County is to cease in level 5 restrictions. That's very unfortunate.

seany123
Junior B
Club: Junior

Post by seany123 »

See its going ahead now for tonight anyway. Westmeath are not playing two lads on their Senior Panel tonight as could be used on Saturday, and that game is in jeopardy now to as Antrim lads being tested after Positive Covid, Cork Co Football final on in March 2021, whole thing a mess.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

where did you see that, anything i have read is all very blurred to be honest...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

where did you see that, anything i have read is all very blurred to be honest...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Under 21 game goes ahead tonight. Championship is suspended from midnight. Can't see it being finished.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Its all over the news? Very unlikely these competitions will finish

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Irish independent reporting we will have to give Kildare a walkover due to a covid positive test for a player in the panel.

May i suggest getting together 24 lads from the clubs that were due to play the co finals. They were still in training up to very recently. I reckon we have enough quality in those teams to give kildare a rattle.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Good win for u20s. Seem like a solid enough performance. Hopefully they get to finish it out at some stage.
Seniors in trouble. Its a little perplexing that only the "smaller " counties seem to have cases and none of the so called big guns don't seem to be getting any cases. Waterford footballers giving a walk over this week also.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

the Leitrim manager was looked on with distain almost in some quarters last weekend, and at the time, I thought he spoke the truth...hard to see some of the bigger counties, where cases are rocketting are not affected...I didnt follow the Offaly game last night but seen the starting line up so assume it is easy to see who was missing from that...hopefully the game goes ahead on Saturday...interesting to see will Dublin ever have to call of a football (or hurling game) in the cominng weeks...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:03 pm the Leitrim manager was looked on with distain almost in some quarters last weekend, and at the time, I thought he spoke the truth...hard to see some of the bigger counties, where cases are rocketting are not affected...I didnt follow the Offaly game last night but seen the starting line up so assume it is easy to see who was missing from that...hopefully the game goes ahead on Saturday...interesting to see will Dublin ever have to call of a football (or hurling game) in the cominng weeks...
You can guarantee there are cases in other, bigger counties, look at the incidents in the border counties, and in Dublin recently. I see Roscommon footballers haveincidents in the panel, but they are committed to playing Cavan on Saturday.
It would be a disappointment not to play Kildare in the Christy Ring Cup. Is that competition run on a league basis, or knockout ?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Think you can lose your first game. Lose 2nd and your gone

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:46 pm Think you can lose your first game. Lose 2nd and your gone
Thanks for that. Offaly County Board will meet and decide tonight, if the game can be played. I read recently that Offaly are favourites to win the competition, may have to do it the hard way, here's hoping we can field a team.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly have given a walkover. This is going to be a messy year

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

there are no guarantees anymore for Offaly I am afraid, pity we had to concede this..adds to pressure of next game..if there is one...