Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by Fairplayalways »

greenairfield wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:55 am Fairplay always just out of curiosity...what did Dylan Hayden score off Kiely in the county semi final last year??

We are talking about the same lad here,,?

Dylan Hayden the 36 year old
cant remember exactly how many, he had a good game I know, 3/4 points off Kiely, fair enough, doesnt mean Kiely is a rubbish hurler, if fairness many on her correctly argued that Dylan Hayden would have had something to offer Offaly, but he isnt there and that is that. Most days Kiely does perform very well for K/K and Offaly, leaving the red mist aside..we could throw up another one off and say Oisin Kelly isnt a great hurler becasue Conneely had his number in the other Offaly semi final last year, chances of curtailing/keeping scorless a good player every time you mark him isnt always going to happen...both defenders and forwards have to take the good days with the bad...

Smallball-1
Junior C

Post by Smallball-1 »

Wasn’t at the match yesterday but I’m interested to know how the half back line went with the few changes in it?anyone able to give me an insight

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

No the reason I made that example about Hayden is because his best days are well behind him but yet he managed to clean out Kiely who you say is Offalys best hurler.

Kiely for me is 50/50 to be on any Offaly team simply cos I dont know whether he will turn around and strike someone.
I'd rather start someone else who has the right level of attitude.

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

Birr CS play the Leinster B final tomorrow v Ard Scoil Ris (Marino) in a game that was put back from last Saturday.
Winners play Cross and Passion (Antrim) in the AI semi final next Saturday.

juteman
County player

Post by juteman »

Greenairfield your comment on Kiely is unfair. It gives the impression that he randomly goes around whacking people. That’s not the case. He’s one of the very few we have who has the skill and stature who could make it on a top div. 1 team.
JUTEMAN

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I disagree there isnt a player on the current offaly team who would make a top side thats just unfortunately a reality.

Kielys record speaks for itself

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

Greenfield I agree kiely didn't have a great game against birr but kk were very poor that day.
B conneely struggled on J gorman in 2017 final but he was man of the match in this year's final on d hayden.
Is J gorman better than d hayden.?
The truth is some days even the best players don't play to their potental.
Both guys have the potential to dominate a game when their on top form and going forward we need them to lead offaly recovery over the next few years.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Liam2020 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:05 am Greenfield I agree kiely didn't have a great game against birr but kk were very poor that day.
B conneely struggled on J gorman in 2017 final but he was man of the match in this year's final on d hayden.
Is J gorman better than d hayden.?
The truth is some days even the best players don't play to their potental.
Both guys have the potential to dominate a game when their on top form and going forward we need them to lead offaly recovery over the next few years.

jordan quinn was on Hayden in last years semil wasn’t he .Kiely hurl midfield for k/k in the semil final.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

I reckon 99% of posters here will agree that a fit and available Kiely is a guaranteed starter... end of discussion move on, getting ridiculous now.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

some people just dont like Kiely, one individual told me at a match last year that "oh Kielys father is here, he will get inside yer mans head now"..I couldnt believe what this so called knowledgable hurling man was saying!! I see it in my local club, some, especially some who have been involved at some level previously with their club side and now are not, carry what to me are personal clashes they had with the player over into conversation when the player is under new management etc..very unfair in ways, its ok to say "yeah, I had him, had problems with him in my day" but leave it at that...Kiely is one of our best hurlers now, if he putting in the shift in training and doing his best for management and team, leave him alone..I dont know the chap personally, so I am keeping my views totally on hurling, I just used the example above of the comment about him to show how some people think...amazing...wishing him and all involved the best of luck in the remainder of league and Christy Ring...we wont be back in Leinster too soo with the way congress are chopping and changing rules...

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I have yet to see him stand out for Offaly.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

greenairfield wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:19 pm I have yet to see him stand out for Offaly.

name me that have over the past 4 to 5 years.

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

C kiely é cahill R Hughes B connelly ó kelly and C doughan are all around 23. they should be reaching their peak in the next 12 months. The have 6 or 7 years if lucky at the top hopefully offaly will be back at the top table during that time.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Offaly have lost alot of competitive games over the last few years, its not anyone individuals fault, that happens when counties are in decline, one or more good hurlers will come during that valley period and will be to the fore, but the county will never win any competition during that time, if the payers are exceptional, and they are fortunate for "the valley period to end" by another talented batch coming on, then, and only then, they first batch might be lucky to win some competition, for example Offaly winning 1988 AI U21 football, 9/10 years later Vinny Claffey and Peter Brady etc. were at the tailend of their careers but were fortunate another bunch came on and they won the Leinster in 1997 and League in 98. Hurling is no different and dont be surprised, most genuine GAA people wont be, that its highly likely that many of the forementioned good players mentioned in earlier posts wont win anything major with Offaly, in 30 years time its only the players with silverware will be remembered as "great hurlers" and the ones who win nothing will be remembered only by the true hurling people, even now when talking of great players of the past, you mention Dermot McCurtain of Cork (he done a few years with Cork before winning an AI medal) to some people and they havent heard of him. Then some who never won a medal at all of any description, out of the following the odd one might have a league medal and thats when people liked winning the league, such as Cyril Donellan (Clare) Paddy kelly (Limerick) Kieran Brennan (Kilkenny) John Taylor (Laois) Mark Foley (Limerick), Cathal Casey (Cork - retired young with injury) these are just a flavour of players who were on teams that never really won anything with their counties, yet they and 3 or 4 more on their teams at the time would have been "stars" at the time, yet because they havent won anything of note, namely an AI medal, some hurling folk apparently never heard of them. I could have named another 100 names here and I still would leave out some very good/great players with their counties in the past whom never went on to win anything major with their counties...just showing that because Offaly arent winning doesnt mean we dont have good players..they may come and go without ever winning anything, c'est la vie.....

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Looking ahead to the weekend, I think we need Ben and Kiely at 3 and 6 to win.

A must win game for and we have conceded too many goals (6) and Antrim have scored the most (11) in the last 4 games.

David O Toole played well last week but is not a full back, more of a wing back. Good in the air and with ball in hand but poor with low 50/50 tussles.

Good to see Ciarain Burke back also.

Hope its a case that Fennelley didn't risk any players so they would be available this weekend.