Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Theexpert
Junior C

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by Theexpert »

Somewhat similar:

Dempsey
M Cleary
Connelly
Rigney
D Doughan
Kiely
Murphy
King
Fox
Cahill
Kinsella
P gearaghy
D Nally
Ó kelly
S cleary

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:23 pm Grumbling in Kerry because Offaly v Antrim will be played after Kerry play their final game. But there is NO stipulation that each team play their final round of games simultaneously. (That would never work if there was an odd number of teams in a group.)

That, and Antrim presumably have accommodation and transport booked for their trip to Kerry next weekend. Deferring that trip would be costly, particularly on the back of a previously postponed trip to Tullamore.
They can silence their own grumbling by taking care of Antrim. Its in their own hands. What are we to do? Outlaw rain?

To your point, any shuffling comes at a cost (a completely unwarranted cost IMHO).
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

anyone any views on moving Kiely up the field a bit further?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Hes done well to be on the team to be honest

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

If he gets another red in the near future I reckon we wont see him in an Offaly Jersey for a long time.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:52 pm Hes done well to be on the team to be honest
Would you stop!! First name on the sheet

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

First name on the sheet ???

Are you blind that man has been very ordinary for Offaly and is incapable of marking anybody.

That on top of hes horrific discipline record puts him touch and go on any Offaly team even if we are at a poor standard.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Disagree. Bar Ben Connelly no other player has been above ordinary in last few years. Still young, loads of potential and outrageous strike of the ball. Hope he’s left at centre back.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The Mumps in Kerry . . . the Corona in Antrim . . . Division 2A could have a bit to run yet.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:35 pm anyone any views on moving Kiely up the field a bit further?

he has hurl midfield and half forward for offaly over the last 3 years. was one of offalys better players last year again antrim and kerry when he hurl centre back. he hurl full back and centre back in minor winning teams for k/k . also seen him hurl centre back for offaly minors as an 16 year old again carlow. its his best place on the team and should be left there. sees the red mist quite alot which is a pity but has loads of hurling in him and i think we will see the best of him over the next few years. younger brother cathal not to bad either.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Now there's a thought.
Kevin wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:17 pm What are we to do? Outlaw rain?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Ben Connelly and Oisin Kelly went off hurt rib and finger injuries i belive on sunday . both look likely to miss sundays game with wicklow .

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Kerry in trouble with the mumps l. Missing a good few going by reports.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

hard to see Kiely being left off any Offaly team or dropped, yes he sees the red mist a fair bit during games, and he has being goaded too, particularly at club level, and even when he doesnt respond, a shemozzle kicks off with someone near him with the sole intention of herd mentality kicking in and when the dust settles, Kiely ultimately is one to walk (Belmont V Kilcormac last year was a disgrace)...if he is putting in the genuine effort in training, doing whats asked of him etc, I certainly wouldnt be dropping him or cannot see him being dropped...one of the first names on the sheet everyday for me provided he working the same as everyone else in training....I will kill this debate now by acknowledging probably CB is his best position with Conneely behind him out of what we have at the moment...

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:45 am hard to see Kiely being left off any Offaly team or dropped, yes he sees the red mist a fair bit during games, and he has being goaded too, particularly at club level, and even when he doesnt respond, a shemozzle kicks off with someone near him with the sole intention of herd mentality kicking in and when the dust settles, Kiely ultimately is one to walk (Belmont V Kilcormac last year was a disgrace)...if he is putting in the genuine effort in training, doing whats asked of him etc, I certainly wouldnt be dropping him or cannot see him being dropped...one of the first names on the sheet everyday for me provided he working the same as everyone else in training....I will kill this debate now by acknowledging probably CB is his best position with Conneely behind him out of what we have at the moment...
i wouldn't say CB is his best position. we don't have too many options so he is filling a gap. his best position is where he doesn't have to mark anyone and dictate the game. MIDFIELD!!

if we had Conor Doughan available he would be first choice CB and I would have Kiely midfield or even wing back. Watkins Doughan and Kiely would be some half back line.