Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by private joker »

DoingUntold wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 am
kaiserchief wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:37 am
private joker wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:51 pm

70% of 70% of a dublin championship team.
49% of a dublin team :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was having a laugh!!! 70% of 70% of a team a team!!??? Thought that was funny.

Oh the negativity is unbelievable

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

oneshot wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:13 am what offaly need is shane Dooley back and fit .
Thanks for dropping in Shane 👍

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

are any of them on the panel??..I dont know a-Z of who is on it, but if none of that 10 are on it, its a mute points saying they are better than him...one sided is fair enough, good and bad side is how it was in my day and I suspect still is, most players have a favoured side and will default to that but can shoot from a reasonable distance on their "bad" side...

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:20 pm are any of them on the panel??..I dont know a-Z of who is on it, but if none of that 10 are on it, its a mute points saying they are better than him...one sided is fair enough, good and bad side is how it was in my day and I suspect still is, most players have a favoured side and will default to that but can shoot from a reasonable distance on their "bad" side...
will you come out of the fog. Joe Maher is lucky to be on the Belmont team never mind being considered for the Offaly panel.

he must be stuck for a bit of gear or something. footballers don't want him and now trying to get him on the hurling.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

he isnt actually trying to get on the hurling panel at all, it just developped from the chat, good source tells me, was within earshot of some of the people making the soundings... he was verbally abused coming out of OCP after the Longford game for not being on the Offaly SF panel, and thats where his post came out of, what was he do do get a list of all supporters of the SF team and call and visit them and give his side of the story, everything is social media now, and he actually did well put go to the newspaper too, as I am sure there are many still who dont do the social media side of things with twitter etc.. I dont know the chap personally at all, I do know for fact he fell out with O'Malley (actually vice versa to be correct) and O'Malley has poisoned the water with Maughan against his return, who is the manager then is worth asking, and what would be strange about that in this little country...we wont agree on the hurling and Ime sure people know that debate and for and against can be made but thats fair enough, , but football wise he is as good if not a bit better, as whats there from what I see..looks like the "talking with hand up to the mouth brigade" will ensure he wont get back on but do you know something, if its that petty in the set up maybe hes as far on...Management not making statements doesnt reflect well on them from what I see...no point comming out when they step down telling their side..its either happening or it isnt...

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

lets stop this old bullshite about joe maher if he should or shouldn’t play football or hurling.big game on sunday need a win if we are to get to the league final. any word on a team for sunday. i like to see Ciaran Burke , Brian Watkins , get a run out maybe Brian Duignan will start .

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

we will have to start Watkins etc in this game now after defeat to Kerry, the problem is we have to go out to win every game now which after Sunday is possible given the other teams in the division would be deemed weaker than us, but I honestly dont think we can take any of them for granted now...I think I would put out our best 15 on Sunday, Brian Duignan would probably be one of them, and go for it..we cannot afford another slip up, be it Antrim would be a formidable team for us now as in recent years...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

For me this game is 50/50. If it was in antrim, I'd be going for an Antrim win. Too close to call. Offaly must win.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

private joker wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:46 pm For me this game is 50/50. If it was in antrim, I'd be going for an Antrim win. Too close to call. Offaly must win.
I fully agree but that was always going to be the case. Kerry and Antrim where always going to be sticky ones based on the last few years but home advantage has to give us a better chance.

Kiely got 2 yellows and is available and I would prefer to start him but Fennelly will obviously have to decide what he needs from the situation.

Back line (particularly full back) is still the problem and needs to be resolved for this game. If that means putting Ben Conneely back there. 14 scores each with Kerry but we conceded 2 goals. Would like to see something along the lines of this based off last 3 or 4 games.

James Dempsey
Michael Cleary
Ben Conneely
Cirain Burke
Brian Watkins
Cillian Kiely
David King
David Nally
Leon Fox
Shane Kinsella
Thomas Geraghty
Oisin Kelly
Liam Langton
Sean Cleary
Eoghan Cahill

Stephen Corocoran, Damien Egan, Ross Ravenhill, Paddy Rigney, Brian Duignan, Peter Gerathy, Aidan Treacy, Brendan Murphy

Smallball-1
Junior C

Post by Smallball-1 »

kaiserchief wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:38 pm
private joker wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:46 pm For me this game is 50/50. If it was in antrim, I'd be going for an Antrim win. Too close to call. Offaly must win.
I fully agree but that was always going to be the case. Kerry and Antrim where always going to be sticky ones based on the last few years but home advantage has to give us a better chance.

Kiely got 2 yellows and is available and I would prefer to start him but Fennelly will obviously have to decide what he needs from the situation.

Back line (particularly full back) is still the problem and needs to be resolved for this game. If that means putting Ben Conneely back there. 14 scores each with Kerry but we conceded 2 goals. Would like to see something along the lines of this based off last 3 or 4 games.

James Dempsey
Michael Cleary
Ben Conneely
Cirain Burke
Brian Watkins
Cillian Kiely
David King
David Nally
Leon Fox
Shane Kinsella
Thomas Geraghty
Oisin Kelly
Liam Langton
Sean Cleary
Eoghan Cahill

Stephen Corocoran, Damien Egan, Ross Ravenhill, Paddy Rigney, Brian Duignan, Peter Gerathy, Aidan Treacy, Brendan Murphy

The half back like has being playing well enough the last few games? Why change the whole half back line?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Good team, I would love to see Sean Cleary get up and going score wise...he does get a few but is nearly always hauled off...one or two other forwards would be 50/50 for me on your team, but its not a bad starting 15 at all...

Smallball-1
Junior C

Post by Smallball-1 »

Agree with most of your team but what was wrong with the usual half back line of dan doughan , Ben Conneely and David king? Why make a big change?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I suspect Damien Egan at full back wasnt thee thing, hence move Conneely back there, I dont know...county wise Ide prefer Conneely on half back line, but if hes needed further back I suppose Kiely is the man then for CB...we will all see it different I know.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:06 am I suspect Damien Egan at full back wasnt thee thing, hence move Conneely back there, I dont know...county wise Ide prefer Conneely on half back line, but if hes needed further back I suppose Kiely is the man then for CB...we will all see it different I know.
my exact thinking. Damien is a good bit of stuff but is not a full back. To me i would prefer to have Ben at corner and take a man marking role.

Kiely could be an option at full back but with his moment of madness that could be a sticky selection.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

with the exception of Conneely who started off as a defender day one, over the years, so of our finest hurler in forwards were all used in defence (most recent I can think of was Colin Egan, I suppose you could say Damien Egan (no relation) now too) Cillian Kiely is a massive hurler and I would be having him around the halfback, centre field area if I were manager, Damien Egan is a ball winner and a scorer, I would give him a gig at full forward under this regime, I know he has done stints in full forward line before...with exception of Conneely whom I would leave in back line somewhere, I would like to see proven regular ball winners in the very centre of the park and in half forward line in particular, posession seems to be a major problem for us around the middle from what I see, very hard get good ball into forwards if you dont have it...hurling well in training I suppose is all they can go by...match day is the day that counts.