Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
theman
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by theman »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:27 pm One thing I disliked about Maughan this year was bringing in that chap from Kilmacud who wouldn't stand out on the Clonbullogue team never mind an intercounty football team! Lets pick develop our own players please.
What does that mean Bracknaghboy? Was that a cheap dig at Clonbullogue - the club that many a Bracknagh man represented (and won championships with) when they had no club of their own? :D

Regarding the player from Portumna. IMO we can’t be picky given the current situation the hurlers are in. I know the man in question is 30, but he has being playing at a higher level than a lot of the current Offaly team. Would bringing him not raise the standard in training slightly? He is only 30 after all. Is 30 the new limit now for county players? He should surely be able to keep going till 35.

We need to get out of the lower ranks ASAP, so the next 2 years are vital and if that means getting one or two players to help us through then so be it. It’s not as if we are bringing in 10+ players!

Just my opinion
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Lets not forget that Offaly's first All Ireland in 1981 was won with a Galway man at corner back who wasn't seen as a contender for a place in his native county.
Given that Martin Dolphin has Offaly connections I would like to think there is an affinity to Offaly that's driving any potential move.
Sadly you'd have to conclude that if he was reared on the east of the Shannon instead of the west, he wouldn't have become as accomplished a hurler with the Offaly underage structures that existed in that era.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 pm Lets not forget that Offaly's first All Ireland in 1981 was won with a Galway man at corner back who wasn't seen as a contender for a place in his native county.
Given that Martin Dolphin has Offaly connections I would like to think there is an affinity to Offaly that's driving any potential move.
Sadly you'd have to conclude that if he was reared on the east of the Shannon instead of the west, he wouldn't have become as accomplished a hurler with the Offaly underage structures that existed in that era.
john kelly is the most obvious connection to Dolphin here being from Portumna and having managed them also. i would be concerned not that Dolphin would improve the team or standard but more than it wasn't a permanent move. that if and when we get promoted that Dolphin won't have to give way.

anyone know if the granny rule (horan for footballers has it at moment) applies here.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

This morning I was having a read of the Midland Tribune when I came across Offaly team of the year by Kevin Corrigan "The man behind the wire"

I said to myself we have to many people in the public eye in this county who report misleading and incorrect information. (Which then influences the opinions of Offaly gaa fans)

I am not going to take an Offaly team very serious which is picked by one person who might not have a very accurate opinion of the game anyway but just to highlight the fact he did not pick Oisin Murphy on the team really just summed up the level of journalism by the man in question.

This is just one topic where information can be delivered incorrectly it could he interesting to see what else is posted on the run up to convention.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

Personally taught Jimmy in the other corner deserved one.

Doubt Corrigan was at too many hurling games last year.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Thought the same. Thought Jimmy had a great championship. He was a find for birr.

Can someone post up the team from the tribune.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

1. Conor Clancy
2. Stephen Wynne
3. Darren O'Meara
4. Stephen Leonard
5. Brian Watkins
6. Ben Connelly
7. Sean Ryan
8. David Nally
9. Killian Sampson
10. Damien Egan
11. Conor Doughan
12. Aidan Treacy
13. Eoghan Cahill
14. Sean Dolan
15. Kevin Connolly

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ah, there’s no harm in a debate, I suppose. Other hand, the lads chosen don’t actually get anything by way of an award, do they?

Anyway, out of curiosity I checked to see what Senior hurling matches Kevin Corrigan covered this year. These are:
Round 1: Birr v Coolderry, Round 2: none, Round 3: Shinrone v Coolderry, Round 4: Shinrone v Birr, Round 5: St Rynagh’s v Birr, Round 6: St Rynagh’s v Ballinamere, Round 7: Coolderry v KInnitty, Relegation Final: Ballinamere v Kinnitty, Quarter-finals: none, Semi-finals: none.

That’s the Senior matches he covered – he may have been at others too, and I’m sure he was at the Final.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

A debate in my eyes is when there is an argument for both sides.

Stevie Wonder would of had Oisin Murphy on the team of the year. 8)

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

He is a model hurler alright, but he is no Jimmy, and another player who impressed me in the semi final and quarter was the young birr full back.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

Hasselhoff wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 am He is a model hurler alright, but he is no Jimmy, and another player who impressed me in the semi final and quarter was the young birr full back.
I agree. But O Meara was the best full back all year. Have to give credit there to Corrigan. I seen O Meara 3 times last year and was man of match two of them days.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

He put in Kevin Connolly also.......what matches was he at again?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

First real test, 3 point defeat to Kerry. Strong winds down there I heard. Onwards to the next game. Offaly are really at their level in this league. Far more competitive. Also, down to 14 men for a large part of game. Seems like a lot of lads get sent off on that team. Must be 5 or 6 in 2019 till today?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Big set back, we will get it hard to beat Antrim also so it’s not looking good.

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Different year
Same player
Another red card