Meeting In Tullamore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Re: Meeting In Tullamore

Post by Kevin »

bracknaghboy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 pm
private joker wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm
greenairfield wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:13 pm Hurling was destroyed when it went to OCP north offaly folk dont care about hurling.keep it in Birr for the better.
now that's an ignorant comment.
Didn't take long for the bile to emerge.

Back to the 'high powered 'group. Have been speaking to people about this development. General consensus seems to be that our county board needs stability not wholesale changes with inexperienced people whose aims remains at best unclear. This sort of populism isn't working out well in the political world and could cause untold damage at a time when the county is starting to actually get things together. Lets look closer:

Senior Football
A decent manager is now in place. A right rattle at division 3 is on the cards in a few months. Panel is relatively settled. Cian Johnson and Cian Farrell are genuinely exciting talents for the future. U20's have been decent recently with settled management. All told things look well. Senior management are happy that everything they have requested is in place unlike previous years.

Senior Hurling
Exciting new management team in place. It almost feels like a new beginning for real again. Yes it's Christy Ring next year but it is what it is now and the only way is up. This is Fennellys big chance and he'll leave no stone unturned. The u20's were promising last year. Steady progress can be made now. Maybe when we do return to the Leinster Championship proper in a few years it'll really mean something.

Offaly TV
This was a good little service last year but this year it is now exceptional. Serious amount of games full length in high quality for 50 quid. Excellent development. Surprised more hasn't been said on here about it.

Facilities
One of the biggest issues was lack of training facility for our county teams. Faithful fields solved that and we now have a great facility for the future. Our county ground is the envy of many counties and we never have to worry about games not going ahead due to health and safety. The sponsorship of BNM (whether you agree or disagree with it) has brough in much needed funds.

Weekend passes
It took a while but this finally arrived. This has been great and saves cash over the weekend and in fact encourages attending plenty of games to get your moneys worth.

Coaching
We've gone from having the least qualified number of coaches in Leinster to one of the highest. A look at the CB twitter page shows the tireless work that is going on day and night across the county in both codes.

Look it's not perfect but things are starting to look up in terms of getting the right people and resources in place. We have the facilities now. I'd say no county board in Ireland has learned as much and made as many improvements in recent years than our own.
There plenty of reason to be optimistic about.

I don't like all this talk of such a place being the home of hurling and so on. We are all Offaly. The chap in Birr who wants to play football is as important as the senior footballer in Rhode. The football supporter in Lusmagh is as entitled to to go and support his team as much as the lad from Edenderry.

The hurling supporters in Daingean are as important as the hurling supporters from Coolderry. Nobody, no club and no area owns our games or should be claiming to be the home of this or that.

"United we stand, divided we fall".
Thanks for this.

We have a base for 2020 whatever the composition of the management committee.

Looking forward to it!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Loose cannon I only say bring hurling back to Birr or something on them lines when other mock the hard work been done by the club or try compare it to OCP.

It's not all one way traffic and if you read the first few comments on this thread you will find out it was not me who brought up the hurling back to Birr issue it was others who seem to be worried that this new group of people are going to bring hurling back to Birr.

You seemed to have missed them comments?

Now on to the grievances I have with the county board.
I dont have many and I do think improvements have been made over the last two years let's say, but have they been made by some of the new people who took positions over the last 2 or 3 years? when you look into it the answer is yes.

So Tommy for example has been there a long time I think he should step down or be replaced as a full new board in times like this is best of the county in my opinion.

Let new hungry people in to have a go at it and try make more improvements at the end of the day our coaching structure is all over the place and we still dont have the right structures in places and for me that is a huge red flag.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm
greenairfield wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:13 pm Hurling was destroyed when it went to OCP north offaly folk dont care about hurling.keep it in Birr for the better.
now that's an ignorant comment.
Didn't take long for the bile to emerge.

Back to the 'high powered 'group. Have been speaking to people about this development. General consensus seems to be that our county board needs stability not wholesale changes with inexperienced people whose aims remains at best unclear. This sort of populism isn't working out well in the political world and could cause untold damage at a time when the county is starting to actually get things together. Lets look closer:

Senior Football
A decent manager is now in place. A right rattle at division 3 is on the cards in a few months. Panel is relatively settled. Cian Johnson and Cian Farrell are genuinely exciting talents for the future. U20's have been decent recently with settled management. All told things look well. Senior management are happy that everything they have requested is in place unlike previous years.

Senior Hurling
Exciting new management team in place. It almost feels like a new beginning for real again. Yes it's Christy Ring next year but it is what it is now and the only way is up. This is Fennellys big chance and he'll leave no stone unturned. The u20's were promising last year. Steady progress can be made now. Maybe when we do return to the Leinster Championship proper in a few years it'll really mean something.

Offaly TV
This was a good little service last year but this year it is now exceptional. Serious amount of games full length in high quality for 50 quid. Excellent development. Surprised more hasn't been said on here about it.

Facilities
One of the biggest issues was lack of training facility for our county teams. Faithful fields solved that and we now have a great facility for the future. Our county ground is the envy of many counties and we never have to worry about games not going ahead due to health and safety. The sponsorship of BNM (whether you agree or disagree with it) has brough in much needed funds.

Weekend passes
It took a while but this finally arrived. This has been great and saves cash over the weekend and in fact encourages attending plenty of games to get your moneys worth.

Coaching
We've gone from having the least qualified number of coaches in Leinster to one of the highest. A look at the CB twitter page shows the tireless work that is going on day and night across the county in both codes.

Look it's not perfect but things are starting to look up in terms of getting the right people and resources in place. We have the facilities now. I'd say no county board in Ireland has learned as much and made as many improvements in recent years than our own.
There plenty of reason to be optimistic about.

I don't like all this talk of such a place being the home of hurling and so on. We are all Offaly. The chap in Birr who wants to play football is as important as the senior footballer in Rhode. The football supporter in Lusmagh is as entitled to to go and support his team as much as the lad from Edenderry.

The hurling supporters in Daingean are as important as the hurling supporters from Coolderry. Nobody, no club and no area owns our games or should be claiming to be the home of this or that.

Well said Bracknagh Boy, there is a lot of positive news for Offaly supporters to digest.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Just hope there is a united front coming out of the convention.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:31 pm Loose cannon I only say bring hurling back to Birr or something on them lines when other mock the hard work been done by the club or try compare it to OCP.

It's not all one way traffic and if you read the first few comments on this thread you will find out it was not me who brought up the hurling back to Birr issue it was others who seem to be worried that this new group of people are going to bring hurling back to Birr.

You seemed to have missed them comments?

Now on to the grievances I have with the county board.
I dont have many and I do think improvements have been made over the last two years let's say, but have they been made by some of the new people who took positions over the last 2 or 3 years? when you look into it the answer is yes.

So Tommy for example has been there a long time I think he should step down or be replaced as a full new board in times like this is best of the county in my opinion.

Let new hungry people in to have a go at it and try make more improvements at the end of the day our coaching structure is all over the place and we still dont have the right structures in places and for me that is a huge red flag.
Greenairfield, please stop trolling, my apologies if you're not and if you're not well then go piss off to the SBP. Bracknaghboy, very articulate,what more can one say....

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm
If Pairc Tailteann can host county finals then Birr definitely can.

And also it was interesting to note all the people stand on a grassy bank at the Antrim county final 10 days ago on TG4. I often think we are the only county that ever adhered to H&S for our grounds. It was a handy excuse for many though.
Read this article about Antrims ground. Our excellent facility in Tullamore is also discussed. Everybody regardless of age, ability, disability etc. has a right to view our games.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootb ... a-1738673/

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Your knit picking now

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 pm Your knit picking now
That should be nit picking. You knit with needles.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

SearingDrive wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:49 am
greenairfield wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 pm Your knit picking now
That should be nit picking. You knit with needles.
The irony ain’t lost on me.
Good Luck

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

bracknaghboy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:35 pm
frankthetank wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm
If Pairc Tailteann can host county finals then Birr definitely can.

And also it was interesting to note all the people stand on a grassy bank at the Antrim county final 10 days ago on TG4. I often think we are the only county that ever adhered to H&S for our grounds. It was a handy excuse for many though.
Read this article about Antrims ground. Our excellent facility in Tullamore is also discussed. Everybody regardless of age, ability, disability etc. has a right to view our games.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootb ... a-1738673/
Great read and I think it deserves a fuller mention so here is an edited version of the relevant part

"Avid GAA supporter, former Ulster GAA steward and wheelchair user Noel McCaffrey told Kicking Out that the only good experience he’d ever had in a GAA ground was in O’Connor Park in Tullamore.

When the ground was redeveloped in 2006, their layout was designed with wheelchair access very much in mind.

Disabled access was at the forefront of Offaly’s minds when they rebuilt the ground.

Fans can drive up to within eight metres of a specially-modified turnstile, from where they’re taken by lift to a seat right in the middle of the stand, just in front of the press corps.

Supporters are protected from the elements by a metre-high clear plastic screen, which doesn’t restrict their view.

It’s a pity that grounds developed more recently than O’Connor Park didn’t think enough of disabled supporters to do the same."

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

13 years after redevelopment OCP remains the best ground of it's size on the island. It ticks every box.
Keep in mind that one of the main aims of this regressive "High powered" group attempting to take over the county board is to move hurling matches out of this facility. You couldn't make it up.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

bracknaghboy wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:42 pm 13 years after redevelopment OCP remains the best ground of it's size on the island. It ticks every box.
Keep in mind that one of the main aims of this regressive "High powered" group attempting to take over the county board is to move hurling matches out of this facility. You couldn't make it up.

fecking hell bracknaghboy your mad nuts about hurling not been played in birr. why your club had a great victory last weekend in the football and not a peep about it from ya. just let it go what ever ales you about hurling been played in birr.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

One shot well said then ya have worshipers here on this thread of bracknagh boy...

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:18 pm One shot well said then ya have worshipers here on this thread of bracknagh boy...
Sure he’s the 🐐

I can only apologise Bracknaghboy, the new geansaí wasn’t on the O’Neills site.
Good Luck

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lads I'm waaaaaaaaay better looking than that. :lol: :lol: :lol: