Meeting In Tullamore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Meeting In Tullamore

Post by private joker »

What are the intentions of this group? Are they going to contest positions within the county?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I hope ye don't mind, but I've moved the posts from the other topic into this one, because this is the specific topic to discuss this issue.

No posts have been edited or deleted.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalyman08
All Star

Re: Newspaper Articles and other media bits

Post by offalyman08 »

kingscounty wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:31 pm
private joker wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 am Maybe at adult level, but if there wasn't a will to play the game by adults members of the club you can't force a club to force members to play a sport.
What I was referring to was the appointment of a GPO. Which is what is needed most also in Tullamore, Birr at least to start with. Also, pretty sure Edenderry have under age hurling on the go so they will be playing adult again I'm sure.
Bracknagh is spot on regarding hurling in Edenderry. There was plenty of Will for adults to play hurling in the town but when a club is run entirely by a football committee who refused to allow a sub hurling committee be set up due to a fear hurling might bypass football what can lads do? Edenderry were in a final 2013 after beating Crinkill in the group stages. When a former player had the underage flying they messed with his set up. Now they have a few young lads playing just so they can claim dual club shillings!!! Regarding the ‘50’ I don’t like it at all, while I have no time for Byrne, if change comes about it should be done with a bit of order through the clubs meeting. Who is the brain child of the ‘50’ what is their long term intentions,
They were in a final in 2013 with a 42 and 36 year old as their 2 main players (all-ireland winners from 1994 & 1998).

What few shillings do you get for being a dual club? I'm fairly sure it costs money to enter a team. I'm open to correction on this one.

On a side note, how is hurling going in Bracknagh and Daingean at the minute? Surely between the 7 clubs they have amalgamated together there is enough numbers to have 2 hurling teams?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

offalyman08 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:26 pm
On a side note, how is hurling going in Bracknagh and Daingean at the minute?
As you know it's non-existant in Bracknagh. However unlike Edenderry there isn't a 125 year history of hurling there. Edenderry allowed a proud hurling history just disappear. Years of underage neglect led the adult team requiring players from all over the east of the county before it collapsed. In fact the Edenderry chap in the "high powered" group looking to take over the county board would have overseen alot of the neglect that eventually led to the end of the 125 year hurling history. Anyways as Kingscounty knows theres a lot of politics that went on in relation to it all. Leaving blame aside it's a real shame that our 2nd biggest urban area doesn't field hurling teams anymore. A sport completely dying out in an area doesn't just happen by chasnce it's clearly down to neglect or intent.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

offalyman08 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:26 pm
kingscounty wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:31 pm
private joker wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 am Maybe at adult level, but if there wasn't a will to play the game by adults members of the club you can't force a club to force members to play a sport.
What I was referring to was the appointment of a GPO. Which is what is needed most also in Tullamore, Birr at least to start with. Also, pretty sure Edenderry have under age hurling on the go so they will be playing adult again I'm sure.
Bracknagh is spot on regarding hurling in Edenderry. There was plenty of Will for adults to play hurling in the town but when a club is run entirely by a football committee who refused to allow a sub hurling committee be set up due to a fear hurling might bypass football what can lads do? Edenderry were in a final 2013 after beating Crinkill in the group stages. When a former player had the underage flying they messed with his set up. Now they have a few young lads playing just so they can claim dual club shillings!!! Regarding the ‘50’ I don’t like it at all, while I have no time for Byrne, if change comes about it should be done with a bit of order through the clubs meeting. Who is the brain child of the ‘50’ what is their long term intentions,
They were in a final in 2013 with a 42 and 36 year old as their 2 main players (all-ireland winners from 1994 & 1998).

What few shillings do you get for being a dual club? I'm fairly sure it costs money to enter a team. I'm open to correction on this one.

On a side note, how is hurling going in Bracknagh and Daingean at the minute? Surely between the 7 clubs they have amalgamated together there is enough numbers to have 2 hurling teams?
What’s age got to do with it? Shinrone won a junior in 2003 with Brendan Keeshan running the show at id say 48 or 49!! Micheal Duigian was in the 40’s when Ballinamere won junior few years back playing at full forward, Seamus Spain centre back on K/K team the same day!! I could go on, the difference is these teams didn’t neglect their underage and allowed their younger players to look up to these guys. What stronghold are you from yourself lad?

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

When is the meeting between the group and the county board?

Will this be a private or general meeting?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Out of interest, does anyone think that the county board should meet with this group? Who do this "50" speak on the behalf of?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

the county board probably should meet with the group, I seen before in GAA where anything contraversial in brought up at AGM's or whatever, the matter is "left" to an adjourned meeting, then the wagons are circled, calls are made behind the scenes, peoples points of view mysteriously change and low and behold the old status quo is retained, dont get me wrong, that can be for the best in some cases, but in some cases maybe not. The GAA will say their are means and ways to get ones point of view accrross, and there is, but many will testify that one can be dealing with people who are in position years, so long, they think they own the bloody thing, and no one elses view is of relevance, and not only that they dont want to hear or know about an alternative view, very very hard break into such a mould, actually who would want to...in fairness over the last 20 years or so more and more parents are involved in someway be it helping out at training/doing umpire/lines men at underage matches etc, all this is to be welcomed and does help break down the "them and us" mentality....

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

You may go again with that post. What are you trying to say? Im asking if the county board should meet with a random group of people with no mandate from the clubs of Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Change would be great for the people backing up the county board no where we are where we are with people like ye

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:00 am Change would be great for the people backing up the county board no where we are where we are with people like ye
I’m no fan of the county board, but this “high-powered” group have absolutely zero mandate whatsoever. Did they approach every club in Offaly? I highly doubt it. Who do they think they are?
If you want change, there’s a pathway through a process which most would consider democratic. Either go through the process or do one. It’s actually quite embarrassing really. Several colleagues just laughed at the farcical nature of this situation.
Would I be Tommy Byrne’s biggest fan? Certainly not. But the actions and words of this “high-powered” and may I add unelected group are just wrong. Would’ve expected better from a good few of them.
Good Luck

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

What happens if another rival “high powered” group emerges in conflict with this group? Or an even higher powered cabal comes into play? All sorts of explosive action would result then.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

turk wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:11 pm What happens if another rival “high powered” group emerges in conflict with this group? Or an even higher powered cabal comes into play? All sorts of explosive action would result then.
Agreed that is why I have organised an ‘extremely higher powered’ group of people to have a meeting next week and our group will want a meeting with the ‘county board’ and the ‘ high powered’ group.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Well unfortunately for you I have organised a meeting of a “deity powered group” next week and we would like to meet the county board, the high powered group and your extremely higher powered group.

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Eh No lads, all ye have "organized" are a few sneery comments on a keyboard.

This group that have gotten together, probably could have gone about their business slightly differently alright.

But they did have a meeting and they did invite a wide circle of people. They havn't , according to media reports looked for mass resignations from the county board, but I am sure that they want to get a feel from a selection of clubs what they are looking for. My guess is that in the main they have gone to the senior more high profile clubs who they know they need to get onboard and are engaging in diplomacy as opposed to democracy.
Whether thats right or wrong, only time will tell.