Offaly v Leix Round 3 Qualifier

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Re: Offaly v Leix Round 3 Qualifier

Post by Wing Back »

First of all fair dues to the Offaly Senior Footballers. Very well done to the panel and management.

On the draw for the next round, I have to agree with other posters that the exact detail of who gets home advantage on the Offaly Laois game seems very vague to say the least. I listened this morning and there was very little explanation except to say that it's less complicated than it sounds. And considering that there is still questions I think it's something that should be explained.

Hopefully it will be quantified by the county board representatives and followed up for future draws.

I understand that past agreements are being discussed, but I just want to know how the draw in question worked aside from prior home/away agreements being applied.

Also why were Westmeath and Laois not allowed meet in this draw? As far as I know there was nothing to stop this in the last draw? Seems odd to introduce new rules for a later draw.

#Esto Fidelis
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Iarafi
Junior C

Post by Iarafi »

Arguing about getting a home game when nobody bothers going to O'Connor Park seems trivial. Not quite as bad as the hurling thread where half the comments are about playing in Birr while the senior team is freefall, but still seems pointless. Portlaoise is close enough to make it feel like a home game if enough people travel. I like this draw, it's a challenge but winnable and should give a good gauge of Offalys improvement.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Seems very odd. Home venue is so important. What was the basis to London vs Offaly? Offaly out of the bowl first ?

Plunks
Junior C
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Plunks »

I think London travel for all qualifier games regardless

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Interesting to note that Offaly haven't beaten Laois in the championship in 17 years. Pretty amazing.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Who are Leix?? Never heard of them!!

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

Iarafi wrote:Arguing about getting a home game when nobody bothers going to O'Connor Park seems trivial. Not quite as bad as the hurling thread where half the comments are about playing in Birr while the senior team is freefall, but still seems pointless. Portlaoise is close enough to make it feel like a home game if enough people travel. I like this draw, it's a challenge but winnable and should give a good gauge of Offalys improvement.
Your point is more than valid. However for transparency I would still like to be informed of the intricacies and formalities of any draw, regardless of weather it's hurling or football, club or county, or any other sport for that matter.

There more than likely is a defined predetermined set of rules for what happened in the draw to answer my question. Im just trying to confirm what the detail in that document says for transparency. Nothing wrong with that.

#Esto Fidelis
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

allstar2010 wrote:Who are Leix?? Never heard of them!!
Queen’s County. Match is in Maryborough.
frankthetank wrote:Interesting to note that Offaly haven't beaten Laois in the championship in 17 years. Pretty amazing.
What’s another week, not even?
Plunks wrote:I think London travel for all qualifier games regardless
While I’m not 100% sure on this, I think that we were pulled out first anyway, so it’d make no difference.
Good Luck

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

LooseCannon wrote:
How would a fella get there from Bracknagh? Would he take the Cooletoodera road? :wink:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

From the GAA master fixtures list, which is somewhere on the GAA.ie site:

Qualifier round 1: An open draw shall then be made to determine the eight pairings, with the first Team drawn having Home Advantage. Exception: • A Division 3 or 4 team drawn against a Division 1 or 2 team in the current year’s Allianz Football League shall have Home Advantage.

Qualifier round 2: A Draw shall be made to determine the eight pairings, with the first Team drawn having Home Advantage. Exception: • A Division 3 or 4 team drawn against a Division 1 or 2 team in the current year’s Allianz Football League shall have Home Advantage.

Qualifier round 3: Subject to the avoidance of Repeat Pairings where feasible, a Draw shall be made to determine the four pairings with the first Team drawn having Home Advantage. Exception: • A Division 3 or 4 team drawn against a Division 1 or 2 team in the current year’s Allianz Football League shall have Home Advantage.

Qualifier round 4: Subject to the avoidance of Repeat Pairings where feasible, a Draw shall be made to determine the four pairings. Venues for Round 4 shall be determined by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

So to summarise, repeat pairings are only avoided in rounds 3 and 4, while round 4 is at neutral venues.
Wing Back wrote:Your point is more than valid. However for transparency I would still like to be informed of the intricacies and formalities of any draw, regardless of weather it's hurling or football, club or county, or any other sport for that matter.

There more than likely is a defined predetermined set of rules for what happened in the draw to answer my question. Im just trying to confirm what the detail in that document says for transparency. Nothing wrong with that.

#Esto Fidelis
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

To turn that the other way around, Leix haven't beaten Offaly in the championship in 13 years.
frankthetank wrote:Interesting to note that Offaly haven't beaten Laois in the championship in 17 years. Pretty amazing.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Yea, that's like being told 'you wouldn't understand'. So try us, John Horan, we're smarter than you give us credit for.

I didn't see the draw, but it appears Westmeath were the fifth team drawn out, then Leix were drawn. Leix had to move down to the next tie, then Offaly were drawn. So it appears to me Leix were drawn from the hat before Offaly. (I could be wrong, but that's my impression.)
Wing Back wrote:On the draw for the next round, I have to agree with other posters that the exact detail of who gets home advantage on the Offaly Laois game seems very vague to say the least. I listened this morning and there was very little explanation except to say that it's less complicated than it sounds. And considering that there is still questions I think it's something that should be explained.

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Yea, that's like being told 'you wouldn't understand'. So try us, John Horan, we're smarter than you give us credit for.

I didn't see the draw, but it appears Westmeath were the fifth team drawn out, then Leix were drawn. Leix had to move down to the next tie, then Offaly were drawn. So it appears to me Leix were drawn from the hat before Offaly. (I could be wrong, but that's my impression.)
Wing Back wrote:On the draw for the next round, I have to agree with other posters that the exact detail of who gets home advantage on the Offaly Laois game seems very vague to say the least. I listened this morning and there was very little explanation except to say that it's less complicated than it sounds. And considering that there is still questions I think it's something that should be explained.
Thanks for that POTH. That appears to be the most likely assumption alright. If that is the case then no one can have a problem with it. But the fact we're assuming at all is what annoys me.

Hopefully our CB were fully up to speed on rules of the draw and would challenge anything not fully transparent.

Best of luck to the players anyway. They've really performed well this year and long may it continue.

#Esto Fidelis

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

bracknaghboy wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:
How would a fella get there from Bracknagh? Would he take the Cooletoodera road? :wink:
Back of the tannery! (Ya Anglicised it) I’ve a few focal in my head.
Aye I suppose so.
I hope that the flags are up already. Them feckers putting EVIL facing Offaly that time, below the belt stuff so ‘twas. Wouldn’t expect less mind you :wink: !
Good Luck

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Great draw I think. Really looks like Maughan is getting most from this particular group and they are going at teams in positive fashion. Irrespective of how Saturday goes (we have good chance) I hope that a few more talented lads out there buy in next year. While the depth of panel isn't as strong as it could be, there is a right good 15 out and we are playing as well as we have done in a long long time. The last time I remember us winning or playing like we are was back in mid noughties when we reached Leinster Final and were eventually dumped out by Laois.

Great that the U20s are doing well also and 4 or 5 of these I assume will come into recognition for senior next year also. Those who are still underage next year should be left there to develop physically. With likes of Ml Brazil and 2 or 3 more experienced lads back that are not around this year, with influx of couple of U20's, I think we will only get stronger in next 2 -3 years.
jimbob