Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

Post by Fairplayalways »

Forde delivered (eventually) for Rynaghs, then moved back down to Galway..a great reader of the game, I dont know if he would have all the credentials to be manager though, he seems to be always in the background with Galway...maybe he will, but I think Galway CB will be looking for a higher profile...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Michael Fennelly looks to be next manager.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Could be good move, gain experience in management in lower divisions and build a team for 3-4 years

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Winning christy ring in year one is a must.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Some will point to the fact that we are appointing another totally untested manager to add to the long list of them over the last 10 years. On the other hand he surely has plenty going for him in that he isn't long out of the game, has spent most his adult live being part of a winning outfit, and will I assume try and bring some level of badly neded modernisation to Offalys approach to hurling.
I imagine he thought long and hard about this as when you become Offaly hurling manager it's usually the last job of your managerial career, one imagines he thinks winning both 2A and the Christy Ring are doable so the plan would be to build from there.
You have to think this will energise the players and perhaps convince the likes of Joe Bergin to stay whilst also enticing others onto the panel who might not have been planning to go in next year.
Finally an internal appointment isn't a runner anymore in Offaly as there is quite simply too much shite going on among the clubs (the recent disgraceful incident being 1 example) and deliberately disruptive shit stirring behaviour from Offaly elements within the national media for an internal manager to get full support.
Best of luck to Fennelly his appointment makes things interesting for the year ahead.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:07 pm Some will point to the fact that we are appointing another totally untested manager to add to the long list of them over the last 10 years. On the other hand he surely has plenty going for him in that he isn't long out of the game, has spent most his adult live being part of a winning outfit, and will I assume try and bring some level of badly neded modernisation to Offalys approach to hurling.
I imagine he thought long and hard about this as when you become Offaly hurling manager it's usually the last job of your managerial career, one imagines he thinks winning both 2A and the Christy Ring are doable so the plan would be to build from there.
You have to think this will energise the players and perhaps convince the likes of Joe Bergin to stay whilst also enticing others onto the panel who might not have been planning to go in next year.
Finally an internal appointment isn't a runner anymore in Offaly as there is quite simply too much shite going on among the clubs (the recent disgraceful incident being 1 example) and deliberately disruptive shit stirring behaviour from Offaly elements within the national media for an internal manager to get full support.
Best of luck to Fennelly his appointment makes things interesting for the year ahead.
I’m just gonna use this ☝️. Fairly well summed up Bracknaghboy.
Best wishes to him. He’s high up in the world of strength and conditioning in his own right...
I think he’s in partnership with Anthony Cunningham in a business venture which involves coaching. I think Birr used it to source Spellman, greenairfield will inform if that’s the case, I’m sure.

Once again, the best wishes to Michael, his management team whenever they are in place and of course, the Offaly panel of 2020. Let’s get behind the lads in the new year and hopefully we’ll have 2 trophies by this time next year.

Godspeed.
Good Luck

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

He definitely ticks the right boxes and the Christy Ring is a good place to get him started from.
At 34 and slightly crocked, he'd still be a good addition to the Offaly starting 15 :mrgreen:

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

You would have to say it's a great appointment considering where Offaly hurling is.
As far as I'm aware he is a business partner with Anthony Cunnigham or at least he was ..but I'm pretty sure while the club were in contact with Cunnigham over a manager the Spellman appointment a couple of years ago actually came from a different source.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

Sounds like a great appointment....but...are his talents not best utilised elsewhere....in just about every role bar manager (S&C, Coach, Performance Coach etc).
Unless he is planning to do it all himself?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Ime surprised with this appointment, but will go along with the general feeling here that it is a good appointment, as posters will know themselves, there is a bit of nastiness ceeping into some club games in Offaly and when a county goes down that road its always a sign of things not going well. Hopefully, all will get on board support him and his backroom team, being Offaly, we need ALL our best players on board (ifthey are not willing to come on board so be it,let them go, and let the clubs concerned leave it at that and not stir the pot of discontent for those who do opt in...its a personal choice, a big decision, its not for everyone, either opt in or out. No half measures coaxing lads and bending rules, its either in or out,and hoepfully the manager wont be "ousted" from within..he is only 34 years age, recently hurled, surely to God he knows the modern game well enough with his own success as a great club and county hurler...I see some want some of the older players to stay on...I dont know, Division 2A hurlng, Ide be letting our up and comming at it and let them cut there teeth, no point winning 2A etc. with 30+ agewise players and those players getting blown out of the water in Christy Ring/Joe McDonagh, thats what happened this year in some respects...

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Since when has nastiness crept into Offaly club hurling ?
I havent been at any match where it has been dirty this year you always have a few bits of handbags in some games.
I'd love to hear your reason for saying there is nastiness in club hurling..?

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

was the laying out cold of joachim not nasty? or the free for all with belmont and kk?

anyway on to mick fennelly.it is a great appointment for mick.surely we will win the christy ring to bring back a feel good factor? then onto the joe mcdonagh with a revitalised belief and possible entry into the leinster championship the following year? he obviously has seen the performances of our u20s in leinster this year and realised the potential of a good few of them lads. and as for asking joe bergin back. joe,with shane dooley and a few more, has carried offaly for a good few years. if he wants to retire from it he should be allowed. one of our greatest every hurlers. he was 20 years too late for his own good!!

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

The Joachim Kelly incident was an isolated one which isnt a factor on how Offaly hurling is played...
A free for all in one club this year isnt exactly nasty...was there many punches or strikes that happened that evening??

Handbag rows like that happen every weekend in club games throughout the country...your statement is ridiculous.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I'm getting in the mood and have updated my avatar appropriately :lol: :lol: :lol:

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

It is an interesting appointment and I hope he gets the support required from the hurling fraternity.

There is also a pat on the back due to the County Board, who have tried to go after strong candidates.

I really hope that the best players commit and give all now to help develop Offaly hurling to get back to Leinster Championship over next 2 to 3 years!