Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Be very interesting to find out the reasons for JQ's dismissal. Westmeath are ambitious and when you think about it, they had a disappointing year. The win over Offaly was overshadowed by defeat to Kerry at home a week later (and Offaly were merely fulfilling the fixture anyway), and while they were in the JMcD Final, they were blown away coming down the stretch.

Bear in mind Westmeath's underage structures are well geared to producing hurlers for the 21st century, who can hurl and run at the same time, and not winning JMcD and not gaining promotion (for the second year running) is seen as a setback.

On a not unrelated note, does anyone else think Eddie Brennan's influence on Leix is being overstated? They too have a productive underage system, and I wonder if Niall Corcoran's coaching influence (Dublin hurler, where pass and move and think is expected) is being overshadowed.
kingscounty wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:22 am He’s becoming a journey man going around the midlands, he wouldn’t be my choice at all. Do we build a fresh team with a fresh faced manager or do we go down the road of splashing the cash on a Davy type manager. We have tried managers with little or no experience before so I’m inclined to go with splashing the cash, but there’s not to many available and playing in the Christy Ring isn’t to appealing either!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

Interesting points POTH. I find it implausible that JQ doesn't have a good idea why he wasn't kept on. Especially after a phone call. He is not the shy, retiring type who wouldn't have the balls to ask!
In one sense it is admirable that the Westmeath CB took the initiative and made a tough call that they know will be questioned. It certainly wouldn't have happened in Laois (probably not in Offaly either??), where they would have been more than happy to wash their hands of a decision and point to the promotion etc, taking the easier option.
Does anybody know if Murtagh and Greville have kept their powder dry on this? It is not inconceivable that one or both of them would step into the breach. Watch this space.

On Eddie Brennan/Niall Corcoran, in fairness Brennan has been at pains to point out Corcoran's influence. I hope he remains on board. I nearly have to whisper it, but I am not totally impressed with the level of engagement Brennan has had with all forms of media. He should not have been on the Sunday Game while Laois were in the championship, and he was very eager to appear on all TV/Radio/Facebook platforms before, during and after Laois' championship run. A level of engagement is necessary, but I don't think there is anything to be gained (for Laois) from it.

Who would you like to see approached for the Offaly job POTH?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I think the make up of the whole management team is important, the right manager, right coach, right trainer. And don't mind having selectors to stand there in anoraks, top boots and flat caps. Like, the combination of Kevin Martin as manager and Declan Fanning as coach underperformed, to say the least. Fanning had a decade's experience at the top level, for Chrissakes. And the reasons for that failure should be looked at and lessons learned. (There doesn't have to be a public inquiry or a public humiliation for either, but that stone can't be left unturned.)

In theory, Éamonn Kelly and Kevin Ryan should have did better, not necessarily in terms of championship progress, both were beaten by Galway in Leinster, but for the life of me I can't see why Offaly teams can't hurl and run at the same time. Everyone else can manage it.

I'll be honest, I don't have anyone specific in mind. Though with the right coach and trainer, a management team headed by Joachim holds a certain appeal.
Keyser Soze wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:32 pmWho would you like to see approached for the Offaly job POTH?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate

Post by Keyser Soze »

All sensible. Agree too re KM & DF. Looked like a good combo. Martin even had previous Inter County experience!
Is KM's former Tullamore sidekick still running everybody connected to the Offaly job into the ground on social media? It seemed to be his favourite past time there for a period!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:49 pm I think we could do a lot worse than Joe Quaid, a journey man?..Ime not totally up to speed with all his various jobs but my main memory of him in management is his latest job with Westmeath prior to that Kildare and Limerick camogie some time back, that's hardly a journey man managerial wise, Offaly would be expecting (not necessarily the case I must point out) to have more talent at their disposal than Kildare and Westmeath so if Joe Quaid can lift Westmeath to a decent height with their resources, is he not worth a punt with a county which would expect to have a bit more raw talent available. From memory, I think they (Kildare) gave Offaly an almight run for their money in Walsh cup game or other a few years back..so I wouldn't be dismissing him. I can see the argument for going a different route I suppose, give out about the cost of having a name like Davy Fitzgerald, the fact of the matter is Wexford are Leinster champions and in an All Ireland semi final (which they have a more than realistic chance of winning) their supporters are out in huge numbers at games, pitches are peppered with purple and gold jerseys at half time with youngsters pucking about...that cannot be a bad thing at all...I would be going after Joe Quaid before some of the names on the original posters list further up this topic..
Michael Ryan has to take must of the credit for Westmeath’s improvement over the years. Westmeath were also in McDonagh final last year so the foundations were already in place before Quaid took over. If I was an offaly player I wouldn’t get excited about Joe Quaid coming in, interesting to read Cillian Kiely in the independent during the week saying he would love an outside influence like a Kilkenny man to come in and lay the law down.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

If Offaly senior hurlers need the law been laid down, they are screwed. Certain level of player responsibility is required to play top level hurling. Maybe that's why Offaly are christy ring standard.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I'm having to re-evaluate my assessment of managers generally after the last two years.

I though Kevin Martin would have brought something to the Offaly Job but that fell on its face after the 1st year.
David Fitzgerald I thought would have got one good year out of Wexford and then they would have given not be able to maintain the training and pace. But they were very good for most of this year. Hats off the Dave and his management team.

That said. Hurling is still Hurling.
We got to be able to mix it up. You need to be able to do everything.
That mean when you go long you can win the ball. When you go short you can play that game as well.
Wexford fell short yesterday because their critical thinking in the last 15 mins wasn't good enough. They couldn't adapted to the game in front of them.

Producing "21 Century Hurlers" is an interested idea.
You have to say that if you look back that the greatest players since 2000 about 8 or 9 of them are from Kilkenny. With Henry Shefflin been the greatest hurler in this Century by some distance.
Kilkenny idea of hurling is what we followed in the 80's and 90's but that a different story. Kilkenny start with not allowing the forward to win the ball in the air. The dirtier the ball the better and get the ball to a free man and then using it well.
Offaly have done NONE of this over the last 19 years.
So I for one would be glad to go back to the Kilkenny influence on Hurling in Offaly.

To me I think that Henry Shefflin is a manager I would like approached by the county board.
People may think that Shefflin may be out of our league at the moment
But maybe not. This may be the right time to approach him.
We not going to be playing Kilkenny next year.
He would have some Management skill from his time at Ballyhale.
He has made no secret that he want to manage Kilkenny at some stage.
We may be only a step on Shefflin ladder but he is a person that everyone in Offaly hurling should respect.
He Style of hurling is something that I would like and for those that want a "21 Century Hurler" they surely can't complain about a make with 10 All Ireland medals in the last 19 years.
All that said. He may not want the job.

The Player responsibility issue is something I think really need to be addressed. The best way to do that is to given then responsibility on the field.
At all Levels that doesn't happen in Offaly. The manager set up the team and if a player see something that need to be changed in the match and say it. you be sitting on the line. Manager want you to say yes sir and I do that sir. But leader will step up and take control on the pitch. Sometime when your learing that, you make mistakes and underage manager in Offaly wouldn't allow that.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Keyser Soze
Intermediate

Post by Keyser Soze »

It would be some coup!!!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Keyser Soze wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:34 pm It would be some coup!!!
It would.

Am just thinking that we are at a level where some ambitious fella might want to bite.

Hopeful here that our timing matches the right skillset and appetitie.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate

Post by Keyser Soze »

Would somebody like David Herity be a more realistic target?

BanagherBoy
Junior C
Club: Banagher

Post by BanagherBoy »

Long time reader, first time poster!

Lot of good suggestions and no nonsense ones!

I think we need an outsider with a good track record of winning with a modern coach and a good local influence in the selectors.

I would have thought the 20s management might be worth a shot but from what ye have said there some of them have been involved in bad set ups before.

Joe Quaid has a fair record at our level. Christy Ring last year with Kildare. 2A this year with Westmeath. The 2 competitions we want to win next year.

David Herity had a poor year with Kildare this year but has a winning mentality from his playing days. Would he leave Kildare after just one season?

If it was just between the 2 of them I’d go with Quaid. Would like to see someone like Brian Carroll stay involved and maybe some other ex players of that generation. Keep the Offaly traditions but with an outside winning mentality that we have been lacking. Could there be a role for Joachim in that set up? Or would it be a case of too many cooks?

On a random note, are either Kevin Ryan or Eamon Kelly managing anyone any more?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Cheddar for me all day but he probably would not touch it with the way the current county board work

Wingforward
Junior B

Post by Wingforward »

BanagherBoy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:00 am On a random note, are either Kevin Ryan or Eamon Kelly managing anyone any more?
Banagher Boy, I am not sure on Kevin Ryan but to the best of my knowledge i think Eamonn Kelly is involved with St Judes Hurling club in Dublin.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I don't think Joachim will go near it after his interview after our relegation to the CR..he and Carroll were very p*ssed off with the criticism they got, no need to rehash all that here now, suffice to say he took on the job at very short notice and with best of intentions...didn't work out, we were living in hope more so than confidence I suppose..thinking about the abuse Briann Carroll says the got from the stands etc. I was at a few club games at weekend and one of the games in particular some of the so called followers mouthing off at the opposition players and management, some of it not of a nice nature, and behavior of some players on field of play who why would anyone put themselves forward for even club, let alone county, this seems to have seeped in a lot in recent times and to me is reflective of what level both hurling wise and mentally we are at as a hurling county, I can see the scuffles on the sidelines down in Mayo and Wicklow ahead...I mightn't be wrong....

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Probably going to be ate for saying this, but are people getting carried away in thinking that a Kilkenny coach will be the answer for Offaly hurling.

Yes Brennan went in and had a good year with Laois but Laois have been working hard for a number of years to improve things. He would not of taken on the role if he felt there was no potential there.

Martin Fogarty went in with KK not so long ago when KK were at their peak and had a poor time with them. He had huge experience and was a winner.

Sure somebody could come in and do a great job. But in my opinion, if the players are not willing to give it absolutely everything and their attitude is not 100% focused, then whoever the coach is will be at nothing.

Trust me here, even a few players in a team dragging their heels can feck the whole thing up. I have experienced it and it has cost teams county championships. Especially now at county level, there is no place for anything less than total commitment. If you get that, then you have something to work with. Try at least to achieve the max or above of the squads capabilities.

The abuse of managers and players from the stands is totally unacceptable.