Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Re: Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

Post by Kevin »

Welcome aboard Michael.

Wishing you, the team and all involved much success.

Happy to see this development.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Anyone know the names on the Management Selection committee?? Well done to them

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

According to Brian Lowry on twitter:
"Offaly senior hurling panel will be an exciting and well organised set up in 2020 going on Michael Fennelly's words today. He spent the full day in Faithful Fields today meeting County Board officials, potential backroom team members, U20 management and media."

I presume there is an expectation in some quarters that he picks selectors in welly boots and flat caps who shout 'drive it' and 'get rid of it'.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I'd say most supporters will be delighted with Michael Fennelly and his management team, and wish them well. Offaly hurling needs to reverse the decline in recent years, and participate in the Leinster championship.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Wish him the best of luck. The make up of his mgt team will be everything. Apparently 12 people have been asked to come in and should be finalised by the next ten days. In one way there is no pressure and in other there is. Must win christy ring while not relying on those who can't cut it at Joe Mcdonagh. That's the balance that's needs to be struck.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

By all accounts Michael Fennelly will be at a SHC game today. Where do we expect him to rock up to?

Rath for Kinnitty v Coolderry would be my guess as it’s the game with the most riding on it providing Kilcormac / Killoughey justify their heavy favouritism.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Greatest piece of political dog-whistling I've ever seen,
Appears to launching a broadside against Trump and Johnson, but is actually angling for the Offaly manager's job!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 84724.html

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:34 am By all accounts Michael Fennelly will be at a SHC game today. Where do we expect him to rock up to?

Rath for Kinnitty v Coolderry would be my guess as it’s the game with the most riding on it providing Kilcormac / Killoughey justify their heavy favouritism.
He was in Clareen on Sunday along with Tommy Byrne, County Board Chairman.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Any word on backroom team?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if likes of Brian Carroll will be involved. They may have hurled Fitz in UL together as far as I am aware.

Would also expect to see likes of a Richie Power or someone of that vintage involved with maybe a few (younger people hopefully) from Offaly. Likes of the U20 management or at least 1 of them should be involved as a selector or involved in some capacity.
jimbob

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

SearingDrive wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:46 pm
frankthetank wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:34 am By all accounts Michael Fennelly will be at a SHC game today. Where do we expect him to rock up to?

That is just priceless. Can you imagine the chat! Tommy giving Michael Fennelly advice and heads up on the merits and non merits of our potential county hurlers!
jimbob

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Brian Mullins, Rory Hanniffy, Colm Cassidy, Joe Brady or Brendan Murphy would be all be good options.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

jimbob17 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:29 pm

That is just priceless. Can you imagine the chat! Tommy giving Michael Fennelly advice and heads up on the merits and non merits of our potential county hurlers!
Or, they could have been talking about backroom team members, plans for the year, club fixtures, or any one of the other hundred things where a manager has to work with a chairman.

I don't think even Tommy Byrne's most ardent critics would suggest that he would look to have an input into selection or other hurling matters like that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Lone Shark wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:59 am
jimbob17 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Or, they could have been talking about backroom team members, plans for the year, club fixtures, or any one of the other hundred things where a manager has to work with a chairman.

I don't think even Tommy Byrne's most ardent critics would suggest that he would look to have an input into selection or other hurling matters like that.
Calm down folks, he’s not Frank Murphy!
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Actually to the best of my knowledge Tommy Byrne was manager of the Gracefield Junior Hurlers this year so he probably had a lot more input into hurling in 2019 than most of the posters on this site.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am Actually to the best of my knowledge Tommy Byrne was manager of the Gracefield Junior Hurlers this year so he probably had a lot more input into hurling in 2019 than most of the posters on this site.
Gary Cahill must have been a selector with Gracefield so