Leinster Club Hurling Championship - Offaly Representative

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Leinster Club Hurling Championship - Offaly Representative

Post by DoingUntold »

Hi All,

This maybe a stupid question but its something that has crossed my mind.

First of all I am absolutely gutted we are now in Christy Ring. However, will the winners of the Offaly County Championship progress to the provincial stages of the competition due to relegation?

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Leinster Club Hurling Championship - Offaly Representati

Post by SearingDrive »

DoingUntold wrote:Hi All,

This maybe a stupid question but its something that has crossed my mind.

First of all I am absolutely gutted we are now in Christy Ring. However, will the winners of the Offaly County Championship progress to the provincial stages of the competition due to relegation?
The club championship is separate to the inter county competition. Of course, the Offaly county champions can play in the Leinster club championship.

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

For the record this time last year Laois were in trouble and almost threatened by relegation to the Christy Ring. The coordinator of the Leinster Club competitions told me that an implication of relegation would be that if Laois dropped to Christy Ring, then the county senior champions would not be allowed field in the Leinster Senior Club Hurling competition, rather the Senior Champions would be competing in the Leinster Intermediate Championship. I doubt if that rule envisaged Offaly dropping to Christy Ring, if it still exists, then for the 2020 Leinster Club championships the Offaly champions will only compete in the Intermediate(and probably be favs to win the outright competition). I would imagine the Offaly reps on the Leinster Council would need to make some move now to address the situation.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Pretty sure no team from christy ring can play senior club. Joe mcdonagh and liam mccarthy only. But that could change.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

suckindiesel wrote:For the record this time last year Laois were in trouble and almost threatened by relegation to the Christy Ring. The coordinator of the Leinster Club competitions told me that an implication of relegation would be that if Laois dropped to Christy Ring, then the county senior champions would not be allowed field in the Leinster Senior Club Hurling competition, rather the Senior Champions would be competing in the Leinster Intermediate Championship. I doubt if that rule envisaged Offaly dropping to Christy Ring, if it still exists, then for the 2020 Leinster Club championships the Offaly champions will only compete in the Intermediate(and probably be favs to win the outright competition). I would imagine the Offaly reps on the Leinster Council would need to make some move now to address the situation.
Thanks for that point. I was not aware of the rule about Christy Ring teams. If that's the rule, it should apply regardless of the county involved.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Apparently Offaly senior teams can take part in senior club Leinster championship.