Offaly V Kerry JMCD cup - can we win this game?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Offaly V Kerry JMCD cup - can we win this game?

Post by Fairplayalways »

rather than getting mulled up in all the other posts on the other JMCD blog, straight forward, do faithful fans think we can go to Tralee and get a win, and what changes might need to be made from Antrim defeat?

kingscounty
All Star

Re: Offaly V Kerry JMCD cup - can we win this game?

Post by kingscounty »

Hate to be negative but can’t see us winning, I’d love to be wrong of course

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Can we win it? Of course!
Will we win it? Probably not!
Why? Because if there was anything in those players we would have seen it against Antrim. Barring a few that tried, they rest were an embarrassment.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I find it hard to envisage a win here. Understandably, confidence is completely on the floor, the team hasn't won a meaningful game since the league match against Laois 16 months ago, and you could argue they haven't hurled well since the Kilkenny league quarter final a month after that.

Fitness is a problem, control of the puckout is a problem, touch and sharpness is a problem, and now they've to go to Kerry and take on a fast, fit Kerry side that was good enough to beat Westmeath a few weeks ago. The level of improvement needed is immense, they've to go away from home and they've to plan without Aidan Treacy and Conor Mahon. Of course anything is possible but Kerry at odds against in spots is just plain wrong, the home side should be clear favourites here.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Seems like an uphill climb.

Unless I'm reading it wrong it looks like Boylesports and Betfair have Offaly as slight favorites.

Seems strange. Wonder what the rationale is there?

Hopefully they pull through.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The rationale is tradition , they just can't imagine Kerry beating Offaly. They are mistaken, hope Offaly win but I think Kerry will. They will relish this match where Offaly will not. It will be a battle. Will Offaly fight?

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Have we the balls to go down there and draw a line under everything that is gone before?

Ball to the best man in space when we have the chance is what needs to be done, but can we do that?

Best of luck to the lads, fuck the fear factor....Kerry are under serious pressure too...so punish, be ruthless and aggressive in the right manner and we can get the result.

75 odd minutes, 15 plus subs v 15 plus subs!!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

private joker wrote:The rationale is tradition , they just can't imagine Kerry beating Offaly. They are mistaken, hope Offaly win but I think Kerry will. They will relish this match where Offaly will not. It will be a battle. Will Offaly fight?
Hoping our boys bring back some of the 'tradition' where we hammer the opposition when absolutely nothing is expected!

Good luck to the team and all involved. The results are all over the map in this JMCD thing. Time for us to get into the act!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Regan want current mgt gone after Kerry match. Says they are a disgrace.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

[quote="private joker"]Regan want current mgt gone after Kerry match. Says they are a disgrace.[/quot
Joachim and his team took over after Kevin Martin was axed, with 2 games to play. They will probably step down after tomorrow's game. Comments like that are unhelpful, and a bit unfair.
If Daithi wants to do something positive, why not apply to manage Offaly, and put his words into action. I can't see it happen though.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

On the eve of our biggest ever match...Regan comes out and goes on a major rant...great timing Daithi!!

The management came in made decisions what they feel is best for Offaly whether they are right decisions or wrong you still must admire them for putting themselves forward for the role.

His rant stinks of (poor old Kevin Martin my good friend who I won all Irelands with)

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

greenairfield wrote:On the eve of our biggest ever match...Regan comes out and goes on a major rant...great timing Daithi!!

The management came in made decisions what they feel is best for Offaly whether they are right decisions or wrong you still must admire them for putting themselves forward for the role.

His rant stinks of (poor old Kevin Martin my good friend who I won all Irelands with)
His rant stinks of no loyalty to players who trained since last January and a few Coolderry and Dumcullen players come in and make the matchday panel one of which Daithi says doesn’t start for the club. The timing is totally wrong but to many players have got shafted since the management team have come in and it's only been a month.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

another "distraction"..if I hear the line "oh Kevin is a good friend, a great Offaly man, owes Offaly nothing blah blah"...we know Kevin (Martin) is all the foresaid, no one is debating that, had he the ability to dig us out of the hole we were falling so far into with the bottom of that hole very much in sight??..I honestly don't think he had, the writing was on the wall after our league relegation defeat to Carlow (11 pts up at half time with an extra man..and loose the game!!)...Kevin should have left of his own accord that time...After hurling reasonably well against Laois (and loosing, and again to Westmeath with out a puff of resistance by the looks of it) I couldn't see him reversing things with the 2 games left...will the new management save us??..we don't know, and wont know until 4.30 or so tomorrow...BUT we had to try something, if it works, I wont say great, but the decision of the county board to change manager will have been justified, if it fails, they will not have been successful..BUT I personally think, and many that, change was required, Kevin and his management I doubt would have turned it around, they had long enough to prove otherwise, will the temporary management turn it around??..looks difficult but I think they (county board) had to take the chance..and that's from someone who is not a personal friend or any of that ould mullarky of kevin Martin)...managers, come and go, as do players, it is a results based scenario...your only as good as your last performance (or performances in this situation)unfortunately it hadn't been happening under Kevin Martin and the County board (as much as I mightn't like what they do in other ways) were dammed if they left Kevin in place and failed, and dammed if they remove him and the current interim set up fail to save us(in the interims favour is they have had little or no time to radically change the approach - I will give them one thing, all though we lost, the Antrim game was there and we didn't win it - we lost it by the 2/3 points and showed a bit of kick near the end when we got it down to a few points) what more can we ask only that players go out with confidence, and that will only come from "the fire that is lit under them" in the dressing room before the go out on the pitch..Best of luck to the lads tomorrow..I have a hunch we can pull this off...Offaly 3-17 Kerry 2-18...

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Regan is an absolute clown. No need for those comments at all. New management have every right to pick whoever the see fit. His usual rant looking for attention and offers nothing for the struggles the county is in.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I was reading his twitter posts there, apparently the treatment of one of the players dropped is his (Regans) gripe...I can see where he's coming from if that's the case BUT as I said earlier, players come and go, this happens from top to bottom in GAA in particular, has he (Regan)never been "slotted" into a team I wonder when he became available maybe where he wasn't available when team was picked..I am sure he was, and took his place too... the Regan comments/reasons for same reminds me of former players coming out saying they drank and smoked after training during Eamon Cregans reign, and he (Cregan) was aware of this (but turned a blind eye - for whatever reason), is the other side of the debate, was that fair on the lads not making the team BUT who stuck to the rules???..should they not throw their toys out of the pram on match day when the team was announced maybe earlier in the week and they were initially included??...one of Regans former managers admitted one time (at least he admitted it I suppose) to the media after a game that he left on a player (a relative) playing a provincial final (I think it was) for a full game despite his marker having a field day - "I really should have taken him off" was his words when asked after the game how he left on the player despite not being up to speed on the day so to speak ...such is the nature of the beast as they say..I feel for the young man concerned in Regans gripe, but he certainly isn't the first, nor wont be the last, its part of the territory, never liked it but it happens...lets concentrate on tomorrow and let everyone have a clean sweep there after, if there is new management coming in...I have edited this somewhat as I don't like personalizing current/former players who have enough on their plate God knows..hope we get over the line tomorrow, it will be a big task...
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.