Offaly v Sligo Round 2 Qualifier

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Offaly v Sligo Round 2 Qualifier

Post by LooseCannon »

2pm on Sunday week, June 23 in O'Connor Park.
Good Luck

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly v Sligo Round 2 Qualifier

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The usual health warnings apply here. A couple of months ago in the league Sligo had nothing to play for and Offaly were battling for survival. Sligo, who were down to 14 men, actually led at the end of the 70 minutes.

I can safely say Offaly have improved since then, but they are still within Sligo's range.
If Sligo have a good day and Offaly are any way off the mark we know how this could end up.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bord na Mona man wrote:The usual health warnings apply here. A couple of months ago in the league Sligo had nothing to play for and Offaly were battling for survival. Sligo, who were down to 14 men, actually led at the end of the 70 minutes.

I can safely say Offaly have improved since then, but they are still within Sligo's range.
If Sligo have a good day and Offaly are any way off the mark we know how this could end up.
Penalties? :wink:
Good Luck

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

One would imagine Offaly SHOULD win this, your right with the health warnings...its only a few weeks ago we were battling against relegation to DIV 4...improved, apparently, lets give it our best shot...

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Nonsense, we will win this.
Time to cut the crap spoken here and produce consistency.

Sligo had something to play for in that any team, even if down , wants to get a display going into the championship.
We should have scored 3 goals in the first half and missed 3 or 4 handy point scores. We battled against a storm in the second half and got a result.

That win over London following on from the Meath performance …..we need to push on and I guarantee the players will under Maughan want to get a win.

If a decent crowd gets out and creates a bit of an atmosphere, which the team deserve, I believe there is only one result.

A comfortable enough home win. But....and I say this strongly, Maughan does need to run the bench ...as someone said ...there were a few passengers the last day that were accommodated for too long!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Ok, some say we will win this..lets be having ye so..Ime going for Offaly 2-13...Sligo1-12..

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

5 point win for us

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Credit where it's due, that was decent. I remember coming out of the league game in Newry this year (still the only game in which this side was well-beaten) and thinking that while they made mistakes, they made mistakes trying to be positive, trying to do the right thing. They still make mistakes, but they attack games, they back themselves to get it right, and we're now in a situation where Offaly and Cork are the only teams still standing who will play Division 3 or 4 football next year. Moreover, and admittedly the standard of opposition is a huge part of this, but at this point of the season only Dublin and Tyrone have a higher scoring average per game than Offaly in the championship.

There's still no doubt that you couldn't say we have 21 strong players fit to make a decent contribution against high class opposition, but I can't wait to see how we do against a good opponent next week.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Overall quite happy with the performance and result today. Showed great commitment from start to finish underpinned by good level of fitness. Paddy Duncan didn’t have a lot to do but his one bit was a crucial save at a crucial time in the first half. One major plus is his free taking - think he kicked 3 from 3? Long enough looking at other county keepers doing this stuff so it’s great to have an Offaly keeper for once. Full back line was solid and Offaly probably benefited more by Sligo bringing out corner forward as Declan dempsey got on a lot of ball and always looked comfortable with it. The two midfielders put in a savage shift and while they might struggle with a 6’5” towering opponent, that’s for another day. Anton was immense from start to finish. No messing out of him, just total football. Good to see a spread of scores and I think we got 3-12 from play.

It’s just a great feeling to be in the draw tomorrow morning and whilst we’re not at the stage where others will be looking to avoid us, we certainly won’t fear anyone especially in Tullamore.
Doon exile....

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I have to admit that I was very nervous about this game remembering losing a good lead to Sligo in the last 10 mins in OCP not that long back.

So I was delighted with the display & result.

Having Eoin Rigney, Eoin Carroll, Peter Cunningham and of course Niall in the team makes a massive difference and Anton totally concentrated on the ball.

Then Paddy Dunican being solid & kicking 3 excellent points helped but the young man I want to mark out is Adam Managan. Kicked 2 fine points, one off either foot but the brilliant mark and excellent quick delivery leading to the second goal really impressed.

Now we might not be world beaters (yet !!!!) but bring on the next round...........

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Adam Mangan was brilliant. Forgot to mention him in my first post but Ryot covered it perfectly.
Doon exile....

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Well done lads great win

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Kept the game till last on Sunday game and didn’t even talk about it, rather took a dig saying we are the weakest team left in qualifiers!! Great motivation for the next day

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

A win is a win. Sligo are a very very poor team. Have not won a single game this year. Thats tells it own storey. Fair play to Offaly, two win on the trot.

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Cathal Mangan, he put in a good shift, and he is improving game by game.

I think we played decent and got some great team scores But defensively we allowed Sligo up the field very easily, we are marking space and Sligo could have scored 2 goals,with 15pts being a decent tally.

However, really in bonus territory, and looking forward to the draw.

Poor enough crowd too I thought today but sure wasn’t the bit of rain terrible, 20€, riveting football on the telly, girlfriend/boyfriend wanted to go to Ikea!