Offaly v London Football Qualifiers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Re: Offaly v London Football Qualifiers

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Offaly V Sligo. Good Draw!

Wingforward
Junior B

Post by Wingforward »

A great draw! I think this is as good a draw as we could of wished for. Expecting them to beat Sligo, we will be a tricky assignment for any team in the next round. Onwards and upwards!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Focus needs to be on Sligo and no further, we have good group of lads and decent manager. When you look at Meath reaching a Leinster final it could and should have been us. The route we have now will do us good to keep building confidence.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Sunday's game with London was a little frustrating to watch at times. My reckoning was that maybe Offaly took London a little for granted, and were not at full concentration at times. Many of our mistakes were just poor execution when NOT under pressure; badly aimed short passes, not catching balls first time, lads not looking for spaces to take passes, etc. We looked like we were playing in second-gear, and that London were not good enough to really punish our lackadaisical attitude.

Myself and "Biff-junior" (who accompanies me to most matches and is a better reader of the game than me) often reckon that we play much better against the better teams. With that in mind, I'm a little wary of the Sligo draw, although it is so much better than if we had drawn Tyrone, Armagh, Mayo, etc. We were able to dominate London completely, and we can expect similar play-patterns against Sligo. But John Maughan needs to show a bit more faith in his replacements. Apart from the one enforced change (due to injury), there were a few others of the starting 15 who were indulged way beyond their time.

But on the positive side, we finished both halves very well, scoring late where we have previously wilted in the League. There is reason to be optimistic. Let's not blow this great chance to raise the spirits and stretch the Summer out a bit.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

That's all pretty accurate. I took a bit of heart from the fact that at least the mistakes (albeit far too many of them) came from trying to do positive things, rather than just going through the motions. There is a real sense of going out to have a go about this group and while I'm not one of those who believes that everybody should play attacking football for the sake of it, I think it suits this particular set of players. You'd also have to say that they look fit and sharp, which hasn't always been the case with Offaly teams in recent years.

I would take the point about the bench, because there are a couple of players out there who seem to find it impossible to play their way off the team, and if a lad isn't fit to be brought in for a meaningful amount of time when the circumstances are right, he has no place on the 26 at all.

On the draw, it's great to get a home fixture and I think that there clearly is a bit more rust that needs to be worked out of the system before we're ready to take on a big fish, but you'd love to think that against a Sligo side that is low on confidence, we'd be able to pick things up another little bit, tidy up on the errors and hopefully built up a bit more confidence in advance of a round three game, where the inevitable Maughan vs Mayo tie comes to pass!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Wingforward
Junior B

Post by Wingforward »

Lone Shark, Is the game definitely fixed for Tullamore?

I didn't see the draw but i heard they picked from Offaly's Bowl 1st each time. Due to this, in the event 2 teams from division 3 and 4 were drawn against each other a coin toss would take place to decide the venue!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

To be honest I'm not sure - I thought it was at home but I'm only repeating what I heard. It's entirely possible that it could yet be an away game I suppose.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

The team drawn first have home advantage except if its a div 1/2 team v 3/4 team. So it’s Bord Na Mona O’C Park.
Doon exile....

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Is it not a separate draw for the div 3/4 teams? Westmeath/Limerick, Derry/Laois and Offaly/Sligo. The first named were in pot 1 and would have been drawn first regardless

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

It’s in Tullamore. Confirmed by Offaly GAA 11 minutes ago.
Good Luck

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

The game is at home. They were pulled out of bowl 3 first this morning.