Leinster Under 20 Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: Leinster Under 20 Hurling Championship

Post by kingscounty »

Beaten by a well drilled Wexford team, sweeper in the first half had us all over the place. An awful lot of pressure was on these young lads today with the massive crowd that turned up. Please god the set stays in place and we use today as a learning curve. Well done on this year, plenty to look forward to for next year. Also the support from Offaly fans over the last 3 games has been great to see,

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Very disappointing tonight as I think Wexford were there for the taking. Last 2 games now were only a puck of the ball with a minute or two left. Some really nice hurlers that fought to the bitter end and a never die attitude.

Lot of these will be U20 again so this year will stand to them and for others who promote to the senior team against lower opposition than in previous years and getting the experience might return a dividend in a year or two.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

The Under 20 Hurling Championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The U20 hurling championship got underway at the weekend with three first round ties decided.

Shamrocks beat St Rynagh's 4-14 to 0-17 in what was a rare win for the Rahan-Mucklagh club at the grade.
KIlcormac-Killoughey had a big win over Coolderry, 2-18 to 1-6.
Shinrone beat Drumcullen/Seir Kieran 1-14 to 0-9.

With the two clubs involved in Leinster club championships (St Rynagh's and Seir Kieran) beaten, and with Ferbane beaten in Leinster club football, this competition could be played with minimal disruption, with the possible exception of anyone on the Shannonbridge football team who might be hurling U20 with Belmont.

The quarter-final have been fixed for next weekend, which at the moment are arranged for Sunday 3rd November at 12 noon. This is still in line with the master fixtures plan issued back in the spring. The weekend's fixtures are:

Shinrone v Belmont at Shinrone
Cúchulainn Gaels v Ballinamere at Kinnitty
Shamrocks v Na Fianna at Mucklagh
Kilcormac-Kiloughey v St Brendan's at Kilcormac

Hard to pick a tie of the round. Shinrone (with Killian Sampson, Cillian Ryan and Dara Maher v Belmont (the holders) with David Nally and Cathal Flynn). Or perhaps Kilcormac-Killoughey led by Cathal Kiely against the Birr Parish team. The win over St Rynagh's will boost Shamrocks, though the leadership of Conor Langton and Joey Keenaghan should give Clodiagh Gaels an edge. Ciarán Burke, Ross Ravenhill and Brian Duignan will provide Ballinamere with strong leadership.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Who is over Offaly u20 in 2020?
All matches should be even enough. I'd fancy shamrocks, as they have 3 lads from Clara s winning intermediate team.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

What kind of team do St Brendan's and kk have this year

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Not to be going off on a tangent here, but who do players from Skenach/Killavilla hurl with (presuming there are any!).

Shinrone I guess?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Lone Shark wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:21 pm Not to be going off on a tangent here, but who do players from Skenach/Killavilla hurl with (presuming there are any!).

Shinrone I guess?
Given the underage arrangements, it’d be safe to assume so.
private joker wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:00 pm Who is over Offaly u20 in 2020?
All matches should be even enough. I'd fancy shamrocks, as they have 3 lads from Clara s winning intermediate team.
Na Fianna, Ballinamere or Belmont surely?

On another note, if my memory is accurate (it mightn’t be), weren’t Rynagh’s in a minor A hurling final 2 years ago. Seems to be a fall off of some sort. That being said, 3 Clara lads would strengthen Shamrocks, no doubt.

Last I read was that there was to be a couple of things to be ironed out between the outgoing management of Gary Cahill and Shane Hand with the county board.
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Shamrocks beat N.a. Fianna in a good game. They play st Brendan next who I still don't know how they can join up with two other club's. Having Birr, crinkle and carrig together is not right. CRC gaels have been on the go a long time now. Surely they should be able to field at u20 level now. And Birr should be fielding on their own also with the size of the town.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Should be fielding there own? Why should they be ?

When you come to adult level in any club there is a drop off a significant one at that.

Teams joing together makes it more competitive for the few matches that are played at the level.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Birr should be able to field on their own. They field on their own as far as I know at every single age group up to senior. Is not correct? So why join with two other club's for u20?. CRC gaels should be up to u20. Means more teams playing, means more young lads getting a game. How big is the st Brendan panel? How many lads who could be playing don't, cause there not needed.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

St Brendans and B/D in the final again this year.

I am hoping the Birr parish team get the win.
Getting to the county final at minor, U20, and senior level shows huge improvement in the club.
Well done to everyone involved.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Last time I checked, St Brendan’s incorporated 3 club. Jus’ sayin 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

3 clubs coming together to make U20 hurling gonal eh Bracknagh Boy??

Just think of the hurling possibilities for St Broughan’s?

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Yes that's why I said the Birr parish team and also called them St.Brendans the name of the team....smart arse!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Why do st Brendan s wear the birr jerseys? Surely it should be a combination of colours to represent the 3 clubs.
Also, birr should field in their own as should CRC gaels.