Leinster Under 20 Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Leinster Under 20 Hurling Championship

Post by greenairfield »

Why should they field there own?

Birr had 10 starters today Carrig had 5 Crinkle had 0.

CRC would struggle to have numbers at that level.

It has always been a parish team at that level it's going back 40+ years.

I wont even comment on the Jersey thing as its a compete stupid statement.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:06 pm Why should they field there own?

You give out about structures. Would it not be more beneficial to have more young lads hurling at the u20 grade then so, going by that logic?
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It's a combination team. Any combination team I know wear colours that represent their clubs.

How many were on the panel for this team? The fact that not one from crinkle were on the team proves my point. If they were on the own, birr would have at least 5 more lads hurling, CRC gaels would have at least 10 more playing.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

There is a serious drop out from sport gaa included when it comes to 17 or 18 years of age, It always is a clubs aim is to get as many players to adult level as you can.
Hence why teams have joined together at U20 level.

There is no B championship at U20 unlike minor level...it is one championship so if we went with a weaker team using CRC as an example and they got hammered in the first round which is knock out what sort of structure is that then?
Not exactly developing players is it?

The current structure is fine all players can play with there current club whether junior, intermediate or senior level and at the end of the year get the chance to make a competitive u20 team who has a chance of success.

Now on to the jersey aspect of it
The Birr club since St.Brendans started would always make 80 or 90% of the team.
You might get one or two from Crinkle or Carrig.
Over the last 5 years or so there has been more numbers from CRC making it due to the good work been done in CRC.
Yes I am sure there is a claim for the jerseys to be changed but dont try say it's the only club who doesn't change the jerseys.
Drumcullen / Clareen wear Drumcullen jerseys.
Kinnitty/ Lusmagh wear Kinnitty jerseys.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

The last time St Brendan's won the under 21 there was a good spread of players across three clubs.

Cuchulainn Gaels made up of kinnitty Lusmagh wear a different Jersey than their kinnity Lusmagh

Drumcullen clareen alternate their jerseys throughout the different age groups.

If St Brendan s is a parish team made up of three clubs it should reflect that fact in their jerseys. It's not Birr its the parish of St Brendan's and carrig and Riverstown.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

If more teams stopped joining up there be more to play in a B championship. Change the numbers to 13 a side . It's does Offaly no favours with so many joining up. Clubs need to be encouraged to field on their own.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Maybe it is the history with Birr and the fact were the one of the most successful and iconic hurling clubs in the country thats why we dont need to change our jerseys! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Never said birr should change their jerseys, just suggested that a parish team of St Brendan's and carrig and Riverstown should have jerseys to reflect the clubs that make up that team or have a neutral colour like yellow or pink.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Do you have the same objection to parish teams competing in the U20 football? (Because if you do, you might like to highlight where you made those objections previously. It amounts to the same thing.) I don't know of anyone in South Offaly who objects to the Birr parish amalgam at U20 level.

And while you're at it, what colours do St Michael's and St Patrick's wear in U20 football please?
LooseCannon wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:49 pm Last time I checked, St Brendan’s incorporated 3 club. Jus’ sayin 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:37 am Do you have the same objection to parish teams competing in the U20 football? (Because if you do, you might like to highlight where you made those objections previously. It amounts to the same thing.) I don't know of anyone in South Offaly who objects to the Birr parish amalgam at U20 level.

And while you're at it, what colours do St Michael's and St Patrick's wear in U20 football please?
LooseCannon wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:49 pm Last time I checked, St Brendan’s incorporated 3 club. Jus’ sayin 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.
I would have the same objection, if they were able to field separate teams. Highly unlikely that even a combination of Croghan and Clonmore could get a team, even at 13 a side. St Patrick’s largely comprise of Edenderry lads, according to True Red last year.

I believe that St Michael’s wear the Rhode colours. St Patrick’s wear the Edenderry jerseys.
The issue I have with St Brendan’s is that going from 2 different minor teams to 1 single u20 team isn’t exactly going to help retain players.
I did, at one point bring up St Manchan’s and said that they should be split into Ballycumber-Tubber and Doon-Erin Rovers as they once were. If they’ve to enter a B championship and field at 13 a side, at least they’re holding on to numbers.
I also have somewhat of an issue with Wheery. Ferbane have enough on their own and would have won the last two championships anyway. They’re not a parish team, but have 2 parishes supplying players. I’d imagine that the breakdown would largely favour in Ferbane’s direction, but still.
For instance, I have zero issue with Cúchulainn Gaels at all. It’s necessary. Same with Clareen and Drumcullen.

Basically the point I make is how 2 underage clubs go from having minor panels to joining up at u20 I cannot understand.
private joker wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:43 pm If more teams stopped joining up there be more to play in a B championship. Change the numbers to 13 a side . It's does Offaly no favours with so many joining up. Clubs need to be encouraged to field on their own.
This is largely it, in a nutshell.
greenairfield wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:06 pm Why should they field there own?

I read this week’s Tribune, so the teams may have changed from one game to another, but isn’t Joe Ryan from Crinkill? It could be a different person, but I recall a Joe Ryan playing for the Offaly Celtic Challenge team last year, with him being listed as CRC, while a Joe Ryan played for the Offaly minors this year (at either 5 or 7), with his club listed as Crinkill.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Sorry the Joe Ryan was slightly different.
I am pretty sure he did not hurl for CRC last year but did this year.
Word on the street is a transfer to the Birr club will happen this year as he is allowed to do so once he enters adult level hurling.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Following on from the minor win 2 years ago ballinamere followed it up with a strong second half to claim the U20 title.
If you were to say at half time that ballinamere would be comprehensive winners not many would agree with you. They were second best for long periods in the first half with birr running through them on a couple of occasions.

After waiting for a few minutes for birr to come out at half time ballinamere went 6 ahead with less than 6 minutes gone. The midfield and backs cleaned up everything and dominated throughout.

For birr to score 3-4 points I think in the second half you were never going to win a county final.

For ballinamere these are a strong group with many playing senior hurling another few years will help them develop.