Offaly U20s Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Re: Offaly U20s Football

Post by GAHMAD »

It was Cathal Donaghue who made the run and had a decent game and a fine year.
Struggled against Meath at midfield , and Meaths height in the forward line had us under pressure also.

Lot of players will be disappointed with their performances but couldn't fault the effort. Our 3 teams have only been a kick of a ball away from Meath in Navan this year but this team had the potential to go all the way to a Leinster final.

Well done to them on the effort and look forward to the guys who are eligible being ready for the step up to the senior panel.

Mgt left no stone unturned also from what I saw and fair dues to them on the work that was put in this year and last.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

GAHMAD wrote:It was Cathal Donaghue who made the run and had a decent game and a fine year.
Struggled against Meath at midfield , and Meaths height in the forward line had us under pressure also.

Lot of players will be disappointed with their performances but couldn't fault the effort. Our 3 teams have only been a kick of a ball away from Meath in Navan this year but this team had the potential to go all the way to a Leinster final.

Well done to them on the effort and look forward to the guys who are eligible being ready for the step up to the senior panel.

Mgt left no stone unturned also from what I saw and fair dues to them on the work that was put in this year and last.
Lads, I dont want to come across as negative on this post, but I am maybe just trying to address a theme that has become prevalent in Offaly GAA circles of late.

In my opinion, we have this "poor me syndrome", where we look to take great pride in putting it up to the "bigger teams". What the hell have we become? Are we so devoid of self respect that we are self congratulating when we lose to perceived strong counties. Meath are not any better or stronger than we are. We are Offaly. If we are right, They should fear us as much as us them. In hurling they will operate on tier above us next year and it is all our doing. Our demise is all our own doing through gross neglect, mismanagement and failure to keep up to date with modern times. It doesn't sit well with me.

If we had our house in order for last 15 years (which we didnt), we'd be more than competitive. If Maughan had just 3 or 4 more lads in that couldve been there, we'd have taken Meath. It all comes back to why we arent getting our best teams out - because playing for Offaly GAA has to a certain degree lost its social status that it once had. We were the team, the county that were the envy of many counties, both in football and hurling. We were and can still be a county that everyone wants to beat - simply by doing it right for and by the players from the ground up. There are certain people holding us back but make no mistake about this; if we have a group that is well organised and coached with the best players in best spots at any age level in either code, we will compete with best in the country. There have been underage football sides in this county (albeit sporadically) in last 10 - 15 years that could mix it with best in country and many just never went on to fulfil potential because of the apathy around senior teams! That is a fact! We have this bloody inferiority complex that just irritates the hell out of me.

Our U20 hurlers did well this year but I hate the fact that one win goes all over social media. We should have every team as prepared and as equipped as that team and then all teams have a chance.

Look at what Monaghan have done in football within last 10 years. Look at what Cavan have done. Look at Limerick in hurling, even Carlow in hurling. Clare have really lifted their level in football. they just got their house in order and did things really well with their teams for a period.

Tommy Lyons might have nailed it the other day when he said that the Dubs success was as much about hard work and smart, clever people doing things really well as it was about finance.

Could likes of Birr and maybe another local club afford to put up 16,000 a year to fund a Games Promotion Officer for that area. Let schools contribute a little and maybe some local businesses a little and then it is even less for clubs. Leinster GAA will cover the other 16,000. Now could this be replicated around Banagher? Could it happen in Tullamore or between Tullamore and a neighbouring club? Could it happen between Edenderry and Daingean Parish clubs or even either to go on their own. Imagine if we had a county board that were proactive, resourceful, approachable, appreciative and thought about the bigger picture the way the Dublin County Board do.

So forgive rant if it appears as undermining recent events. Well done to all on us being competitive in respective competitions but to me, being competitive with these teams is the base level of expectation!
jimbob

Alloutbarthegoalie
Junior B
Club: Edenderry

Post by Alloutbarthegoalie »

Well said jimbob.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Super post jimbob totally agree with everything you said ...especially the fact we need more coaching officers around clubs like Birr I would love to see the Birr club back it and get someone qualified enough and share the cost maybe with another club ..in my opinion then and only then will we properly improve.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

GPOs shared amongst 3 or 4 clubs is the way to go. 3 clubs, 5k each. Very little when you weigh up long term benefits compared to paying a senior manager 10k plus. That way they can cover schools, coach education, run summer camps and look after player development in a narrow focused way. In Meath their clubs have bought into it. They have gone from 6 full time staff to 22. Same in Dublin. Clubs pay 50 % of Gpos salary. Most have their own but a few share.

TheSalmon1
Junior B

Post by TheSalmon1 »

jimbob17 wrote:
GAHMAD wrote:It was Cathal Donaghue who made the run and had a decent game and a fine year.

Lads, I dont want to come across as negative on this post, but I am maybe just trying to address a theme that has become prevalent in Offaly GAA circles of late.

In my opinion, we have this "poor me syndrome", where we look to take great pride in putting it up to the "bigger teams". What the hell have we become? Are we so devoid of self respect that we are self congratulating when we lose to perceived strong counties. Meath are not any better or stronger than we are. We are Offaly. If we are right, They should fear us as much as us them. In hurling they will operate on tier above us next year and it is all our doing. Our demise is all our own doing through gross neglect, mismanagement and failure to keep up to date with modern times. It doesn't sit well with me.

If we had our house in order for last 15 years (which we didnt), we'd be more than competitive. If Maughan had just 3 or 4 more lads in that couldve been there, we'd have taken Meath. It all comes back to why we arent getting our best teams out - because playing for Offaly GAA has to a certain degree lost its social status that it once had. We were the team, the county that were the envy of many counties, both in football and hurling. We were and can still be a county that everyone wants to beat - simply by doing it right for and by the players from the ground up. There are certain people holding us back but make no mistake about this; if we have a group that is well organised and coached with the best players in best spots at any age level in either code, we will compete with best in the country. There have been underage football sides in this county (albeit sporadically) in last 10 - 15 years that could mix it with best in country and many just never went on to fulfil potential because of the apathy around senior teams! That is a fact! We have this bloody inferiority complex that just irritates the hell out of me.

Our U20 hurlers did well this year but I hate the fact that one win goes all over social media. We should have every team as prepared and as equipped as that team and then all teams have a chance.

Look at what Monaghan have done in football within last 10 years. Look at what Cavan have done. Look at Limerick in hurling, even Carlow in hurling. Clare have really lifted their level in football. they just got their house in order and did things really well with their teams for a period.

Tommy Lyons might have nailed it the other day when he said that the Dubs success was as much about hard work and smart, clever people doing things really well as it was about finance.

Could likes of Birr and maybe another local club afford to put up 16,000 a year to fund a Games Promotion Officer for that area. Let schools contribute a little and maybe some local businesses a little and then it is even less for clubs. Leinster GAA will cover the other 16,000. Now could this be replicated around Banagher? Could it happen in Tullamore or between Tullamore and a neighbouring club? Could it happen between Edenderry and Daingean Parish clubs or even either to go on their own. Imagine if we had a county board that were proactive, resourceful, approachable, appreciative and thought about the bigger picture the way the Dublin County Board do.

So forgive rant if it appears as undermining recent events. Well done to all on us being competitive in respective competitions but to me, being competitive with these teams is the base level of expectation!
Hammer, meet nail.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

I see that Laois hammered Meath last night in Portlaoise, is home advantage a huge deal at this age group

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Well said Jimbob.

Of course you are right.

But your point comes back to “if only”.

My point is that these 2 u20 teams were as well prepared as other teams, fact.
Did they perform to their best v Meath,?, no. Could they have won the game , ? Yes.

Why they underperformed is a question, but they are going in the right direction.

Many of the other points around clubs spending money on GDA’s are valid , have ye brought this suggestion to your clubs lads?
Just a thought, but if you’re not part of the solution,you’re part of the problem.

Brendan Grace said it, “if only” were not part of his vocabulary