Offaly U20s Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly U20s Football

Post by Bord na Mona man »

True Red wrote:I agree with the posters above that long term it will be a good thing that these two are playing Under 20's only right now.....they are been allowed develop at their own age group.

but cripes almighty I'm still thinking back to that meath game in Navan......run the two of them in with 10 mins to go.......
Yes, I am puzzled by what Offaly thought they were achieving last year by letting Cian Johnson train with the seniors and play competitive games with them in Spring.
But by not playing him for a few minutes in the championship, that's how we're going to prolong his career.

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

So Cian solved that conundrum by not training with either of them until maybe 8 weeks ago.

I think ye need to let this go and accept the fact that between 20's and Senior we are not in a bad place at all, why, because panel of seniors worked hard and U20 panel of up to 40 players are working hard..... maybe not by design but hopefully taking a more strategic view.

Once again Johnson is not the complete article but I think come next October he will be ready to train for Senior, along with Cian Farrell (I think Farrell is a more exciting prospect long term), Chilly Donnelly, Jack Cullinane, Ed Bennett. Jack McEvoy maybe, plus there are another 5 or 6 that will have next year and the year after at U20 level that I would see have the ability to make it at Senior.

So take off the blinkers on young Johnson and Farrell(or the 2 Cians as Kevin Corrigan likes to rattle off, look at the bigger picture with both groups.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

We have seen over a number of years where we shoved lads into senior too quickly at a young age when they arguably were not fully ready and they got swallowed up before they ever got really started and never fulfilled potential at inter-county senior. Young McPadden and Ken Casey (a serious underage talent) being a case in point even though I think he should be in there now as a starter for last 4-5 yrs.

The same happened at the hurling with loads of lads. Lads should be in with U20s and given 2-3 yrs to get their physical conditioning up to speed. I'd even advocate for an u23 team being put in inter / junior competition like other counties do as a dev squad.

The 2 Cians are talented there is no doubt, but talent doesnt cut the mustard at county senior level. What are their fitness levels like, their work-rate, their character to take hits and tackle? How hard do they work at their conditioning? They will be the deciding factors for these lads. I know from seeing them that they have the skills but so do others at that age like young Bryant and Nathan Poland among others.

We are much better served by keeping them at U20s and then putting them in when they are ready. The football side of things is a lot stronger potentially than hurling for next few years as some good work has gone on at county dev level and underage teams over last 10 years comparatively with the hurling.

Maughan has done fairly okay imo albeit with a very weak squad from nos 18-30. If another 5 or 6 of the best lads make themselves available and we can bring through 3 or 4 younger players, I can see us really contending with Laois, Meath and Kildare and Westmeath to be No2 team in Leinster.
jimbob

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Good win after a terrible first half 8 points down but showed real bottle in the second half to come back and win by 6. The chips were down nothing was going right but they kept going and held Clare to a single point from a free in the second half Ciaran Donnelly super at wing back Donoghue a mountain at midfield again Johnson sprayed in some nice balls set up 2 goals and scored 1-2 himself Jack Bryant 1-1 off the bench. Basically a final against Westmeath next week now to win the tournament. Great stuff onto tomorrow now

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Very good second half after a poor first half. Jack Cullinane kicked out well, particularly in second half, Kevin Mc was very good after moving to wingback, Bolger and Bracken were good along with Donnelly in defence, and Cathal O Donoghue had a huge second half in midfield. Up front was decent enough. It was a good win over a decent enough Clare outfit and looking forward to the game in Mullingar on Wed night.
Fair dues to the team and Mgt for turning things around in the second half, great to see that type of tactical awareness.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Tournament won well done lads

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

On a scoreline of 1-15 to 0-14, with Edenderry’s Cian Farrell chipping in with 1-11, 0-03 from play according to Mary Dunne.
Onwards and upwards again!
I presume Leinster starts in a couple of weeks?
Good Luck

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Think it’s Carlow away

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

LooseCannon wrote:On a scoreline of 1-15 to 0-14, with Edenderry’s Cian Farrell chipping in with 1-11, 0-03 from play according to Mary Dunne.
Onwards and upwards again!
I presume Leinster starts in a couple of weeks?
Just for accuracy, Cian Farrell scored a goal from play last night. He was Offaly's best player.

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Serious performance by Cian Farrell, and well done to team and management.

Westmeath were decent and with better free taking might have well won the game.
Offaly missed some goal chances and turned over a lot of ball to Westmeath in the first 20 mins.

A minutes silence was observed for Aaron Buckley, may he rest in peace and sympathy to his family and friends.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Massive win today against Carlow, well done lads

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Carlow very poor but very good from Offaly.

Meath tue week in navan

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Best of luck tonight in Navan to all involved

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Offaly 0-12 Meath 1-12 disappointing result

Wingforward
Junior B

Post by Wingforward »

A very disappointing result for a very talented bunch of players. I have no doubt the players themselves will be gutted with this result.

I was in attendance at the game last night and just to give a quick summary. Meath Started the game very brightly hitting Offaly for 1-1 inside the opening 5 mins. Offaly responded gallantly and dominated the game from here until half time but could not convert the possession into score's kicking some very bad wide's in the process. The half time score was 1-5 to 0-7 in Meaths favor!

Offaly started the 2nd half brightly kicking some more poor wide's before leveling matters up from a Cian Farrell free. This was as good as it got for Offaly as Meath had a good purple patch and hit Offaly for 4 points. Offaly fought back hard and should of went ahead from a brilliant run from Jack McEvoy (as far as i can remember) he laid off a pass to one of the inside forwards who in turn laid off another pass to possibly Cian Johnson who palmed to ball wide from what looked like an unmissable position. Offaly threw the whole kitchen sink at Meath and had 2 brilliant chances to go ahead and level it during the 8 mins injury time the ref added. It wasn't to be for this fine group of players where on another day they could of hit the net 3 times and be looking forward to a Leinster semi final against Laois next Tuesday.

Offaly probably had the majority of the possession over the course of the 70 + minutes which the referee played but they couldn't turn the possession into the scores. Whatever the possession stats are the big talking point from an Offaly's perspective is going to be missing the 2 or 3 glorious goal opportunities in the 2nd half.