Offaly Minor Football Team Named

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Re: Offaly Minor Football Team Named

Post by GAHMAD »

Lone Shark makes a valid point about the level of work being done by the clubs in preparing the players with the skills of the game.

I think that this is a major issue and that more emphasis at u13 should be on game time for players and skills, and conditioning basics. I know guys out there "coaching teams" who won't play challenge matches without their strongest team available to them, giving guys minimal game time, playing them in the same position, and cant wait for u13 so that 3 or 4 core lads can dominate the game down the middle.
Looking at the game the other night, I have to say that the use of the ball, (albeit in poor conditions) was pretty poor. Passes going to ground or generally putting the receiver under pressure and thus allowing Meath to double up.

What you couldn't fault was effort by most of the team, but there are a few on the team who maybe don't put in the hard tackles, and there is definitely a shortage of scoring forwards out there at this age.

What am I saying, well, Management set up in a certain way and were 2 pts down with 7 mins to go, they were close to winning a penalty which would have levelled the game, (borderline whether player was in the square)…...and played the game to the best advantage. Circumstances can dictate how you go about a game and I admire the management in taking an approach that nearly produced a result.

The point is, many are talking about the fantastic work that is going on in Meath underage and senior level and we have pushed them close the last 2 years at minor and came close on Sunday.
I'm sick to the bollix listening to tradition and how "the Offaly way" should be played and am happy that management have worked to adapt and get the best from what they have. It's not perfect by any means but I like the work that is being done and we are moving in the right direction.

This however needs to filter out across the club scene, and will do if clubs insist on coaches making more effort to educate themselves.

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Another game that could have been won tonight. Too many missed chances, especially goal chances and some frees from the right. But a poor start where there was a lot of admiration of the Dubs left Offaly 2-05 to 2 pts behind. They recovered well to bring it back to 2-05 to 6pts.
Positives, Lee Pearson was unreal , especially when he moved into the full back line, and kick out plan was well executed by Cathal Ryan, young Furlong was very good at half back. Luke Egan in midfield did well as did Adam Kelly, Cormac Delaney kicked frees well.

There is no doubt that the chance was missed to progress in the Meath game , and some guys needed to up the tempo a little more.
Some poor link up play in both games was the difference. But fair play for the effort put in over the year from team and management.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Meath beat wexford by 24 points tonight. Puts last week's result into perspective I think. Well done to the mgt and players of 2019. Hopefully they will go on to have careers at u20 and senior level.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It certainly puts the Meath result in perspective. The next step is U20, which is three ears away. Ordinarily, U18 Minor players would go straight onto their club's Senior team and continue their development there. But this will not happen when these lads are 17. Something needs to be done at county development level to keep the momentum so the previous four years are not wasted by lack of proper continued development.
private joker wrote:Meath beat wexford by 24 points tonight. Puts last week's result into perspective I think. Well done to the mgt and players of 2019. Hopefully they will go on to have careers at u20 and senior level.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Minors have entered the shield competition and play Longford in Tullamore on Sunday before the replay of Kildare and Longford.

Tip on in there on Sunday and good chance to see the young lads play for yerselves.

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Any update on situation with management for next years minor football?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

GAHMAD wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:50 pm Any update on situation with management for next years minor football?
It’s Ken Furlong, isn’t it?
Read it yesterday in the paper.
Good Luck

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Fair enough, Ken has done great work with Tullamore and should do well.