Meath v Offaly 12th May 2019 @3pm Navan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Meath v Offaly 12th May 2019 @3pm Navan

Post by LooseCannon »

Would it be a good idea for the county board to seek permission for the team to line out in the 1982 inspired geansaí?

Just a suggestion. I may be off my rocker. I’d like to think that I’m not. It just entered my mind there and it seems like it would be a nice acknowledgment, especially after the unfortunate news of this morning.

We’ll more than likely be wearing white anyway. The only potential issue would be the lack of the GAA logo.
They’ll probably be wearing amber jerseys.
Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The crest is another difference. And the Carroll's logo.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Interesting Irsh Times piece where Keith Duggan accompanies John Maughan on his drive from Castlebar to Kilcormac.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic ... -1.3880019
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The crest is another difference. And the Carroll's logo.
I know that the crest is different. I’d imagine that it would be no issue. I presume that they have the crest trademarked or whatever as KC Sports, who are based in Mullingar designed a retro jersey marketed as a retro 82 jersey with a more modern crest.

As for the Carroll’s logo, I’m sure that they wouldn’t mind waiving their logo on a jersey for one game. It’s not as if they care that much about PR. If they did, Offaly wouldn’t be wearing the same jerseys for the fourth year running.

I commend the county board on a fantastic idea. Praise where it’s due. Not saying that they’re perfect…
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I see Tommy Byrne taking credit for the idea...he hardly came up with a good idea.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I’d be pretty sure this was an O’Neills concept.

Who stands to make the most out of this in fairness?

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

are meath that good lads? lot of meath people talking of them challenging the dubs? i seen them against clare in ennis and they were poxed to win.looked a very average team to me. offaly 10/1? seems a tempting price for small money..?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

hopefully Offaly will be competitive on Sunday, that would be my ask of them, and if they are, they will stay with Meath bit, I cannot see either how Meath can be such favourites, fair play they got out of Division 2, but what else have they done in recent times??..they may be well back in Div 2 next year again. It would be great for football to see them or Offaly mounting a bit of a run in Leinster, we know we haven't a chance of winning it but a competitive run would be nice, either in Leinster or qualifiers...Meath 2-15 Offaly 1-13 Ime predicting, and yes, I am being optimistic.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

If Offaly are to win the mentality has to be we are going to cause an upset..
This whole we have to stay with them is rubbish if players are going out on the field they have to believe they are going to win for a good performance.
Meath are capable of not showing up so a good start from Offaly might get them thinking.
Best of luck to all

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I see that the bookmakers have the handicap at 7 points. It’ll be closer than that I think, provided our injury doubts are ok.
Good Luck

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

In reply to greenairfield, where exactly are all the Offaly scores in this "good start" or Meath "not turning up" going to come from, I think during the league from memory we hit 15 point mark in one game (V Carlow??)...Meath are not world beaters and while they struggled to beat Clare, Clare would have beaten Offaly in the League this year from the matches I seen them win, they beat Cork by nine points in this years league, would Offaly beat Cork at all, as poor as Cork are at the moment, I doubt Offaly would, so basing the Meath game on form, Meath should beat Offaly and probably will, and unfortunately, "staying with them" will be Offalys only hope of catching them, hoping Meath begin to self doubt or whatever AND Offaly score a bit easier than they did in the league...as for them (Meath) not turning up, I don't thing they will be that good and may still get over the line, as for a good start for Offaly, again its hard to see where the scores will come from, 4/5 points would be a good start but Meath wont be sitting back waiting for Offaly to come at them, in a home game they will be anxious to hit the ground running, Meaths totals in their league 2 games were fairly hansom compared to some of Offalys totals, Meath only lost one game in what was a tough division 2, with a +27 scoring difference at end of league, Offaly wer a division below them (2 divisions now), finishing third in Div 3with a -10 scoring for their division, I hope I am wrong but its just hard to see where scores are going to come from for Offaly over the entire game...unless Meath don't physically turn up at all...but we hope as they say...

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I've little interest in intercounty football anymore as it has been completely ruined by "tactics" and robot footballers.
However, I will be in Navan on Sunday for the simple reason that it may be the last game we ever get to support an Offaly in the Leinster championship.
The cries for tiered championship are growing louder and louder ant by God the GAA will be happy to answer them, even Maughan is saying on RTE it needs to be looked at which tells you all you need to know about the frame of mind he is in for Sunday.

Oh go on then I'll give you a glimpse into the wonderful tiered future:

Saturday May 15th 2021
Conor Mortimer Cup Round 1
Leitrim v Offaly in Carrick-on-Shannon @ 2pm

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

and what would be wrong with that bracknagh boy? sure were playing mayo in the hurling league next year.if thats the level we find ourselves at lets go ahead and win the b championship as a springboard for future development ? as stated above the bookies think meath will beat us by 7 points sunday. thats where we are. no point in thinking were better than we are. we finished 22nd in this years league..

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck