Joe McDonagh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Re: Joe McDonagh cup

Post by Kevin »

This year and forward unless it changes at some point, the last place team goes down without a playoff. (If what I read is accurate).
Wing Back wrote:Haven't posted in a while. The whole situation we find ourselves in is disheartening. I'm not going to add any further to what has been said about the various issues.

I hope Joachim can instil some confidence back into the group in a short period of time. Please god he can steady the ship and have the team in reasonable shape mentally for a tough game with Antrim.

One question though.....

If we lose to Antrim, does the game versus Kerry become immaterial, as we enter a relegation play off regardless. or is it a case that the bottom team goes down with no play off?

#Esto Fidelis
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

"Bottom placed team shall be relegated to the Christy Ring Cup", reads the current rule.

So, with Antrim having already beaten Kerry, even if Offaly beat Antrim they still need to get a result in Tralee to ensure survival. Offaly don't necessarily have to beat Antrim to survive, but naturally with morale on the floor there is no hope going to Tralee without the prior boost of a win over Antrim.
Wing Back wrote:Haven't posted in a while. The whole situation we find ourselves in is disheartening. I'm not going to add any further to what has been said about the various issues.

I hope Joachim can instil some confidence back into the group in a short period of time. Please god he can steady the ship and have the team in reasonable shape mentally for a tough game with Antrim.

One question though.....

If we lose to Antrim, does the game versus Kerry become immaterial, as we enter a relegation play off regardless. or is it a case that the bottom team goes down with no play off?

#Esto Fidelis
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It was evident in Mullingar that something was very wrong. Offaly were lifeless, stuck to the ground, looked like a team who were ran into the ground the day before. They weren’t playing for each other, they weren’t playing for the manager and they weren’t playing for Offaly.

This is in contrast to the Laois performance, where at least they had a cut at it but ultimately weren’t good enough. With morale as low as it was on Saturday evening, it was hard to see how they could turn it around for the Antrim game (who, lets face it, love playing against Offaly). Now as far as survival is concerned, the Kerry game is the one that simply HAS to be won, but there’d be no hope in Tralee having lost to Antrim. And so on. It’s tough on Kevin, whose reputation as a player of course remains intact, but his departure is for the good of Offaly hurling, and anyone who was in Mullingar can see that.

The warmup routine for both Laois and Westmeath matches gave rise to concern. Low pace to it, a maximum of six balls at the one time with a lot of standing around waiting. It was poor preparation for an intercounty hurling match in 2019 and most club teams’ warmups are carried out a greater pace than that.

As for Joachim, firstly it fulfils a life’s ambition for him. We can be guaranteed the attitude will be the polar opposite to what it was in Mullingar. Expect the players will be bouncing out the tunnel, expect a warmup routine with plenty of shouting and communication, expect a ruthless Offaly get to the ball first and move it to their forwards’ advantage. 26 days to save Offaly hurling, but I’d be much more confident of survival now.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

A few new faces on the panel at tonight's training - all signs are positive for the next few weeks.

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

chimbonda wrote:A few new faces on the panel at tonight's training - all signs are positive for the next few weeks.
I hope this doesn't turn out to be something akin to Ole at Man.Utd, new man comes in and there's a lift...just plastering over the cracks.
Or, a sign that south players wouldn't put in the effort for a Tullamore man, these could be the accusations if JK gets the results. I just hope we don't read too much into the results of the next 2 games.

The whole big picture needs to be addressed. As Fr.Dougal said..... 'careful now!'

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Heard that two of the members of the management team are from Birr and Coolderry respectively.
Good Luck

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Geansai Gorm wrote:
chimbonda wrote:A few new faces on the panel at tonight's training - all signs are positive for the next few weeks.
I hope this doesn't turn out to be something akin to Ole at Man.Utd, new man comes in and there's a lift...just plastering over the cracks.
Or, a sign that south players wouldn't put in the effort for a Tullamore man, these could be the accusations if JK gets the results. I just hope we don't read too much into the results of the next 2 games.

The whole big picture needs to be addressed. As Fr.Dougal said..... 'careful now!'
I wouldn’t get carried away, they didn’t perform when SID was in charge. We can’t turn this into an us versus them, the only way forward is collective thinking. Maybe a new thread should be set up , name all you think is wrong/right at this moment in time, and then suggestions/solutions for Offaly GAA to get right back on track! The interest that is stoked when we get beaten seems to outweigh the interest when the lads actually get a win!

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

In a way JOachim Kelly is in a win win situation, much like Rouse was last year with the footballers. Fail to win both or either of the games and nobody will point any fingers his way. Win a game and he’ll be the hero that saved the day and will have people calling for him to be the long term Appointment.

It’s actually a great time to come on board with no time to do anything but get stuck in to it and try to get a better tune out of who is already on the panel and get a few new faces to parachute into the team who just need to commit for a few weeks and can then go about their business again.

I’d be shocked and disappointed if there isn’t a bounce. There bloody better be!

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Killeighman wrote:http://hoganstand.com/Offaly/article/in ... um=twitter
Management team named in the link
Tommy won’t be going anytime soon so by the sounds of it!

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Fair play Tommy...dead right.

I would have been one of the few who would have said to stall the digger in relation to the long term appointment of Paul Rouse. Great lad and passionate about Offaly GAA, but would have been knee jerk reaction to defeating Antrim (we should do anyaway in Tullamore ), and narrow defeat to Clare.
If you recall that Clare game, team was loaded with players from Tullamore and Rhode and we could have been beaten out the gate in the first half, we got a soft goal and they missed 4 clear goal chances. That management were completely focused on Senior clubs. Brian Darby was added to the panel after retiring and had his best game in years against Clare! So its the Ole effect all over.

Fairplayalways, you have launched another thread looking for who could be added to the panel and not insulting current players etc....and your point is valid, the core of the lads that committed to Offaly and who put in the work need to be retained... and individuals not slated here. But whats the point? Our job is to get the Dart/Luas/ or Kearns to O Connor Park (Someone please put in the GPS coordinates for ala carte hurling fans ) for the Antrim game, and hoping that the bandwagon gets rolling again then we might get a trip to Kerry overnight and rekindle the glory days.

Joachim in fairness did a savage job last year with Coolderry and they were excellent. However, he has a job to do to weed out the guys who openly downed tools last week and in many of the games to date this year. And likewise, we need to be very careful in glorifying anyone who comes in over the next few weeks after refusing to come in earlier in the year.
It sickens me now and it sickened me last year too the way things have come to rock bottom in the public eye and everyone is talking yet again about the negative aspects of Offaly GAA.
No one commenting on any of the minor teams players that look like they have a future, no comment here about the U20's up coming first round against Westmeath in the hurling and what the preparation has been like there. I know that our U20 footballers are putting in great work and look like they could have another promising season after decent performances last year.

Bottom line here is to allow the management to do their job under the radar and not go waffling about whos there now, whos gone, who they've played etc, how they will play and free up your time to get out and support the team.

And more importantly give a little time, whatever you have to your club underage coaching or ….more importantly admin side of things where real impacts can be made.
God knows that's where you can make a difference as Substandard has started the ball rolling.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

some good valid points made, like many here, I don't mind collective criticizing of a team/panel, but all I am saying is I see people, not here too much thankfully, saying player X wouldn't make our Junior team etc. etc..while I am sure player x doesn't give two tonks what any of us say here, I was just asking that people don't single out player by name and slate them on public forums, that's all...basically I was just asking before anyone did go down that road...I and many don't like that, these are all young men, gossoons at the end of the day. Others here don't comment on underage as to be honest, I and many don't really have the time (or money) to follow every code and underage etc. so maybe I am only fashioned but I stick mainly with county senior hurling (and football) and senior club in both codes...keeping a general eye on the underage, but certainly no equipped enough to comment on them..that's just me and many, I cannot speak for everyone...onwards and upwards and hopefully we will be "turning the corner"(remember that saying)..

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Talking to people who are in the know they are saying Offaly want the Antrim game in Birr..interesting if so. :)

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

greenairfield wrote:Talking to people who are in the know they are saying Offaly want the Antrim game in Birr..interesting if so. :)
Antrim would want the game in Birr given that their record is 4 wins and 2 losses in the 'fortress'. :lol:

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

OCP is some fortress :lol: