Joe McDonagh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
hamstrings
Junior A

Joe McDonagh cup

Post by hamstrings »

Any one know of the dates offaly's fixtures are taking place ? Or rough guide
Thanks
Last edited by Plain of the Herbs on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling McDonagh

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Joe Mcdonagh cup

Post by bracknaghboy »

McDonald Cup 2019 Fixtures

Round 1: 11th/12th of May
Offaly v Laois in Tullamore

Round 2: 18th/19th of May
Westmeath v Offaly in Mullingar

Round 3: 1st/2nd of June
Offaly v Antrim in Tullamore

Round 4: Bye Bye

Round 5: 15th/16th of June
Kerry v Offaly in Tralee

Final 30th of June in Croke Park

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Joe McDonagh cup

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Whle I was typing, I see Bracknaghboy answered some queries. And my suspicions regarding the Final venue have been confirmed. Serious question, where did you see the venues have been confirmed? I took my information from the GAA's Master Fixtures plan which is on GAA.ie

The exact dates and times for that particular cup have not yet been finalised, though the particular weekends have been. And if I recall, it was late in the day before dates and times were announced last year. Anyhow, here goes, from the GAA’s master fixtures schedule, with the first named at home:

Weekend of 11th/12th May: Offaly v Laois; Antrim v Kerry. (Sunday 12th May is Meath v Offaly in Leinster Senior football, so most likely the hurling will be on the Saturday)

Weekend of 18th/19th May: Westmeath v Offaly; Laois v Antrim

Weekend of 25th/26th May: Westmeath v Kerry (Offaly are fixed to play Westmeath in Leinster U20 hurling on Monday 27th)

Weekend of 1st/2nd June: Offaly v Antrim

Weekend of 8th/9th June: Antrim v Westmeath; Kerry v Laois

Weekend of 15th/16th June: Kerry v Offaly; Laois v Westmeath (Winners of Offaly v Westmeath are fixed to play Carlow or Antrim in U20 hurling on Saturday 15th, and these two will have to be played simultaneously, so it will be interesting to see how this pans out)

Sunday 30th June = Final. Last year, the Final was played before the Leinster Final, with the Leinster Minor final moved to a provincial venue the day before. My guess is they will do the same again - afraid to ask the Munster crowd to move their Minor final to accommodate the JMcD.

Saturday 6th July = All-Ireland eighth-final (for the two finalists).
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Looking at the fixture list, I am genuinely excited about the championship for the first time in years. They will be 4 good games with teams at our standard with something really tangible to play for. Bring on the Summer.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I’m certainly not excited about going to Championship matches on a Saturday afternoon in OCP with 200 people at them.
Graveyard slot in the wilderness.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

frankthetank wrote:I’m certainly not excited about going to Championship matches on a Saturday afternoon in OCP with 200 people at them.
Graveyard slot in the wilderness.
Well in fairness it’s up to the supporters to support the team no matter who their playing, I’ll be at as many of the games as possible. Don’t forget it’s all about getting back into the Leinster championship next year so we have plenty to play for. I’d much rather go to a game that we have a chance of winning than going year after year getting slaughtered by Galway/ Wexford/Kilkenny etc

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

llkj wrote:Looking at the fixture list, I am genuinely excited about the championship for the first time in years. They will be 4 good games with teams at our standard with something really tangible to play for. Bring on the Summer.
Word up!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I agree that Saturday evening or Sunday are the only times for Championship matches. Looks like that is not decided yet, as the exact dates are still TBD.

How far in advance does that get decided does anyone know?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

If only it was in Birr

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:If only it was in Birr
Aye.
Shur we’d be back at the top table in no time!
Good Luck

hamstrings
Junior A

Post by hamstrings »

Thanks bracknaghboy ,
This competition isn't going to survive too much longer unless it's promoted more with RTE and Tg4.

However as bad we think it is , it's a chance at silverware for the players involved and it might kick start a winning mentality and a boost to their confidence if they do win it. I don't think we're as bad as were playing at the minute. I think we're suffering in confidence rather than ability, were not going to be winning Leinsters but I think we can raise it a level to pre 2014 competivness giving the bigger teams a rattle at least with the squad we have.

A good run in this we could give someone a good rattle in the quarter final of AI

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

According to the Offaly Master Fixtures schedule, the Laois game is on the Saturday, while the Westmeath, Antrim and Kerry games are on the Sunday. I can't find news of any Jimmy Cooney or Joe Connolly or Joe McDonagh or Joe anybody cup fixtures online though.
bracknaghboy wrote:McDonald Cup 2019 Fixtures

Kerry v Offaly in Tralee

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:According to the Offaly Master Fixtures schedule, the Laois game is on the Saturday, while the Westmeath, Antrim and Kerry games are on the Sunday. I can't find news of any Jimmy Cooney or Joe Connolly or Joe McDonagh or Joe anybody cup fixtures online though.
bracknaghboy wrote:McDonald Cup 2019 Fixtures

Kerry v Offaly in Tralee

Id be amazed if those fixtures were set in stone at this juncture. More than likely the creator of the master fixtures list put them in on those days to indicate what weekend they are on.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

I see that Damien Fox has left the backroom team.
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The standard "work commitments" line has been given.