Joe McDonagh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Joe McDonagh cup

Post by LooseCannon »

Apologies if this is typed out already.
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly played tipp in challange. Don't have score line. But Tipp won easily is what I have heard.
Any word on how things are going?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Playing laois this weekend. Be interesting to see what kind of crowd turns up. 10 euro entry fee I think which is good value. Any word on a team?

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

private joker wrote:Playing laois this weekend. Be interesting to see what kind of crowd turns up. 10 euro entry fee I think which is good value. Any word on a team?
Ah now. We can’t be having that. Seriously though if it’s leaked, keep it privately in PMs. It shows a serious lack of respect on the behalf of those who leak teams.
Good Luck

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Yeah I heard Tipp won comfortably as expected.
We have 2 starters who will be injured this weekend but other than that relatively injury free.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Regardless of who wins The McDonagh Cup the important stuff is happening in the Leinster championship. It's in Carlows hands now. If, if, if, if and it's a ridiculously big IF they can defeat one of the teams the GAA are determined to protect then that will throw the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons. How would the powers that be react to having 2 undesirable teams in Leinster in 2020? Would there be an immediate call for restructure? Expand it to 6 teams? Surely it would be detrimental to Dublin or Wexford to go down, oh surely that couldn't be let happen!
The Munster shower having protected themselves from relegation (Lord knows they are above that kind of thing down there) are about to make their next move soon. What move is that? Well the next push will be to have 4 of 5 Munster teams advance from their championship and Leinster reduced to 2 advancing.
We couldn't possibly relegate powerhouse counties like Waterford with their zero All Irelands in the last 50 years, Dublin with their impressive haul of zero from 50 years and the mighty Limerick with their 1 in the last 50 years as well! Shur we couldn't relegate Wexford I mean how could we? What with their huge haul 1 one win the last 50 years.

As for Saturday night, it's massive for Offaly. Win and it is full steam ahead, defeat and who knows where the year will end. It's genuinely hard to call but should be a good contest so hopefully the real supporters will come out.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Bracknagh boy you are so happy this weather

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

greenairfield wrote:Bracknagh boy you are so happy this weather
He is right about the nature of the hurling championship though.
Let’s face it. In last year’s relegation decider, if Offaly were at home instead of Dublin, if Offaly had the two week break instead of Dublin, if Dublin had played 3 games in the previous 3 weeks instead of Offaly, it was quite conceivable that Offaly could have sent Dublin down the trapdoor.

Had that happened there would have been a restructure of the Leinster championship. That’s not a swipe of Dublin as they’ve done good work to establish themselves. It’s the reality of a hierarchical GAA.
For starters, there wouldn’t have been a slew of hurling moralisers lecturing Dublin that they were delusional, self-entitled, living in the past and deserving of everything they got. Offaly were instructed go and lick up their own vomit, whereas Dublin would have been treated more sympathetically.

But alas, we are where we are, as Brian Cowen was known to say back in 2008.
Joe McDonagh was the man who handed Hubert Rigney our last McCarthy Cup in 1998 and it would be a nice circle turn if Offaly winning his cup was seen as a start of a revival.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

A few (very) brief thoughts on Offaly v Laois

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

With no form to go on (other than the recent league, whatever that’s worth), there’s no knowing what might happen here.

Injuries aside, Offaly’s optimum six forwards would be Shane Dooley, Joseph Bergin, Oisín Kelly, Kevin Connolly, Conor Mahon and Colin Egan (not in that order, of course, there’s a mix of finishers and ball winners in there). Most of those featured only sporadically in the league, some didn’t play at all, so that’s league form banished.

You’d imagine Declan Fanning’s coaching will have Offaly’s hurling much quicker than hitherto.

With a manager influenced by Brian Cody, Laois will more than likely hurl in an orthodox formation. Which mightn’t suit them as they like to run with the ball, but will suit Offaly.

The 7pm throw in time should see a decent crowd. It’s €10 for adults, €5 for OAPs and students, while U16s go free. Only thing is, with no advance ticket sales, there could be a late rush for the ticket booth outside, so o harm to get there a little earlier on this occasion.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

The Leix team is in.
Good Luck

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I will say this - Ross King has more strength of character than I ever could imagine. To go back in hurling with your county after Laois county board completely let Camross off the hook for that vicious assault, and for the manner in which they publicly mocked him afterwards, shows a fair commitment to playing intercounty hurling.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

i didn’t know that Paddy Delaney was playing this year.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

LooseCannon wrote:i didn’t know that Paddy Delaney was playing this year.

According to Twitter, it should be Paddy Rigney, which is what I thought.
Good Luck

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

thats a fairly strong looking forward line if the quality of ball going in is good

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Good game of hurling. Lively stuff. Laois fully deserved the win. Nice way about how they hurled. Offaly tried hard but fell short. Very equal , competitive match.
Large laois crowd. Bigger than the home crowd I'd say. Definitely louder.