Joe McDonagh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
first_touch
All Star

Re: Joe McDonagh cup

Post by first_touch »

suckindiesel wrote:with the scoring difference possibly in play, OY has zero chance of getting to a final, the name of the game for OY is to avoid relegation.

from a LS perspective, I think we will lose to Kerry, we have an awful record down there and I also think Kerry will give ye a trimming.
This coming from the same guy who forecast that
"the score line will be something like meath 2-16 offaly 0-8" in the football. I wouldn't put much weight on your predictions!

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Jayz no need to be like that first touch. Lads just have to go out and prove Suckin Diesel wrong. And in fairness he knows plenty about the issues we have.

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

Win the 2 games and see where they get to is the name of game at this stage and I don't give a toss as long as we stay up.

Regroup after the 2 games, Joachim will head off into the sunset. Probably a couple of retirements with the promise of Div 2 league ahead. It's up to the clubs and the powers to be to row in with a plan for the long haul and ensure that this mess doesn't get any worse.

So good luck to the lads against Antrim

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Apparently the game is on GAA Now live on Saturday.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I know 3pm on a Saturday doesn't suit everyone (a working day for many), but if the passion and emotion in Joachim's voice in last weekend's radio interview is anything to go by, we can expect Offaly to die with their boots on come Saturday. I think they'll be worth the spin over.

A reminder that admission again is €10 for adults, €5 for students and OAPs, while U16s go free. And with the remaining game away in Tralee, it will be the last chance to see our county team on home soil for some time.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I know 3pm on a Saturday doesn't suit everyone (a working day for many), but if the passion and emotion in Joachim's voice in last weekend's radio interview is anything to go by, we can expect Offaly to die with their boots on come Saturday. I think they'll be worth the spin over.

A reminder that admission again is €10 for adults, €5 for students and OAPs, while U16s go free. And with the remaining game away in Tralee, it will be the last chance to see our county team on home soil for some time.
Hear hear!
Everyone has had an opinion on the hurlers current situation so ask yourself what can you do to help things. For most of us all we can do is turn up and support them and personally I rearranged a few things to free myself up to go to this. Hopefully those who have been most vocal about this, that and the other being required to resurrect Offaly hurling can get to OCP on Saturday and do something positive. It'll be mad...... the sideline will be like the proverbial bag of frogs with Joachim and Paddy Kirwan on the prowl up and down the line. The 4th official could have a busy afternoon keeping tabs on the two boys!!!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

13 from Senior A clubs, by my count, with Shane & Joseph the odd ones out.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

1) Shows the hard word that goes into OCP (voluntarily I think bar assistance from Tom Moloney)
2) It is a positive GAA news story
3) The issue of the drought and the impact
4) How often the pitch is used?
5)It's a positive news story
6) Kevin Egan trying to earn a crust?

7) And finally, whats the point in your comment Green airfield?

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

And yes hard work goes into other pitches including Birr, but nice little story.

Loneshark, could we have an interview with Christy on the Faithful fields and what type of fertilizer is used and is 10:10:20 still on the go?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I am very aware there is voluntary work which goes on in OCP but as you said it's not all voluntary which is quiet a big difference towards other fields around the county.

Personally I found the timing of the article quiet interesting but maybe that's just me.

Joachim and the management did look for the game to be played in Birr(there wasnt a mention of that anywhere)

Maybe next weeks article might be on St.Brendans park which is a fine stadium and everything which is done is ALL voluntary.

GAHMAD
County player

Post by GAHMAD »

And I suggest you do one on “chips” , the shoulder variety?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

GAHMAD wrote:1) Shows the hard word that goes into OCP (voluntarily I think bar assistance from Tom Moloney)
2) It is a positive GAA news story
3) The issue of the drought and the impact
4) How often the pitch is used?
5)It's a positive news story
6) Kevin Egan trying to earn a crust?

7) And finally, whats the point in your comment Green airfield?
This is pretty much it. I was asked by GAA.ie to do one piece on each county participating in the Joe McD, designed to double up as preview pieces on the week of big games. I've already done features with Antrim, Kerry and Westmeath players, but for obvious reasons when I asked Joachim about talking to a player he asked me not to, and I respected that - so I had to come up with a different angle. And being an Offaly man, I wanted to put up something positive.

The venue is very busy, far more than most, I've never been anything other than fascinated when I talk to Jim about the level of science and detail involved in what he does, and the pitch is excellent, incredibly so given the traffic and the fact that a lot of counties outsource the job to external companies, for a large fee. Add in the changing climate, and I thought it was something people would like to read about. The reaction so far would suggest it is.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:Joachim and the management did look for the game to be played in Birr(there wasnt a mention of that anywhere)
There's one simple reason why there was no mention of that - I see no reference to that anywhere, the county board has said there was no such request received, and as there's no source, it can't be written. Given events on another thread last weekend, I'd like to think we'll all learn something about putting up stuff that is unsubstantiated rumour (at best).
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.