Joe McDonagh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: Joe McDonagh cup

Post by Killeighman »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Fairplayalways wrote:getting in and out of Tullamore town is not the issue, its having to park in the housing estates off the main road, clogging them up on the local residents, queing for almost half an hour then to get back out on the main road, and then crawl the whole way to the outskirts of the town...no thanks...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is priceless stuff.
I assume you've never been to an away match in your life so?
There’s not even space for a bus to be parked in birr never mind a few cars

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

County Arms hotel - Tesco - Rugby Club
-two public car parks a short walk from the pitch....it must be some bus your driving.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

ah not too many in recent times there was no incentive...used to love the matches in Birr, county final, National league games etc. we always didn't win but by God we were competitive..kids mainly used to kick off about the "getting out of Tullamore" after the match...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Lone Shark wrote:I can't, for the simple reason that the instruction from my editor was to either get all three, or leave it - and you can see why, because to give airtime to one and not to others would be seen as bias. When the other two declined, that was the end of the idea.
Not really fair on the fellah that did want to partake though then either, also assuming your newspaper or article is totally independent of the GAA(which I have no doubt it is) its a bit confusing not interviewing 1 of the candidates just because the other two opted out, that is their choice and rightly so, but very unfair on the third (regardless if the third is current chairman or not!)..reminds me a bit of RTE and some of our broadcasters when a difficult topic is in the news and the opposition come on to talk about the matter in hand, a Govenrment spokes person is "unavailable" so the presenter states "in the absence of anyone here from the Government side, we (presenter) will put their (governments side) of the argument - obviously being told by the show producer). This is totally unfair, if the Government side don't opt to put on a spokesperson, then tough, they were asked and refused, the station shouldn't be defending the Government side in their absence..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I've been to both birr and tullamore. Parking is not an issue for either. Waiting an half hour to get out of traffic!!?? Triple that to get out of pairc ui caomh or thurlus.
The simple reason for lack of success in the county is that the work is not been done at club level. End of.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

that and other issues too...just saying I know a lot of people just wont go to Tullamore to a match, I suppose it adds in the issue too of when we are not winning people wont travel, its a double edged sword in ways...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This.

I wasn't goingt to post anything about Saturday because it's still massively disappointing. But I want to draw attention to PJ's point. For as long as the work is not done at grassroots, Offaly will continue to produce teams who:-
- are deficient in basic fitness (I mean the areas such as saq);
- are unable to control a game;
- are unable to win a puckout;
- are unable to go short with a puckout and work the ball through the lines (because they can't win it in the air);
- are unable to deal with a team with a extra defender;
- are unable to string two passes together;
- are unable to make a run to collect a pass;
- are unable to tackle correctly;
- are unable to with their body (there is more to tackling than hooking and blocking, you know);
- are unable to hurl as a team;
- are unable to think their way around the field.
(the list is not exhaustive.)

And for as long as Offaly are deficient in each of the above skillsets, and others, they will continue to field teams who are absolutely harmless when faced by competent opposition and will continue be overtaken by counties previously ranked below them. There are no quick fix solutions. And the world is not going to revert back to 1980 or 1990 to suit Offaly. Hurling is constantly changing, and will continue to do so.
private joker wrote:I've been to both birr and tullamore. Parking is not an issue for either. Waiting an half hour to get out of traffic!!?? Triple that to get out of pairc ui caomh or thurlus.
The simple reason for lack of success in the county is that the work is not been done at club level. End of.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3vGBw8QTxM

from the time 20.20 on the youtube piece, a rather enlightening discussion. fair play to brian carroll for a frank and honest verdict on the episode.

Anyway, Offaly is now a tier 3 team in league and championship 2020. With the under 20s clocking up two wins, there is at least light at the end of the tunnel and the job of manager of the senior team will now be attractive to some young smart ambitious types.

If you commence 2020 with a three year objective of winning the McDonagh in 2022, then a realistic goal can be reached with the right planning in place. You have the platform to rebuild a new squad and start winning games again and build confidence albeit at a lower standard of hurling.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

Outside of atmosphere, the main problem with O' Connor Park is that Offaly haven't been fit enough to hurl there since around about Mike Macs time in charge.
If you think that the solution to not being fit enough is to move games to Birr, then Christy Ring might be the bottom of the slide after all.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

private joker wrote:The simple reason for lack of success in the county is that the work is not been done at club level. End of.
Aye, that's the obvious and most likely cause, but people in Offaly would rather hear about quick fixes that require little or no work.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

suckindiesel wrote:

... and the job of manager of the senior team will now be attractive to some young smart ambitious types.
Bullseye
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

While far from being a cheerleader for the county board and Tommy Byrne, if people are calling for wholesale changes at board level due to the hurling results, does an honourable run in the football qualifiers warrant widespread praise. Or does John Maughan take the plaudits for that. Being involved with my own club i can tell you theres numerous challenges ahead. The excuses offered up now for not training are bordering on criminal to a traditionalist. For both codes. And as i said in a previous post, the day of a dual player even at club level is creeping to a close. This has a huge effect to our small divided county. Ive personally put time and effort into coaching youngsters and helping management/coaches and trying to improve them in both codes at different times. Some of the better lads have already been lost to soccer and rugby. When the weaker lads see the stronger lads leaving they in turn are hard motivated.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

greenairfield wrote:A shift me hole one U20 team that has more North Offaly fellas isnt a shift.

Look at the senior championship 7 of the clubs are from the south and next year there will probably be 8 again.

Yes we need hurlers from all over the county but realistically you need south Offaly clubs doing well to stand a chance.
If the traditional hurling clubs are not producing quality players, then the question is really what are they doing in these clubs.

There is still this arrogance and I have seen it first hand at games, that the south are hurlers and the like of Tullamore, Belmont, Shamrocks etc are " only footballers".

Well even going back into the early 2000's and onwards, why were the "footballers" that were only picking up the hurls the week of a championship game competitive with these hurling strongholds. There should not of been a contest in these games. Roll on to now and the likes the clubs in the north have been stronger at underrage. It has gradually reached this. Belmont are a great example of a club who obviously have done a massive amount of good work and deserve credit.

I really am sick to the teeth of hearing about the south this that and the other. Play the games in Birr etc and all this contant BS. It's time each club in the whole county (because that is what we represent) need to get the finger out and start doing good work. We are the one county fella's.

There is other issues as outlined about the chairman etc. And yes I think the whole Liam Hogan thing was unforgiveable and people need to hold themselves accountable.

Lads if Offaly cant win a game in OCP, and the venue is seen as the problem, then anybody who holds this view really needs to find another sport and move on. There appears to be a lot of venues Offaly teams cant perform in.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Birr dont even train for football and have reached junior finals and semi finals and almost went senior about 7 years ago what's your point??

North Offaly people are just as arrogant when it comes to south clubs playing football.

We need everyone doing well but if the so called traditional clubs are not doing well ye north men are having a laugh if you think hurling will turn around cos one or two clubs the far side of tullamore have improved!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Far easier to go from hurling to football than football to hurling.
It's stating the obvious, you need all clubs feeding into the county system in both codes as much as possible. If your going to give up half the county to one code or the other your at nothing. Offaly is at a low ebb. The u20s are going well but the real test will be vs Dublin who in my view are 10 points better. The big thing is,Dublin will go into this match cold. They are also not going well by all accounts in challenges. All be it against very good opposition. interesting game in store to see how it goes.