NHL Division 1B 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by pigeon house biffo »

DaniaBuckingham wrote:Carlow are a Leinster area and in this way have each legitimate to play in the Leinster Senior heaving title, regardless of what Galway, or Munster flinging big talkers, safeguard. I don't consider any individual calling for Waterford to be prohibited from flinging's high level after 2008's All-ireland extreme, nor should there have.
To be fair, theres a difference in shipping a beating in an all ireland final and consistently getting caned heavily as is the case in offaly. whilst i understand the immense pride in our county, you'd have to ask yourself, would you rather compete and prove yourself at level b or continue to not come within 6+ points of teams with legitimate credentials. We've had a few token performances certainly, but as good as it was last years league victory was heavily asterisked by dublin missing there cuala contingent as well as experimenting under new management. maybe a brief stint away from the bright lights can allow for offaly to recalibrate and regain some confidence?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Relegation final: it's all down to attitude

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I suppose Division 2 survival was always going to come down to the relegation playoff anyway. And here we are.

Still, it could be worse, and the win last week in Carlow had brought with it a modicum of optimism. Better to be facing Carlow like this, rather than having lost a battle on a filthy day last Sunday.

Fair to assume Shane Dooley will start on Sunday. Goals will again be required, whether fortunate goals, opportunist goals, tap ins or belters from the 21. And Offaly’s attitude will need to be absolutely spot on if they are to win this.

The one thing that can be assumed is that Carlow’s attitude will be much more focussed than it was last Sunday. Reports of Carlow supporters discussing their preferred quarter-final opponents gave an indication that the Liam MacCarthy ranked county might have looked beyond the immediate task. Carlow feel they didn’t perform, that they were beaten up on what was a day for the trenches. Not like Carlow to finish the game with 15.

But now, Carlow have an immediate rematch. And will take the approach that they are the team that underperformed and now they have the chance of redemption. Relegation playoffs are a place for making statements, for getting the job done and for getting out alive. Sunday will not be a place for swashbuckling hurling. Rather a day for the trenches. Offaly need their own attitude to be just right. If it is, the Joe McDonagh county may upset the team who drew with Galway.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Offaly Team v Carlow
Sunday 10th March 2pm
1-Eoghan Cahill
2-Paddy Rigney
3-Niall Houlihan
4-Ben Conneely
5-Damien Egan
6-Pat Camon
7-Aidan Treacy
8-Shane Kinsella
9-Colm Gath
10-Kevin Dunne
11-Sean Dolan
12-Colin Egan
13-Conor Langton
14-Joe Bergin
15-Kevin Connolly
Good Luck

old yellar
All Star

Re: Relegation final: it's all down to attitude

Post by old yellar »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I suppose Division 2 survival was always going to come down to the relegation playoff anyway. And here we are.

Still, it could be worse, and the win last week in Carlow had brought with it a modicum of optimism. Better to be facing Carlow like this, rather than having lost a battle on a filthy day last Sunday.

Fair to assume Shane Dooley will start on Sunday. Goals will again be required, whether fortunate goals, opportunist goals, tap ins or belters from the 21. And Offaly’s attitude will need to be absolutely spot on if they are to win this.

The one thing that can be assumed is that Carlow’s attitude will be much more focussed than it was last Sunday. Reports of Carlow supporters discussing their preferred quarter-final opponents gave an indication that the Liam MacCarthy ranked county might have looked beyond the immediate task. Carlow feel they didn’t perform, that they were beaten up on what was a day for the trenches. Not like Carlow to finish the game with 15.

But now, Carlow have an immediate rematch. And will take the approach that they are the team that underperformed and now they have the chance of redemption. Relegation playoffs are a place for making statements, for getting the job done and for getting out alive. Sunday will not be a place for swashbuckling hurling. Rather a day for the trenches. Offaly need their own attitude to be just right. If it is, the Joe McDonagh county may upset the team who drew with Galway.
I can assure you that any real carlow hurling supporter with an ounce of knowledge knew last Sunday was going to be a massive battle and weren't talking up a victory whatsoever. As for the 15 on the field, I don't think we could be classed a tough team. Most of the sending off were for 2 yellows this year which happens in both codes. It certainly hinders our progress. I think to class us as dirty would be v wrong, some stupid tackling I d say more like. We can all point to stats that don't paint teams in a good light, but seeing what happens in the game is different. Best of luck to all tomorrow.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

COME ON OFFALY!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Reports of Carlow supporters discussing their preferred quarter-final opponents gave an indication that the Liam MacCarthy ranked county might have looked beyond the immediate task.
Do you mind me asking where these reports came from? Are we talking about a couple of lads sitting in the stand saying “if we got to the quarter finals, who would you like to get”? If so, it’s hardly an insight into the mindset of the team and any indicator that they were not focused on winning last weekend.

Good luck toOffaly. Would be great to get the win.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Lights out, shocking to lose to a team that had 14 men from 6 th min.

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

Final nail in the coffin

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Playing Wicklow next year, cant say it hasnt been coming, was only a matter of when.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Damian Martin made his debut vs Wicklow..... back to where it all began.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Had Carlow many personnel changes from last week ??

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

In the Roscommon Herald recently, in the archives section it posted in the 20 years ago section Roscommon hurlers beat Carlow 4-13 to 1-6 in Athleague in Division 2.
There are no quick fixes. It'll take time, patience, vision and dedication to claw a way back to competing at the highest levels.
Twenty years of Carlow going from being beaten by Ros to relegating Offaly today. The rise for Carlow has been sharp the past few years, the decline for Offaly a similar graph, just turned the other way. Today they intersected.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I don’t really buy into a Carlow rising, today they beat a team that have been in decline for the past 10 years + each year praying that beating Laois would mean survival for another year with no vision of improving the set up. 2019 the luck ran out!! Look at Laois last night a shambles, Carlow will be mixing it week after week with the big boys this year I wish them well but I think they will be found wanting at this level. The old saying it has to get worse before it gets better comes to mind for Offaly. The McDonagh cup has just got a whole lot harder with moral surely on the floor after today. We need to take are medicine, embrace where we are and get on with it. The one thing I can say following Offaly for 30 years plus is that we were never really a league team was ‘91 our only division 1 title? 7-8 weeks to the Cup matches get the heads together somehow and go again.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

firstly Congrats to Carlow.. Well done to them, Managment, Backroom team and Players.
there a county that are trying to get the best out of the players they have.
This is something we should trying to do in Offaly.

For Offaly Today wasn't the Nail in the coffin it was the fucking Funeral.
The Nail in the coffin was Kevin Ryan appointment a few years ago but Ryan and Kelly finished us off.
It's wasn't the Cancer that has infected Offaly hurling from the last 20 or so years.
At some stage in around 2000 Cork won a few all ireland playing a running game. (that suited there players). but someone in Offaly thought that this was the future of hurling or Modern Hurling. that person was appointed to develop Offaly hurling.
We them procced to run trainng course that we're basic completely around "Modern Hurling"
There is Two Major issues with this.
Firstly. There no such thing as modren hurling. There is a thing call picking a tatics to get the best out of your players. We got in a rut of sticking to a tatics before assessing out players.
Secondly. This Idea destory players that don't fit in the box required to this style of hurling. Offaly over the last 20 years have so many hurlers that had just got sick of been forced to try to playing a game that didn't improve them and distoryed their confidence. This wasn't the senior this was the underage set up.
And this feed into the problems as Players with potential we're distoryed before they started.

The next thing that Killed us was Clare winning an All ireland with a sweeper. The same people then went OOOO this is now Modern hurling.
And what followed was the last 4 years of Offaly underage team playing with a sweeper.

They stopped Anyone who said that this was shit. Using the old Nazi tricks of tell everyone that they the enemy. "the line We all need to be sing off the same sheet" has been throw around to stop people putting froward differnt ideas. or downgrading they idea as "sure what would they know".

If you don't believe me. The evidence is in how the "Offaly Hurling Player Pathway" was dicredited after Dermot Healy Lay out simple training plans to improve some of our skills. That plan was a fecking mile away from the shit we were doing at that time and the shit we're doing now.
Healy Left after the county board and Development Officer delay the plan untill Healy left and even that was keep from the Offaly hurling public for almost a year, The Development Officer went and got someone who would back up there ideas Liam Hogan. Hogan is an excellent coach but coach each team to the "modern Hurling " plan and the Development and Coach Officers didn't have to change anything at all.

Today is only one step in the decline. It Will Continue.
It doesn't matter how much money, time and effort the gaa or coaches put into the game in Offaly. Sorry but that the true at the moment.
We have one chance to improve things and that mean making a chance to the single mind tunnel vision of a development game plan we have been enforcing on our young players over they last 20 years.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

kingscounty wrote:I don’t really buy into a Carlow rising, today they beat a team that have been in decline for the past 10 years + each year praying that beating Laois would mean survival for another year with no vision of improving the set up. 2019 the luck ran out!! Look at Laois last night a shambles, Carlow will be mixing it week after week with the big boys this year I wish them well but I think they will be found wanting at this level. The old saying it has to get worse before it gets better comes to mind for Offaly. The McDonagh cup has just got a whole lot harder with moral surely on the floor after today. We need to take are medicine, embrace where we are and get on with it. The one thing I can say following Offaly for 30 years plus is that we were never really a league team was ‘91 our only division 1 title? 7-8 weeks to the Cup matches get the heads together somehow and go again.
They bet Offaly when it mattered and drew with Galway. Yeah they will find it hard in the top tier, how many hurling clubs in the county? They are organised, hard working and have a definite plan. More importantly they don't feel like they are owed somthing from the right rest of the hurling world. Long term plan which has been bought into by the club's, county board and everyone who has Carlow hurling best interests at the heart of every thing that do say and do. No arrogance with Carlow or their followers.