NHL Division 1B 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by bracknaghboy »

LooseCannon wrote:Was sent on something by a mate of mine who follows Martin Bennett on Facebook or Instagram or the likes. He showed a video of the vast difference in warm ups in terms of intensity. Unfortunately, I didn’t attend but am interested to see people’s thoughts on this.
I’m not suggesting anything, just wondering if it bears any truth.
The contrast between the Offaly and Dublin warmups last June before the relegation battle was jaw dropping. Dublin picked up the intensity 7 or 8 minutes before throw in and were going 100mph. Offaly were disorganised and partaking in a light puckaround. Oddly enough our lads started fairly well that day but thats not the point. Made me wonder what the Offaly management were at. I'm still wondering.
The Carlow draw with Galway is a good thing. Oddly the pressure is all on them now. Laois are no great shakes and if they could be beaten Saturday week then the pressure is on Carlow to win on the last day in what would be a shootout for a 1/4 spot. However, they have forwards in particular that are a step above what we have in Offaly so it's theirs to loose.
Man up, fight your own battles as hard as you can and leave it all on the pitch, that's all we can ask of any man in the jersey this year. Not much can be done about lads (or entire clubs) that can't be bothered.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

(Don't forget - for the Saturday fixture, ye have until closing time tomorrow (Friday) night to buy your tickets at the reduced price. Tickets purchased on Saturday, even in a Centra or Super Valu, cost the full €20)

A few things: -

I’d prefer if management didn’t reel off the names of hurlers who weren’t on the field when doing media interviews. Doing so only sends a message to the lads who do line out that they are second class and will be replaced once the leaders return. Rather, these lads should be given the message that they are in possession of the jersey and it is up to others to take it from them.

If any of the more senior players are to return, don’t go pickling them in the announced team. Rather, give them no 17 or 26 or something, and let Leix figure it out for themselves. Leix will have the 26 for the programme anyway.

Having a plan would help. Not letting Leix dictate the game and doing what they like would be a start. Try to get on the ball and run at them. Remember Offaly outscored them for the period of time it was 15 v 13 at the same venue on a fine night two years ago. Because Offaly ran at them. Test their discipline.

Freetaking – Kevin Connolly is one of my favourite hurlers but his freetaking strike rate isn’t good enough, and longer term will affect his general play. Maybe let David Nally or Paddy Murphy take the frees. And select the six forwards with a freetaker in mind.

Some Leix fella on the Gaaboard went and listed the recent meetings of Leix and Offaly, and conveniently omitted the 2016 championship meeting in Tullamore. The one Offaly won rather well.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:(Don't forget - for the Saturday fixture, ye have until closing time tomorrow (Friday) night to buy your tickets at the reduced price. Tickets purchased on Saturday, even in a Centra or Super Valu, cost the full €20)

I’d prefer if management didn’t reel off the names of hurlers who weren’t on the field when doing media interviews. Doing so only sends a message to the lads who do line out that they are second class and will be replaced once the leaders return. Rather, these lads should be given the message that they are in possession of the jersey and it is up to others to take it from them.

If any of the more senior players are to return, don’t go pickling them in the announced team. Rather, give them no 17 or 26 or something, and let Leix figure it out for themselves. Leix will have the 26 for the programme anyway.

Having a plan would help. Not letting Leix dictate the game and doing what they like would be a start. Try to get on the ball and run at them. Remember Offaly outscored them for the period of time it was 15 v 13 at the same venue on a fine night two years ago. Because Offaly ran at them. Test their discipline.

Freetaking – Kevin Connolly is one of my favourite hurlers but his freetaking strike rate isn’t good enough, and longer term will affect his general play. Maybe let David Nally or Paddy Murphy take the frees. And select the six forwards with a freetaker in mind.

Some Leix fella on the Gaaboard went and listed the recent meetings of Leix and Offaly, and conveniently omitted the 2016 championship meeting in Tullamore. The one Offaly won rather well.
Selective amnesia maybe?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

They’re fierce excited about this one over in Laois. The Laoistoday site has even dragged a report recalling their 2004 NHL win over Offaly in Birr – they are still basking in the glow of relegating Offaly that day.

Come to think of it, the prospect of beating Offaly is really all that motivates Laois hurling. They all retired after beating Offaly in the championship in 2015. Job done, targets achieved, back to club hurling. Full value for their win that day, no complaints, but it would have been nice to see them drive on afterwards. But, two weeks after that breakthrough win, they caved in against Galway, playing with a five man full-back line.

Saturday is their All-Ireland. That, and May’s championship meeting.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:They’re fierce excited about this one over in Laois. The Laoistoday site has even dragged a report recalling their 2004 NHL win over Offaly in Birr – they are still basking in the glow of relegating Offaly that day.

Come to think of it, the prospect of beating Offaly is really all that motivates Laois hurling. They all retired after beating Offaly in the championship in 2015. Job done, targets achieved, back to club hurling. Full value for their win that day, no complaints, but it would have been nice to see them drive on afterwards. But, two weeks after that breakthrough win, they caved in against Galway, playing with a five man full-back line.

Big night for Laois men. I can imagine an excited Jack Nolan getting all worked up tomorrow night.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for that perspective POTH!

Hoping we meet fire with more fire in that case.

Good luck to the players and all involved.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Kevin wrote:Thanks for that perspective POTH!

Hoping we meet fire with more fire in that case.

Good luck to the players and all involved.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!
A good shemozzle early on to get us fired up.
Be ruthless.
Good Luck

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Team for tomorrow’s game.
Good Luck

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:

Word up.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

LooseCannon wrote:Team for tomorrow’s game.
I can’t see Colin Egan and Paddy Murphy line up at full forward and corner forward respectively. I’d expect to see them out around the half forward line. Aidan Treacy at wing forward is baffling me. I know he’s a target on puckouts but he lacks a lot of mobility. I’d expect a change or two before throw in. Come on the faithful!

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

"They’re fierce excited about this one over in Laois. The Laoistoday site has even dragged a report recalling their 2004 NHL win over Offaly in Birr – they are still basking in the glow of relegating Offaly that day".

way over the top POTH....for what it is worth, this is easily the poorest squad Laois have had since the forgettable Fennelly days which culminated in the 10-20 defeat by Cork. This game is a dead rubber, because the two sides will meet again next month in the relegation play-off and that will be the game to win.

if you want the real truth, the strength in both Offaly and Laois club hurling is in the over 30s category, the backbone of Coolderry and even KK fell into the bracket. There are simply no top class players in either county aged 20-25, that is a fact and one that for some, hard to acknowledge. The pick of amalgamating Laois and Offaly together would not serve up a game at championship level to any of the big 5 in munster.

if you want a prediction, which will hurt, but may materialise.....in the joe mcdonagh, Laois and Offaly could finish bottom of the group....in my view Westmeath with the full compliment are now superior to Offaly and a long way ahead of Laois.....Kerry are no mugs and could easily topple both...and Antrim with the Cushendall lads back could be very dangerous. I don't see Laois winning any game in the McDonagh, which will result in relegation plus our senior club winners not allowed to compete in the Leinster Senior Club championship(Intermediate instead).

so...POTH....absolutely not excited about tonight...expect 5 star shi-ite to be on offer...a case of bad beating worst.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Feck sake, ye were the ones with the productive underage structures during the last decade. What happened?
suckindiesel wrote:There are simply no top class players in either county aged 20-25, that is a fact and one that for some, hard to acknowledge.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I generally like your posts POTH, but found this one disrespectful towards Laois. No need for it.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:They’re fierce excited about this one over in Laois.

As someone else said, we are in our shite excited about this. Unfortunately, nothing about Laois hurlers excites at the moment.

Chances are we'll meet Offaly again at least twice more this year and those might be somewhat more worth getting "excited" about.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

suckindiesel wrote:"They’re fierce excited about this one over in Laois. The Laoistoday site has even dragged a report recalling their 2004 NHL win over Offaly in Birr – they are still basking in the glow of relegating Offaly that day".

way over the top POTH....for what it is worth, this is easily the poorest squad Laois have had since the forgettable Fennelly days which culminated in the 10-20 defeat by Cork. This game is a dead rubber, because the two sides will meet again next month in the relegation play-off and that will be the game to win.

if you want the real truth, the strength in both Offaly and Laois club hurling is in the over 30s category, the backbone of Coolderry and even KK fell into the bracket. There are simply no top class players in either county aged 20-25, that is a fact and one that for some, hard to acknowledge. The pick of amalgamating Laois and Offaly together would not serve up a game at championship level to any of the big 5 in munster.

if you want a prediction, which will hurt, but may materialise.....in the joe mcdonagh, Laois and Offaly could finish bottom of the group....in my view Westmeath with the full compliment are now superior to Offaly and a long way ahead of Laois.....Kerry are no mugs and could easily topple both...and Antrim with the Cushendall lads back could be very dangerous. I don't see Laois winning any game in the McDonagh, which will result in relegation plus our senior club winners not allowed to compete in the Leinster Senior Club championship(Intermediate instead).

so...POTH....absolutely not excited about tonight...expect 5 star shi-ite to be on offer...a case of bad beating worst.
Couldn’t argue with that. Looking at both starting 15s doesn’t look like much quality on show.