NHL Division 1B 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by Killeighman »

I couldn’t get to the game yesterday but did have a listen in on the wireless. Seemed to me in the first half went more direct probably because they did have a strong wind in their favour but in the second half did they change it up and try a running game with short passing? The impression I got from Joe Troy on the radio was they tried going with the short passing through the lines. I’m asking on this because I’m looking for a definitive answer. If so Offaly just don’t have the calibre of player to execute the system successfully. You need to be sharp with your first touch which Offaly are not as I’ve seen in every game this year. You need to be quick in the strike which they are not as seen by a record amount of hooks and blocks on Offaly players this year. Who is to blame here in the short term here then? Management for not having players sharp enough? I know how much commitment those players give and they enter the field at 7 o’clock and don’t leave until 9:30pm nearly 4 times a week. There is no shortage of effort on their part. We know the county board have not given the backing to certain plans in the past but now is the time they have to put their should to the wheel to try get a return. No doubt you are an extremely proud person this morning Old Yellar and rightly so. Hats off to Carlow for the effort put in over the years and it’s paid dividends but Offaly should not have lost that game from being 11 points up and having an extra man on the field for 60 minutes.

I know I waffled on a bit but only as a devastated Offaly fan I can’t help but get those opinions out. Anyway going back to my original question at the top I’d be greatful if a poster could tell me how Offaly set up in each half. Thanks in advance

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Just an observation , it’s amazing the amount of comments when we are bet myself included, we are quick to criticize and congratulate Carlow rightly so but when we beat Carlow last week there wasn’t too many messages praising the lads for winning.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Had the weather been good last week and the pitch not been tore up Carlow would definitely have won that game but it was bad weather and the pitch was tore up and the goalkeeper let in two howlers as a result and Carlow missed two penalties but hey it is what it is

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

The blame game -
Yes we all knew this day was coming for years and I can now safely say we are competing at the level we deserve to be competing at.
The correct plan and work must now be put in place...if there is a plan there it must be examined to make sure in 10 years time we are competing at a high level if it isn't done the county board should be held accountable.
Kevin Martin doesn't have the best players in with him blame must go with him and his management team for his reason..
if you are over a team and you can't get the best players in with you look at the mirror first before blaming players.
Work must be down I don't know who is the person to take the reigns and get us back but someone may do it!

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

greenairfield wrote:The blame game -
Yes we all knew this day was coming for years and I can now safely say we are competing at the level we deserve to be competing at.
The correct plan and work must now be put in place...if there is a plan there it must be examined to make sure in 10 years time we are competing at a high level if it isn't done the county board should be held accountable.
Kevin Martin doesn't have the best players in with him blame must go with him and his management team for his reason..
if you are over a team and you can't get the best players in with you look at the mirror first before blaming players.
Work must be down I don't know who is the person to take the reigns and get us back but someone may do it!
How many years now are we saying after a bad result... “a plan needs to be implemented NOW...”

It’s going on far too long now and the CB are sitting back with the same stubborn incompetent dinosaurs at the wheel. Clubs must take blame for not offering better delegates. Why isn’t an EGM being called? Is there an appetite to change things? Think we all need to look at ourselves!

In 2000 when Kilkenny minors didn’t make a Leinster final after we beat them, they had a sort of EGM and got all ex-players involved to drive back to the top! Most of our ex-players are too happy mouthing off to the media

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Daithi Regan and Michael Duignan were wearing timber off Donal Óg Cusack on Twitter last night!
Scenes!

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Question for you Old Yellar, has Carlow done much to grow the game in and around Carlow town in recent times? I know there is a hurling club there, but from what I know they are usually weak and struggling to survive. In a county with around 60K population, if Carlow are to have any chance of sustaining their performance levels they need to grow the game in around the clubs and schools in the population centers of Carlow town and Tullow also. In addition to that ensure that the currently strong areas don't take their foot off the gas when it comes to developing players.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Daithi Regan and Michael Duignan were wearing timber off Donal Óg Cusack on Twitter last night!
Scenes!
Sounds interesting!!

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

[quote="llkj"]Question for you Old Yellar, has Carlow done much to grow the game in and around Carlow town in recent times? I know there is a hurling club there, but from what I know they are usually weak and struggling to survive. In a county with around 60K population, if Carlow are to have any chance of sustaining their performance levels they need to grow the game in around the clubs and schools in the population centers of Carlow town and Tullow also. In addition to that ensure that the currently strong areas don't take their foot off the gas when it comes to developing players.[/q

There are 2 clubs in the town, but one only fields to u15 level at the minute, and the other is not able to beat the second teams of some clubs. Pal also would have a junior team - won it this year, but no juvenile section. Good work being done to keep it going but the reality is once football and soccer come calling, hurling goes way down the order of priorities. Our next big town, Bagenalstown dropped down to inter and couldnt win that out. Tullow, next in our big centres of population, field at junior level and are competitive in it. So in a word, we arent getting a lot from these - 1 current senior panelist from these 3 places. V hard work from that!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

while I am not totally up to speed with the schools competitions now a days, I have noticed from following results in Midland tribune etc..Colaiste AAA late rally secures Leinster Final (or Leinster final place even) for Colaiste AAA...only to read on and see that the competition is a B or even a C competition...if we win it then (I don't want to go sounding sarcastic) but the opposition team are generally not from a traditional hurling county or very best not a top 2/3 county in Leinster...these players are then feeding up the chain into our minor/u21 where their limited experience (we will leave ability out of this at this juncture) is laid very very bare against a team from Kilkenny/Wexford whom have players who have won A schools competitions with St. Kierans or Peters etc..the days of Banagher VS or Birr winning the A competition we were getting county material who were learning their trade by playing teams from Johnstown/ Thomastown/Ballyhale/ Kilkenny, Loughrea, Athenry, Moneennaguesha, Borrisokane, Nenagh, Roscrea Buclody/Wexford teams, Mountrath/Rathdowney etc etc...so when these players progressed to minor U21 they had the experience of playing against players who themselves were going on to represent their counties at top level at under age and later senior..I know not every player on all teams referred to above didn't make the grade at minor/u21/senior but the few did kept the whole system replenished...sadly, once we started dropping back to B & C in schools competitions, no disrespect to any team in these competitions, but you are not being exposed to the high quality and standards required....I have been at county finals over the last 20 years in both Birr and Tullamore, and could count on my two hands (I wont say one hand) the amount of players who fell to their knees in disappointment after loosing a county final, many were indifferent and were immediately discussing who was going where and what time later etc...there was no raw emotion like in my day, when you would be going around in rings for week giving out to yourself over some mistake you might have made etc..everything is "not the end of the world" now and appears to be quickly forgotten about, may that is good in some respects, but I think you know what I mean from a match point of view..not sure if relegation was a good or bad thing, I hear the arguments for staying up, but realistically, this time next year, or two years time, I think the same conversation would be taking place i.e. we have to win agains X Sunday to avoid relegation and moral would be on the floor for ever, maybe going down and winning a couple of games, and hopefully the Joe McDonagh, will give the lads something to celebrate, they are coming in to it with no baggage now given its 21 years since we last won the Senior AI...surely they will compete in the JMD cup..it is now as it is..
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Tommy Byrne on RTE tonight. Going to talk to all the stakeholders of Offaly hurling.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

private joker wrote:Tommy Byrne on RTE tonight. Going to talk to all the stakeholders of Offaly hurling.
To late for talking, talking was done few years ago and he wouldn’t take action when he was warned about what was coming,

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

I don't like beating the same drum, but I wasn't the only one who noticed the poor home crowd there yesterday - mentioned by some pundits in papers etc. This is not the players fault, nor the management's, nor the county board etc. Surely when your county needs ye after all the good days, he d come out in force for this game that some class as more important than the relegation to the Joe mcdonagh? Our players got a huge lift off us at key times on Sunday. It's a big thing we 've seemed to have built up over the last few years - a generally positive home support. Ye can talk about lowest ebb for offaly, hurling boards, s and c etc etc but as supporters we have a huge role to play in the mood in the county and the mood of the players.if ye are serious about lifting things, a simple thing to do is go and support your team when it's needed as a county - I know most contributors here are regular attendees so not directed at ye. So getting a big crowd at the Joe mcdonagh games is a must and a start.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

It's such a pity nobody worth there salt would like to be the chairman of the county board other than byrne and co.
He should be ran from the count board some of the blame falls right on his lap...talk to stakeholders all you do is talk Tommy that's the problem.

New faces needed to get rid of the likes of Tommy...clubs need to get people to go forward for these positions.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

old yellar wrote:I don't like beating the same drum, but I wasn't the only one who noticed the poor home crowd there yesterday - mentioned by some pundits in papers etc. This is not the players fault, nor the management's, nor the county board etc. Surely when your county needs ye after all the good days, he d come out in force for this game that some class as more important than the relegation to the Joe mcdonagh? Our players got a huge lift off us at key times on Sunday. It's a big thing we 've seemed to have built up over the last few years - a generally positive home support. Ye can talk about lowest ebb for offaly, hurling boards, s and c etc etc but as supporters we have a huge role to play in the mood in the county and the mood of the players.if ye are serious about lifting things, a simple thing to do is go and support your team when it's needed as a county - I know most contributors here are regular attendees so not directed at ye. So getting a big crowd at the Joe mcdonagh games is a must and a start.
Apparently Yeller believe it or not Offaly have hundreds, no wait thousands, of diehard supports lurking in the shadows mostly in the southern tip of the county.
They are so diehard in fact that they refuse to come support our hurlers because of the 25-30 minute drive to the ground. So whilst Wexford, Limerick and Galway may think they have huge support the reality is Offaly are the best supported team in Ireland it's just that they are the diehard types that don't actually go to the games. Do ya get what I'm saying??

Anyways our woos aside big congrats to Carlow yesterday, lets hope ye knuckle down and actually believe ye take one of the 'big boys' this summer......now that would be a story and a half.....stranger things have happened, there's always hope :wink: