NHL Division 1B 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Post Reply
LooseCannon
All Star
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am
Club: Coppers

NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by LooseCannon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 pm

Waterford in Thurles at 2 on Sunday.
"The greatest one in a row in history."

LooseCannon
All Star
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am
Club: Coppers

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by LooseCannon » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:38 am

1. Eoghan Cahill (Birr)

2. Tom Spain (Brosna Gaels)

3. Niall Houlihan (Tullamore)

4. Paddy Rigney (Kinnitty)

5. Craig Taylor (Birr)

6. Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s) (Capt.)

7. Aidan Treacy (St Rynagh’s)

8. Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels)

9. Kevin Dunne (Seir Kieran)

10. Eoghan Callaghan (Kinnitty)

11. Sean Dolan (St Rynagh’s)

12. Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)

13. Kevin Connolly (Coolderry)

14. Colm Gath (Drumcullen)

15. David Nally (Belmont)
"The greatest one in a row in history."

frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by frankthetank » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Arguably our two best hurlers on the current panel not listed to start (Oisin Kelly and Ben Conneely).

And 5 starters form Intermediate clubs (Senior B, if you're easily offended)

Could be on the end of a trimming here.

LooseCannon
All Star
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am
Club: Coppers

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by LooseCannon » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:09 pm

frankthetank wrote:Arguably our two best hurlers on the current panel not listed to start (Oisin Kelly and Ben Conneely).

And 5 starters form Intermediate clubs (Senior B, if you're easily offended)

Could be on the end of a trimming here.
Conneely had his appendix removed. Out for a few weeks yet.
Oisín could be on the bench.
"The greatest one in a row in history."

private joker
All Star
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by private joker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:11 pm

Offaly well beat. Can honestly say that Offaly are wasting their time at this moment in time. 27 point defeat. Score 7 points in an hour. Galway next.

LooseCannon
All Star
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am
Club: Coppers

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by LooseCannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:27 pm

It’s Dublin at home next.
"The greatest one in a row in history."

greenairfield
All Star
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 pm
Club: birr

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by greenairfield » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:27 pm

I did not want to comment on the team before the game because it is no good to anyone, but looking at the personal we have it's very concerning.
How far do we have to fall before something is done?

I heard Brian Carroll say after the game it's easy point the finger..well yes it is Brian but it has to happen because we are still in the same position at underage where we were 5 years ago.

How long ago was it that meeting was held in the County Arms Hotel..?
What happened to the player pathway?

It's pretty obvious we don't have the personal within the County to put it right because if we did it would be done by now.

Croke Park have to step up with the best plan for weaker counties and give us the the funding to hire people outside of the county who can put us right because at the moment we don't have the right people or plans in the County

SearingDrive
All Star
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by SearingDrive » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:32 pm

greenairfield wrote:I did not want to comment on the team before the game because it is no good to anyone, but looking at the personal we have it's very concerning.
How far do we have to fall before something is done?

I heard Brian Carroll say after the game it's easy point the finger..well yes it is Brian but it has to happen because we are still in the same position at underage where we were 5 years ago.

How long ago was it that meeting was held in the County Arms Hotel..?
What happened to the player pathway?

It's pretty obvious we don't have the personal within the County to put it right because if we did it would be done by now.

Croke Park have to step up with the best plan for weaker counties and give us the the funding to hire people outside of the county who can put us right because at the moment we don't have the right people or plans in the County
County Arms meeting was in September2014.

uibhfhaili
County player
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by uibhfhaili » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:07 pm

That side wouldn't win the club championship.

private joker
All Star
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by private joker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:30 pm

Hoganstand says Galway but it's Dublin in Tullamore.

jimbob17
All Star
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 am

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by jimbob17 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:37 pm

While we were missing a lot, this is fairly close to where we are at. Okay, you could talk about the absence of Dooley, Bergin, Mahon, Egan etc but all of them lads are on the wrong side of 30 and might not be around next year. No harm to blood fellas in a game we were never going to win. It'll stand to some of them in future.

We were also down likes of Conneely and Oisin Kelly for other reasons and as far as I know we dont have Killian Kiely or a few others that are probably good enough but that said, take the best 7 or 8 out of Waterford or any top county and they'd still beat our best 15.

Like Brian Carroll said on interview, clubs need to do more to build better hurlers for next generation. The underage county sides were neglected for many years. It will get worse before it gets better!
jimbob

LooseCannon
All Star
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am
Club: Coppers

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by LooseCannon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 am

jimbob17 wrote:While we were missing a lot, this is fairly close to where we are at. Okay, you could talk about the absence of Dooley, Bergin, Mahon, Egan etc but all of them lads are on the wrong side of 30 and might not be around next year. No harm to blood fellas in a game we were never going to win. It'll stand to some of them in future.

We were also down likes of Conneely and Oisin Kelly for other reasons and as far as I know we dont have Killian Kiely or a few others that are probably good enough but that said, take the best 7 or 8 out of Waterford or any top county and they'd still beat our best 15.

Like Brian Carroll said on interview, clubs need to do more to build better hurlers for next generation. The underage county sides were neglected for many years. It will get worse before it gets better!
Unfortunately, the last bit is very much so a strong understatement.
"The greatest one in a row in history."

bracknaghboy
All Star
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by bracknaghboy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Utter madness bringing such an inexperienced panel to Thurles yesterday. 14 (I'm open to correction) of the 26 man panel hadn't played league or championship for the county. A number of others had just a handful of appearances. This is a sure way of demoralizing young lads. Surely they should have blended in some experience in there.
Are Dooley, Bergin, Egan, Mahon, Shortt, Kiely, Murphy, O'Toole Green, Gorman all injured? Could none of them have started to add some stability to the team. If they are all injured then fair enough what can they do but it was unreasonable to expect that bunch of lads to make any impact yesterday.

As a county Offaly are losing ground at a rapid pace now. Many thought last year was bottom of the barrel stuff with relegation and that it can only improve, well there are 2 more trap doors this year that could be fallen through yet.

It's gone beyond a tweak here or there or different managers or even development plans at this stage. Burn the lot to the ground and start again. But thats the problem, it's too difficult to get people to that when they know well that the best that can happen is that all their efforts today may just may bear fruit in 15-20 years time.

It's over. We blew it.

LooseCannon
All Star
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am
Club: Coppers

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by LooseCannon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:31 pm

I’m open to correction on this, but I believe that Dermot Shortt is not on the panel.
The rest are, not 100% sure on David O’Toole-Greene.
"The greatest one in a row in history."

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: NHL Division 1B 2019

Post by Plain of the Herbs » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:38 pm

Sunday was, again, a black day. And not surprising that it was.

With an aggregate of 138 appearances between them, no one in the history of the NHL can ever have put out as inexperienced a team. That’s an average of 9 appearances. Four had played more than 10 times, Pat Camon 32, Shane Kinsella 28, Paddy Rigney 22 and Kevin Connolly 18. Liam Langton had 10. Five were debutants, and another 4 made their debuts last year.

The radio pointed out that only three of Sunday’s 15 started against Dublin 365 days previously (Spain, Camon, Kinsella). But on top of that, only four of Sunday’s starting 15 (Spain, Rigney, Kinsella, Langton) played against Antrim last year, when management controversially gave all the reserves a start. So basically, the ‘third’ team was sent out to face Waterford.

So where have all the hurlers gone? Now, there is no glory to be had playing for Offaly. It is the equivalent of playing for Wicklow, or Waterford footballers. No lad is going to get a job on the back of being an Offaly hurler, or get a gig as a ‘brand ambassador’ that the Galway or Kilkenny lads do. Being an Offaly hurler won’t get a lad into Templemore.

The Munster hurling snobs are sneering ‘good enough for them’ but the exclusion of Offaly (and Leix and Westmeath and others) from their own provincial championship is, and will, prove detrimental to hurling in those counties. Hurlers from those counties will be denied having a crack at Kilkenny or Galway, or the All-Ireland champions. They won’t ever get a chance to hurl in front of a decent attendance (the last time Offaly hurled in front of more than 10,000 was in the Ennis qualifier in 2015). Westmeath had a great night when Kilkenny travelled to Mullingar in 2006. The Jimmy Cooney cup will likely be played in the 'graveyard' slot of 3pm on a Saturday, not even on a Saturday evening or a Sunday afternoon. It was last year.

Offaly hurling has been the author of its own misfortune. Everyone knows (and most accept) that. But all Leinster counties are equal members of Leinster Council, there is no distinction between full members and associate members. All Leinster counties should be permitted to enter their own provincial championship, unless they choose not to. Not that headquarters will do anything – shur the Uachtarán thinks there’s an economic boom going on.

The Tipp crowd are sneering that Offaly can ‘progress up the ladder’ from the Jimmy Cooney Cup (ironic the competition should be named after a Galway man, what with the Connacht cuckoos shoving the Leinster natives out of their nest), or whatever. But Offaly climbed up the ladder from 1966 onwards by playing against Kilkenny and Wexford and making incremental progress over 15 years. No one has made similar progress via the All-Ireland B competition or its successor, the Christy Ring cup. Too much ground has been lost and because of that, Offaly will really struggle next year should they go up again.

Good night!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Post Reply