NFL Division 3 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
LooseCannon
All Star

Re: NFL Division 3 2019

Post by LooseCannon »

Tullman wrote:I know that but we’ve 1 point from 4 and have it all to do. 0-6 from play in 70 minutes. 2 out of the starting 6 forwards scored. Can you not see my point?
I can of course see you’re point.
Anton
Johnny Maloney
Horan
Panda
Dunne
AN OTHER (Niall Mac, perhaps)

Nigel is just back from injury. Anton and Horan should be chipping in with a few scores between them. Panda will get a couple, plus he’s a left-footed free taker. Johnny Maloney could just as easily end up at midfield or even at centre back, with Cunningham at midfield or in the half forward line.

I don’t agree with the county board on everything, but I’d be inclined to agree with the current position they have.
It’d be better for the u20s to have him than to not have him. I know that it’s the league but still.

Also, the attacking mark isn’t a free as such, even though it’s not from play. Panda could have kicked the points v Westmeath given that he was out in front.
Good Luck

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

As it stands
Attachments
Table
Table
EA6A506C-1E30-4344-9CCA-495148F34129.jpeg (180.63 KiB) Viewed 10737 times

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Offaly team v Louth
1 Paddy Dunican
2 Declan Hogan
3 Eoin Rigney
4 David Dempsey
5 Joey O’Connor
6 Paul McConway
7 Cian Donohoe
8 Cathal Mangan
9 Johnny Moloney
10 Shane Horan
11 Peter Cunningham
12 Niall Darby (C)
13 Bernard Allen
14 Anton Sullivan
15 Ruairi McNamee
Good Luck

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

LooseCannon wrote:Offaly team v Louth
1 Paddy Dunican
2 Declan Hogan
3 Eoin Rigney
4 David Dempsey
5 Joey O’Connor
6 Paul McConway
7 Cian Donohoe
8 Cathal Mangan
9 Johnny Moloney
10 Shane Horan
11 Peter Cunningham
12 Niall Darby (C)
13 Bernard Allen
14 Anton Sullivan
15 Ruairi McNamee

No sign of Nigel Dunne still? Hard to know what to expect from Louth, I'd hope that the buoyant displays from Offaly the last two weeks plus the home crowd will be enough to push us over the line. Watched the higlights of the 2016 championship game this morning against Longford, it would be great if we could have got back in some of the players that appeared in that squad, Guillfoyle in particular. A win could put us right into contention. Only concern so far is how we struggled against a Longford team missing a lot of starters, you feel that their ceiling at present is that bit higher than our own whilst players continue to opt out of the senior panel.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

FFS!!!! No words no words

pigeon house biffo
All Star

kingscounty wrote:FFS!!!! No words no words
Once is never twice is always. Third time this league that Offaly have got themselves in winning positions and came away burned. Maughan had a big job on his hands. Serious confidence issues in this group.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

3 games, 1 point. Today was the most frustrating, 2 opposition players red carded/ black carded in second half, and we still lost. Why didn't Offaly close out the game in the 10 minutes, when it was 15 v 13? .

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Any eyewitness reports? Wasn't at it and had no updates but from what I'm reading it was a 6 point lead thrown away against 13 man Louth (for long periods of the second half). With a 2 man advantage even against the wind surely if enough forwards were kept up the pitch Louth would have had very limited scope for attack? Of course if our lads all retreated in an attempt to shut up shop then that's a different story and is only looking for trouble.
Lead the game for 76 mins. Ah Jaysus.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

bracknaghboy wrote:Any eyewitness reports? Wasn't at it and had no updates but from what I'm reading it was a 6 point lead thrown away against 13 man Louth (for long periods of the second half). With a 2 man advantage even against the wind surely if enough forwards were kept up the pitch Louth would have had very limited scope for attack? Of course if our lads all retreated in an attempt to shut up shop then that's a different story and is only looking for trouble.
Lead the game for 76 mins. Ah Jaysus.
Wind assisted Offaly led 2-5 to 1-3 at halftime. Louth had a player red carded early in second half, followed by a black card a few minutes later. With a two man advantage, Offaly should have pushed on, but it wasLouth who added 2 points in this period, Offaly were turned over a few times, when scores were on.
Niall Mc Namee came on for Ruairi McNamee, and was unlucky with a late free coming off the post. Offaly scored 2 points, and with Bernard Allen scoring a free it was 2-8 to 1-8, with the clock running down. Offaly sub Ray Molloy opted to pass to a colleague, when a point looked the better option. The ball was cleared downfield, Louth got 2 more points, Offaly were having problems clearing the ball from defence, with 5 added minutes elapsed, an Offaly defender was unfortunate to put the ball into the net, giving the visitors an unexpected win.
We have to close out games, and play a more attacking game when leading. The home games with Carlow and Laois are must win matches now, with difficult away games v Down and Sligo to come, the Sligo game could be the one to see who goes down. Nigel Dunne and Shane Tierney were not introduced, they might have made a difference.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Wasn’t at the match myself today, but from listening to radio 3 it seemed like we really struggled on kickouts in the second half, against the wind. It sounded like a repeat of the Westmeath game.
Is it Dunican’s kickouts or around midfield where the problem is? Or is it both?
Good Luck

pigeon house biffo
All Star

The positives would have to be that we are putting it up to stronger teams in a credible way. A win is needed sooner rather than later to help the lads confidence. At the moment we are not fielding our strongest 15, and for whatever reason Nigel Dunne is sitting on the bench.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Thats 11 games our 2 senior intercounty teams have played since the season started in December and we are still awaiting a win from either of them.
Footballers lost 2 and drew 1 in O'Byrne Cup and now lost 2 and drew 1 in the league.
Hurlers have lost all 3 games in Walsh Cup and the 2 league games. Must be the only county in Ireland still awaiting a win in either code?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

My lord that was a hard one to take. It is one thing to lose to a better team, its a whole other thing to gift the thing to the opposition because we are unwilling to take them on. It was a crying shame to lose that one and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Offaly started very brightly and should have been further ahead - some poor shooting and very bad on final pass after good build up play. Louth stayed in touch and were closer at half time than they should have been - 5 points.

Again, like Westmeath game, we started 2nd half brightly with good point from Bernard Allen and then went into shell. Sporadically got out for score during next 10 or 15 mins while Louth had some bad wides themselves.

Louth were frustrated and then had 2 sent off with about 15 to play - one being a black card or 10 min penalty. IMO this is where we lost the game. We failed to go at them. We passed it around the half back line and only went as far as their 45 when we needed to just run at them and create the extra man - or 2. Louth scored 2 pts here and Offaly none. It was painful to watch Offaly during this period after playing so well for most of game up to then.

I felt our subs added little to the game here when they were coming into a 15 v 13 situation. This may seem slightly unfair but Niall Mc - while its great to have him back, did not look fit enough for a half forward position and should have been put in full forward. Eoin Carroll also struggled as he did against Westmeath when he came in. He is clearly not fit as he could be and I am not blaming him - it isn't his fault. Dan Molloy also lacked the requisite ball skills on a few occasions, a slipped pass that didnt go to hand when baring down on goal and gifting the ball to opposition inside our own 45 on unforced hand-pass near the end. I am not blaming the young chap, his time will come, but was a rookie the right guy to bring into a key role when a must win game was on a knife edge.

Cian Donohue is one of our more consistent performers over last few years, and while he was on a yellow, could have swapped directly with Niall Darby to wing forward when switch was done. Our left flank was weakened with him not there. Thought Mangan was the better of our two midfielders today and while he may have been tiring, it wasn't a game or time to bring in a rookie replacement in my opinion. In fact it surprised me that Leavy wasnt the first midfielder in given how well he did in O Byrne Cup.

I couldnt understand how Tierney or Nigel Dunne went unused either while fellas with questionable fitness levels were used. Tierney in particular has come in over last year or so and generally added something while Dunne understandably is not long back. It would have allowed maybe Cunningham back into midfield or Sullivan further back to exert influence while keeping some legs in the team.

Either way, I felt our management could have made better use of subs and was a key factor in us losing. We were over ran and didnt have the legs in middle third at the end despite a numerical advantage - it looked ominous for a while and only poor shooting from them kept us in front.

On the goal, I thought Hogan did very well actually despite OG. He saw the danger and came back at speed to cut out the danger. Had he not got there, it was going to be a goal anyway so he cannot be blamed. In fact, I thought he had one of his better games in an Offaly jersey as I am not sure he is a natural corner back. He came out and won balls ahead of man at end with game in melting pot but for me, looks more comfortable higher up the pitch at wing back or wing forward where he plays for club. Rigney too was very good, as was Dempsey in other corner. From my view, I felt we were over run in middle third for last 10 minutes despite numerical advantage and ultimately paid the price.

On positive note, we did very well for 50 mins again and we are most definitely heading in right direction trying to play attractive brand of football considering what we were at last year. Horan was very good and Cunningham is getting better with every game. Panda is looking sharp too and he will get better supply when we get back towards full strength and get a little bit fitter overall. Add a fitter Dunne, Carroll and McNamee into the mix and we wont be in a bad spot when the summer comes around. Lets hope we can stave of relegation in meantime - we are certainly good enough to do that baring in mind that Longford are top of table at the moment.
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

jimbob17 wrote:My lord that was a hard one to take. It is one thing to lose to a better team, its a whole other thing to gift the thing to the opposition because we are unwilling to take them on. It was a crying shame to lose that one and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Offaly started very brightly and should have been further ahead - some poor shooting and very bad on final pass after good build up play. Louth stayed in touch and were closer at half time than they should have been - 5 points.

Again, like Westmeath game, we started 2nd half brightly with good point from Bernard Allen and then went into shell. Sporadically got out for score during next 10 or 15 mins while Louth had some bad wides themselves.

Louth were frustrated and then had 2 sent off with about 15 to play - one being a black card or 10 min penalty. IMO this is where we lost the game. We failed to go at them. We passed it around the half back line and only went as far as their 45 when we needed to just run at them and create the extra man - or 2. Louth scored 2 pts here and Offaly none. It was painful to watch Offaly during this period after playing so well for most of game up to then.

I felt our subs added little to the game here when they were coming into a 15 v 13 situation. This may seem slightly unfair but Niall Mc - while its great to have him back, did not look fit enough for a half forward position and should have been put in full forward. Eoin Carroll also struggled as he did against Westmeath when he came in. He is clearly not fit as he could be and I am not blaming him - it isn't his fault. Dan Molloy also lacked the requisite ball skills on a few occasions, a slipped pass that didnt go to hand when baring down on goal and gifting the ball to opposition inside our own 45 on unforced hand-pass near the end. I am not blaming the young chap, his time will come, but was a rookie the right guy to bring into a key role when a must win game was on a knife edge.

Cian Donohue is one of our more consistent performers over last few years, and while he was on a yellow, could have swapped directly with Niall Darby to wing forward when switch was done. Our left flank was weakened with him not there. Thought Mangan was the better of our two midfielders today and while he may have been tiring, it wasn't a game or time to bring in a rookie replacement in my opinion. In fact it surprised me that Leavy wasnt the first midfielder in given how well he did in O Byrne Cup.

I couldnt understand how Tierney or Nigel Dunne went unused either while fellas with questionable fitness levels were used. Tierney in particular has come in over last year or so and generally added something while Dunne understandably is not long back. It would have allowed maybe Cunningham back into midfield or Sullivan further back to exert influence while keeping some legs in the team.

Either way, I felt our management could have made better use of subs and was a key factor in us losing. We were over ran and didnt have the legs in middle third at the end despite a numerical advantage - it looked ominous for a while and only poor shooting from them kept us in front.

On the goal, I thought Hogan did very well actually despite OG. He saw the danger and came back at speed to cut out the danger. Had he not got there, it was going to be a goal anyway so he cannot be blamed. In fact, I thought he had one of his better games in an Offaly jersey as I am not sure he is a natural corner back. He came out and won balls ahead of man at end with game in melting pot but for me, looks more comfortable higher up the pitch at wing back or wing forward where he plays for club. Rigney too was very good, as was Dempsey in other corner. From my view, I felt we were over run in middle third for last 10 minutes despite numerical advantage and ultimately paid the price.

On positive note, we did very well for 50 mins again and we are most definitely heading in right direction trying to play attractive brand of football considering what we were at last year. Horan was very good and Cunningham is getting better with every game. Panda is looking sharp too and he will get better supply when we get back towards full strength and get a little bit fitter overall. Add a fitter Dunne, Carroll and McNamee into the mix and we wont be in a bad spot when the summer comes around. Lets hope we can stave of relegation in meantime - we are certainly good enough to do that baring in mind that Longford are top of table at the moment.
Excellent summary of a disappointing day Jim Bob. The failure to press on with a 2 man numerical advantage, in the second half was a big factor in the result. A similar fade out happened in the Westmeath game, that has to stop. Two home games, and two away games remaining, need to start winning.

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

I think even at this stage only 4 teams are in play for the drop. Sligo are gone, no doubt about that. then either Carlow, Louth or Offaly.
the Offaly/Carlow game the next day will be a key game, if Offaly lose, then it is curtains. An Offaly win puts Carlow into the mire and the only realistic hope they would have of another win is at home to Louth.
For what it is worth, I think Offaly may beat Carlow and rather easily, as it is becoming obvious that the Carlow game plan is limited, and once they go behind in a game then they are beaten dockets. Ironically, Offaly have squandered leads in their two home games, the Carlow game is the one they need to lead to win.

Looking at the run in, Down look poised for a top two spot, I am not convinced by Longford. Whoever wins the Westmeath/Laois game in Mullingar in the next round will be in the driving seat for the second promotion spot.