NFL Division 3 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Re: NFL Division 3 2019

Post by pigeon house biffo »

I think if you're looking at the Carlow game to get a result, objectively they have stronger players in key positions, Murphy in midfield, Broderick and St. ledger in particular. It will take a better performance than we've seen in a while to get the result we need here. Sligo away could reap some joy but apart from that it's hard to see where the wins will come from.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Unfortunately it looks like Offaly need to be 6 or 7 points the better team to close the deal and win such a game.
This has happened a few times in the last 4 years, where Offaly have been very much in the driving seat but completely retreated into their shell instead of pulling away.

John Maughan will be haunted by Mayo’s 1996 All Ireland loss to Meath where they conceded the last 6 points without reply in the drawn game.
I’m sure he has pondered many times how they could have averted this. He’ll need to put some of these ideas into practice now.

Some of it may be mental. Getting through to the players that in games where they’re winning by a margin, they’re clearly the better team and therefore shouldn’t be cowering before lesser opposition.

Some of it could be tactical strategies to stop a comeback – Set plays, kick out plans and time wasting strategies. There’s a the world of stuff you can do to reduce the ball in play time and frustrate an opposition.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Unfortunately it looks like Offaly need to be 6 or 7 points the better team to close the deal and win such a game.
This has happened a few times in the last 4 years, where Offaly have been very much in the driving seat but completely retreated into their shell instead of pulling away.

John Maughan will be haunted by Mayo’s 1996 All Ireland loss to Meath where they conceded the last 6 points without reply in the drawn game.
I’m sure he has pondered many times how they could have averted this. He’ll need to put some of these ideas into practice now.

Some of it may be mental. Getting through to the players that in games where they’re winning by a margin, they’re clearly the better team and therefore shouldn’t be cowering before lesser opposition.

Some of it could be tactical strategies to stop a comeback – Set plays, kick out plans and time wasting strategies. There’s a the world of stuff you can do to reduce the ball in play time and frustrate an opposition.
The last bit is what drove me mad at the Westmeath game. Two points on the bounce for Westmeath, their supporters making noise, they have momentum, we are more than happy to keep the pace of the game up. Someone should have went down and tied a lace or else a problem with the ‘contact lenses’.
A bit of cuteness in that situation can go a long way. Similarly when we have a team on the ropes, kill them. Be ruthless and relentless. Nice guys win nothing. Not saying that we’ve a team of nice guys or anything like it, but just look at Roscommon and what Anthony Cunningham has instilled in them, eye-gouging aside.
Good Luck

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

LooseCannon wrote:Be ruthless and relentless. Nice guys win nothing. Not saying that we’ve a team of nice guys or anything like it, but just look at Roscommon and what Anthony Cunningham has instilled in them, eye-gouging aside.
Whens Mickey B due back? Just askin :lol: :lol: :lol:

pigeon house biffo
All Star

bracknaghboy wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:Be ruthless and relentless. Nice guys win nothing. Not saying that we’ve a team of nice guys or anything like it, but just look at Roscommon and what Anthony Cunningham has instilled in them, eye-gouging aside.
Whens Mickey B due back? Just askin :lol: :lol: :lol:
March/April. Is travelling at present.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Will Offaly get a much needed win v Carlow on Sunday?

pigeon house biffo
All Star

SearingDrive wrote:Will Offaly get a much needed win v Carlow on Sunday?
Hard to see it to be honest, I'd imagine our confidence is shot to pieces given the way games have gone so far. In saying that, if we get a bit of a run on them its hard to see them playing open enough football to claw back a lead. If theres one thing we have been able to do thus far its been building decent leads (though not being able to hold onto them). If we can build a lead similar to what we have done before, its hard see them getting back into it.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Good Luck

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

A vital game, good luck to all involved

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Was not able to make Tullamore today due to a funeral I just had to attend,

Delighted with that result..Hope it can kick-start the season..

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

ryot wrote:Was not able to make Tullamore today due to a funeral I just had to attend,

Delighted with that result..Hope it can kick-start the season..
Great win by Offaly. They put in a great second half display to get their first league win, by 0-15 to 1-9. The introduction of Niall McNamee was a match winner in my opinion. He won the first ball that game his way, and also scored a point.
Good work by Nigel Dunne, and all his teammates gave Offaly a much needed win. Carlow, who were physically bigger than Offaly led at half time by 2 points, courtesy of a penalty, resulting in a black card for Clint Horan.
Carlow might rue their wide tally, 9 in the second half, but congrats to John Maughan, and his players. Carlow had 2 players red carded, one a straight red, and the other on a second yellow. Their antics at game end,some players getting involved with opponents, cannot be justified.

Newry next Saturday night, best of luck to all. I arrived with 10 minutes remaining of the hurling match, all the programmes were sold, so I got a photocopied team list for the football game. This is the second occasion this happened in OCP. Not good enough. It didn't detract from the win though.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Congrats and well done to all involved!!

Great to get a win and also to finish out a tight game.

Was working, but watching the score tick by as the end neared.

Must be a great feeling to get over the line after the recent disappointments.

Thanks to all for their considerable efforts!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

which midfielder was taken off, the announcement was Eoin Carroll but I thought E Carroll remained on the pitch, was there a mix up with the numbers on jersies?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

We really should be top of this group at this stage, I’m delighted for the players hard to bounce back after two devastating defeats but you did it. 15 points decent score too, positive energy now for the week ahead and give Down a rattle on Saturday night

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

With a tiny bit of luck we would be sitting comfortable at the top...Is promotion still achievable?