Senior A Hurling 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior A County Champions 2019

St. Rynaghs
29%
Coolderry
13%
KK
13%
Kinnitty
No votes
Belmont
13%
Ballinamere/Durrow
3%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
29%

Total votes: 31

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Senior A Hurling 2019

Post by greenairfield »

I was in Rath today to see the first two club championship games of 2019 to take place overall the hurling was not1 that exciting but that was expected as it was like most club games in March.

K/K v Shinrone
Winner - K/K
Similar to Shinrones QF loss to Coolderry last year they pucked ball after ball to a two man forward line, only this time it was Healion who swallowed up the ball...who ever the manager is really would want to take a good look at himself...they have forwards with pace but yet they play a game which makes no sense and will not expose other teams ...they huff and puff every year but that's about it, they could well end up in a relegation battle..
going nowhere fast!
I thought K/K were very good, Slevin and Gorman causing huge problems all day..Murray was so clever in midfield and was the difference between the two teams...probably a bit off winning a county final but a great win for them, Kiely was average at best and as usual is only a second from been sent off.

Birr v Coolderry
Winner - Birr
Similar in ways to the first match..scrappy and lacked that real class. Before the game the talk was Birr should of won because of who Coolderry down a few
They did get get the win but it was a struggle for most of the game, Coolderry caused problems inside with the Connollys..but Birr looked comfortable for huge parts of this game.
I know Coolderry were missing 4 or 5 key players but some people might not be aware of Birr were missing Emmet Nolan, Brendan Murphy and Stephen lonergan all starters.
It was a good win for Birr but still there is so much to work on..for Coolderry they will be there or there about as the end.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

[quote="greenairfield"]I was in Rath today to see the first two club championship games of 2019 to take place overall the hurling was not1 that exciting but that was expected as it was like most club games in March.

K/K v Shinrone
Winner - K/K
Similar to Shinrones QF loss to Coolderry last year they pucked ball after ball to a two man forward line, only this time it was Healion who swallowed up the ball...who ever the manager is really would want to take a good look at himself...they have forwards with pace but yet they play a game which makes no sense and will not expose other teams ...they huff and puff every year but that's about it, they could well end up in a relegation battle..
going nowhere fast!
I thought K/K were very good, Slevin and Gorman causing huge problems all day..Murray was so clever in midfield and was the difference between the two teams...probably a bit off winning a county final but a great win for them, Kiely was average at best and as usual is only a second from been sent off.

Birr v Coolderry
Winner - Birr
Similar in ways to the first match..scrappy and lacked that real class. Before the game the talk was Birr should of won because of who Coolderry down a few
They did get get the win but it was a struggle for most of the game, Coolderry caused problems inside with the Connollys..but Birr looked comfortable for huge parts of this game.
I know Coolderry were missing 4 or 5 key players but some people might not be aware of Birr were missing Emmet Nolan, Brendan Murphy and Stephen lonergan all starters.
It was a good win for Birr but still there is so much to work on..for Coolderry they will be there or there about as the end.[/quote]
Thanks for that greenairfield. Unfortunately I’m not around this weekend. Really appreciated.
Kiely missed a penalty as well, didn’t he? I see that young Sampson chipped in with a couple of points. Himself and Cathal Kiely were impressive in the forward division for the minors last year. I presume that he’s involved with the 20s. How did he cope physically? Was one of the Clearys withdrawn from the inside line and brought out the field, like the quarter final last year?
I see that Seán Cleary got injured.

Any stand outs for Birr?

Once again, really appreciated.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

No problem at all..Sean Cleary came off in the first half so he was a major loss.
Yes they swarmed the middle of the field and tried scoring points from distance it didn't work and suited a physical K/K team...you are right Keily missed a peno in the first 10 minutes.
Young Sampson who was minor last year done okay set up some nice scores probably a couple of years away before you can really see how he is performing,
I was more impressed with the Cleary chap who wears the yellow and black helmet he was lively.

For Birr they seemed solid....
Cleary and B Watkins were immense ( you would have to wonder how they didn't hurl senior for Offaly for years.
both now 32)
In the forward line Hayden is back he done well, but it was Sean Ryan and Tomas Bolger inside who caused Coolderry huge problems with there pace.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

greenairfield wrote:No problem at all..Sean Cleary came off in the first half so he was a major loss.
Yes they swarmed the middle of the field and tried scoring points from distance it didn't work and suited a physical K/K team...you are right Keily missed a peno in the first 10 minutes.
Young Sampson who was minor last year done okay set up some nice scores probably a couple of years away before you can really see how he is performing,
I was more impressed with the Cleary chap who wears the yellow and black helmet he was lively.

For Birr they seemed solid....
Cleary and B Watkins were immense ( you would have to wonder how they didn't hurl senior for Offaly for years.
both now 32)
In the forward line Hayden is back he done well, but it was Sean Ryan and Tomas Bolger inside who caused Coolderry huge problems with there pace.
I think that’s JP Cleary. Adrian has the white helmet I think.

It’s a pity that they didn’t hurl with Offaly for years, Watky especially. Consistently good for years. I’d say if you named an Offaly senior hurling championship team of the year throughout the years, Watky be more than likely on it. Was very good last year. Pops up with scores as well, and they generally come in twos and threes!
Good Luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Last edited by frankthetank on Sat May 25, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

https://twitter.com/daithi_regan/status ... 59104?s=21

“Unfortunate that none of the shinrone team feel it is worth their while making themselves available for their county”
Good Luck

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Coolderry v Ballinamere
Easy win for coolderry
Coolderry 4-22 Ballinamere 1-12

KK v St Rynaghs
Close game rynaghs to shade it
KK 1-14 St Rynaghs 0-19

Birr v Kinnitty
Going to go with a surprise win for Kinnitty
Birr 2-12 Kinnitty 2-14

Belmont v Shinrone
Expect a high scoring game shinrone to come out on top
Belmont 3-13 Shinrone 4-14

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Coolderry by 10+
St.Rynaghs by 5
Birr by 8
Shinrone v Belmon draw

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Coolderry convincingly, to say the least.
St Rynagh’s by 2 or 3.
Birr by 4 or 5.
Shinrone.
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I know it's only April but the standard in the hurling so far this year has been a disgrace.

Coolderry beat B/D comfortable today in the end but struggled for long periods and are very lucky B/D didnt have a forward that could hurt them or they could of been in serious trouble...I think they won by about 9 points.

The second game K/K v Rynaghs the less said about this game the better...how St.Rynaghs won its beyond me all they wanted to do was get Kiely sent off from the get go the game was stop start from the very first minute and it was painful to watch...if either team is going to win a county final for me it would be K/K as Rynaghs are going nowhere and nowhere fast.
They have no forwards and there backs are too busy mouthing and dragging out of players.
One of the worst club games I was ever at!

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Your right about 2 things, rynas frwds v poor and its only April. Draw prob would been fair result. Ref made a mess of it giving crazy amount of needless frees. Kiely causes his own troubles he pulled high a few times, there was zero mouthin from Rynas backs dunno where your gettin that scutter. But your right it is only April.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I have never had a problem with Rynaghs I call it how I see it..I was standing in at the 21 I heard it with my own ears.
Clancy
Moloney
Shortt
Treacy
Are far from saints on the field the dogs on the street know that.
Kiely is a disgrace the way he conducts himself on the field , its like minding a child hurling with him all you can hear through out most games is his own players trying to calm down..it must very tiring playing with him.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Birr and Kinnitty ended up a draw in Coolderry...two injury time goals for Kinnitty giving them something from the match.
It is a game Birr should of won but over the course of the 60 minutes only hurled in patches.
I also see Belmont beat Shinrone by a point.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote:Birr and Kinnitty ended up a draw in Coolderry...two injury time goals for Kinnitty giving them something from the match.
It is a game Birr should of won but over the course of the 60 minutes only hurled in patches.
I also see Belmont beat Shinrone by a point.
All goes into sleep mode now until July. Laois up next month in McDonagh Cup.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Huge difference in pace between the 2 games in Birr on Saturday. Kilcormac will feel hard done by and should have won. They havent a whole lot done by all accounts yet are right there hurling wise. My tip for the county this year - Conor Mahon was excellent.

Other game - Coolderry deserved it but only just. Ballinamere a lot closer than score suggested and if they were more efficient and fumbled less ball, they could have edged it. They conceded a couple of sloppy goals and threw up few chances due to poor decision making. All that said, I thought young Ravenhill was outstanding under high ball and will surely make a county senior player in next few years. They will put it up to a few more teams before year is out.......
jimbob