Senior A Hurling 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior A County Champions 2019

St. Rynaghs
29%
Coolderry
13%
KK
13%
Kinnitty
No votes
Belmont
13%
Ballinamere/Durrow
3%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
29%

Total votes: 31

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Senior A Hurling 2019

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The smell. Again. 😮
allstar2010 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:21 pm What gave it away? Again! :D
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Has diarmuid horan gone back to America or will he be playing tomorrow against rathdowney

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Best of luck to St Rynagh’s today. They’ll be up again it. RE have 3 very good forwards in King, Kavanagh and Joe McDonagh hurler of the year, Paddy Purcell.
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

County champions beating by 18 points.
Senior B Clareen advance to next round with a solid win.
Intermediate champions don't even get to play.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Best team won in the end though Rynaghs weren't helped by a shocking referee particularly in the first half, along with shooting terrible wides and a stupid sending off. R/E did the major damage with the extra man. Rynaghs missing key players came home to roost today against decent opposition. Scoreline flattered the Laois lads but best of luck to them, they played hurling all day no messing.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

How will rathdowney fair out against St mullins the next day

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Great win by Clareen has to be said. Would I be right in saying that was the Meath Senior champs? Meath have leap frogged Offaly in intercounty standing but our Senior B champs beat their Senior A champs. Well done.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

private joker wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:05 pm County champions beating by 18 points.
Senior B Clareen advance to next round with a solid win.
Intermediate champions don't even get to play.
Actually saw of somewhere where one club’s first team were playing another’s second team. It went to a replay. They put it back 2 weeks, allowing the club to compete in the provincial championship. Cannot for the life of me remember where it was, but I think it was a Leinster county. It was this year too.
Good Luck

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

people may bemoan how St. Ryanaghs limped out of Leinster on Sunday, and so be it, they were our county champions, and as I say, the bench mark to get decent Leinster Club run is firstly win your county final. R/E are a fine side, and have hurled well as a team over the last couple of years, despite not winning all the semi-finals and finals they were in, but that doesnt make them a bad side either, they should make the Leinster Final now, and I think will seriously test St. Martins or Ballyhale, it would be nice to see them win it out. Clareen are doing well I think and won too on Sunday didnt they...interesting to see how Offaly fair now in the upcomming NHL..best of luck to all concerned...

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Of course it will be interesting or you wouldnt be here!

Wasn't at the Rynaghs match but by all reports the ref was hard on Rynaghs in the first half, especially when Jack Nolan says it! Also they seemed to hit some very poor wides.
Extra man finished the game as a contest as in fairness teams that use the ball well usually maximise that advantage.

To be fair, scoring enough was always going to be Rynaghs achilles but fair dues to them for a good county championship win.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Though emphatic winners, Rathdowney-Errill wasted enough good play and left a misfiring St Rynagh’s in it for long enough to suggest they are far from the real deal. And that they outscored St Rynagh’s something like 4-3 to 0-3 after Paul Quirke’s sending off, I get the impression they are great crowd to sew it into a beaten team.

While Cuala missed Colm Cronin, and Con O’Callaghan didn’t start (and therefore wasn’t fully fit for when he did come on), it took massive belief for the South Carlow team to overcome the Dublin champions. But they did. And if St Mullins can deal with Paddy Purcell’s ’45 to ’45 incisions they could well be in business. And on the subject of those runs, I can’t help thinking that a centre half-back like Coolderry’s Kevin Brady (mar shampla) wouldn’t have been as accommodating. And Offaly teams in general are poorly equipped to deal with curved balls like seven defenders and opposition who run at them. Something a Carlow team would be more used to.

Rynagh’s ran at the Laois champions just three times – drawing three frees and two yellow cards for high fouls. Indicating the R-E technique in the tackle needs work. With three regular Carlow county forwards including a 9/10 freetaker, a St Mullins win would not surprise.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Ben Conneely got player of the year. Could Brian Watkins feel a little hard done by here?

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Not a hurling man but personally I thought Ben was superb in the county semi final and final but I’m open to arguments