Senior A Hurling 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior A County Champions 2019

St. Rynaghs
29%
Coolderry
13%
KK
13%
Kinnitty
No votes
Belmont
13%
Ballinamere/Durrow
3%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
29%

Total votes: 31

LooseCannon
All Star

Re: Senior A Hurling 2019

Post by LooseCannon »

I think that Birr will do it.
Good Luck

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

hard one to call battle of the backlines think birr will shade it 1-17 to rynaghs 0-18 .

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

greenairfield wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:09 pm I think Birr have this one we have put two huge performances back to back.

It will be a battle of the backs and I can see Birr winning as there back 6 has been superb.
and your also from birr.

i have to go with rynaghs by 5 or 6 at least.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I am not am I :roll:

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

Good atmosphere there for KK breakthrough, (what year was that?)

Also for Tullamore's win, what year again?

Anyway it's in Tullamore, so don't any of ye make the mistake of heading to Birr

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

GAHMAD wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:20 pm Good atmosphere there for KK breakthrough, (what year was that?)

Also for Tullamore's win, what year again?

Anyway it's in Tullamore, so don't any of ye make the mistake of heading to Birr
make sure you tell the footballers of clonbulloge to head to kilcormac for their final as they are keeping tellamore for the hurling. :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Thoughts on the Senior A Hurling final

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That St Rynagh’s won a ‘battle’ of a semi-final is to their credit. Toe to toe with Belmont for 60 minutes in a test of character. Which they passed. And weren’t going to be beaten once they edged in front. The way Dermot Shortt walked out from his own square to halfway, the way the free for the lead was won around halfway. And most importantly, the textbook tackling that won the last free. Everything you want from a team. Perfection.

The manner of the win gave rise to ecstatic celebrations among their supporters. Which gives rise to concern – will they carry the same edge on Sunday? If they don’t, they will leave the door open for a Birr team under the radar. Supporters crave success for their team, but it’s easy for followers’ ebullience to get into players’ subconscious. Then again, no better man than Ken Hogan to direct the focus where it should be.

Birr are surprise finalists. Then again, so were Coolderry last year, and that didn’t hinder them. Birr gained an early psychological edge over a vulnerable Shinrone who confused themselves with eejitry. And after a slow start, Birr took over from the point that it seemed they were a Kilcormac score or two from being pushed beyond the edge. Again, impressive from a psychological point of view.

Birr’s half-back line was impressive. Brian Watkins with the game of his life, in the air or on the ground. Scoring two points, one as inspirational as the other, but driving those around him with every action of his. Seán Ryan probably in the form of his life too. And Paul Cleary, just the man to handle Conor Mahon. Behind them, Oisín Murphy blossoming into a tight marking corner-back, nothing flash, stand the corner-back up, get the contact at the right time, get the turnover and effect the clearance. Jimmy Irwin has blossomed as the year has passed. And Dylan Watkins, a young full-back, couldn’t ask for anything other than a goalkeeper like Mullins behind him.

Eoghan Cahill aside, you’d worry about Birr’s 8 – 15. They could do with more scorers in that department. And outside of Eoghan Cahill’s 0-6 and Dylan Hayden’s 0-3, no other attacker scored from play in the semi-final. Barry Harding, if ruled out, would be a massive loss. A steady performer, unflustered. It also further reduces sideline options. One of Craig Taylor or Tomás Bolger will start, the other will come on, and that’s about it. Maybe Aaron Whelahan, or Paddy Mullins. Goalscoring is a problem too. Scored two in March’s first round against Coolderry, six against Ballinamere in July, one from a penalty against Kilcormac. And that’s it. To win, they will need two goals.

Breeder. So good he gets a paragraph for himself. In his 24th year hurling Senior, in around 200 championship appearances (I don’t have an exact count, but it’s not far off 200), it is through his enthusiasm and his dedication to Birr and to hurling that he has hung around at age 41. A deep thinker of the game, he has expanded his skills in recent years, and can vary his puckouts well. I even spotted him during a break in play against Shinrone have a word with full-back Dylan Watkins, then puck out to Watkins, collect a back pass before driving down the field. Keep an eye for him in future coaching capacities.

Of course, it was another goalkeeper, Conor Clancy, who caught the eye in the other semi-final, with a series of stunning saves, not only in their execution but their timing and what it did to outfield spirits. It was nothing short of one of the greatest goalkeeping displays at the venue.

Nothing wrong with the defence in front of him either. Stephen Wynne and Dermot Shortt are two imposing defenders. No better defender than Conor Hernon to initiate passing movements from deep. In saying that, Rynagh’s are hurling much more direct this year. That might please their supporters who like to be able to see the ball, but hurling through the lines might be a better plan on Sunday especially against a ‘pure’ hurling team like Birr. And no point horsing it down on top of Brian Watkins and co either.

Interesting to see how St Rynagh’s deploy Ben Conneely. Options are many, full-back, centre half-back, a man marking role on Eoghan Cahill? From centre half-back, he can control the game, cover behind, attack, score a point if the opportunity arises, and generally be inspirational. Elsewhere in the half-back line, Mattie Maloney and Paul Quirke are more attack minded. That might be more of an issue if, say, Kilcormac-Killoughey were the opposition, but the Birr forward lines consist more of worker/foragers than prolific point scorers.

A few decisions to be made for the St Rynagh’s management regarding their attackers too. Can they afford to leave Stephen Quirke in reserve? Like Birr, no shortage of workers in attack where Seán Dolan can be depended on, Ciarán Flannery will do what he can, Gary Kelly will be dangerous on the run or from distance and Garry Conneely is one of their better hurlers when they opt to hurl through the lines.

Aaron Kenny has grown into his role this year. Pacy, an eye for a score, anticipates well and takes up good positions, confident. And has scored consistently since the summer too. His individual duel with Oisín Murphy will be one to watch. And it would be no surprise if Ronan Hughes was ho hit 1-2 or 1-3 or 0-4. Joey O’Connor will have a big influence around midfield. And the more you go through the options, Aidan Treacy might be the man to shadow Cahill, and if not him then they might be forced to give that role to Ben Conneely, with Treacy holding the centre.

Both will lament absent friends. Pat Camon and Niall Wynne injuries, Danny Maloney in Australia. It reduces St Rynagh’s options, leaves them with two attack minded hurlers in defence, and leaves them with Stephen Quirke as first impact sub (or whoever he replaces if he starts). They also have Diarmuid Horan who’ll cause bother for Birr’s full-back line when introduced late in the game, and two hungry young hurlers in Oisín Hickey and Luke O’Connor.

Still, St Rynagh’s will likely start with 12 of the team that commenced 2016’s decider against the same opposition, while Paul Quirke came on that day. Other hand, Birr have had much more of a turnover. Michael Verney, Eoin Hayes, Barry Whelahan, Rory Hanniffy, Conor O’Callaghan and most severely of all, Emmet Nolan, all lined out three years ago and are unavailable for one reason or another. And possibly Barry Harding too, if he doesn’t recover from injury.

St Rynagh’s enter this final under pressure. Pressure to win another final after years of underage promise. Around a while, maybe only coming into their prime. Only Ben Conneely and Aaron Kenny are under 24, only three are over 30, the oldest is 32. You couldn’t ask for better than that.

If the heads are right, quite possibly St Rynagh’s will open stronger, open up a lead of, perhaps, six points, before Birr reel them in. Down for decision as the shadows lengthen, St Rynagh’s for me are the more likely to kick for home. More sideline options, more potential to score points, more potential to dictate the game.

In other news, this is the ninth meeting of the pair in a final, now equal with Coolderry v Drumcullen, and Birr and St Rynagh’s can claim with some justification to be the traditional final. Also their 50th championship meeting.

As for the year as a whole, Belmont will have felt for the last fortnight that they left a glorious chance behind them. But this time last year they seemed nearer to a hurling win than a football one, and look how that turned out. The football win could well help drive the hurlers over the line next year. Again Kilcormac-Killoughey flattered to deceive, another year has passed them by, ending again in the mystery of the disappearing forward line. Shinrone did what Shinrone do, Coolderry barely survived, Ballinamere consolidated their Senior status on the last day and KInnitty fell through the relegation trapdoor for the want of a few more forwards. Funnily enough, the ones who might have made a Senior semi-final this year were Seir Kieran but who instead were the wrong side of the fence in Senior B. Still, Birr making the final this year shows a healthy club scene.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Great atmosphere in Tullamore today the place was buzzing. Birr gave it everything and just came up short, Rynaghs had that bit of experience from previous finals which stood to them. Birr got a great start and it looked like they were well on their way going in 6 up at half time. Rynaghs didn’t panic and Horan and Quirke made the difference when they came on with 6 points between them. I don’t want to be harsh or say the ref was poor but from looking at it he let a lot of things go today and Birr at the end can feel hard done by, by what looked like a player was pulled down over on the stand side. Birr will feel that they let this one slip, best wishes to Rynaghs in Leinster and hopefully they put a run of wins together.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Who do they play next?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I think it’s the Laois champions away on 2nd November

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

I thought Birr’s first touch was much better than Rynaghs especially in the first half. Took Rynaghs an awful long time to settle and really it was the introduction of Quirke and Horan that made the difference. Sean Dolan and Ben Conneelly were immense also. For Birr, Sean Ryan and young Watkins (when he got in fast ball in space in the first half - he didn’t get any delivery in the second half). Eoghan Cahill worth a mention too.

Brilliant crowd (anyone know the official attendance?) had to be close to 7000 or more albeit the official one will probably say less!!! Great fightback from Rynaghs and with 64 minutes on the clock, there wasn’t one person leaving.

Best of luck in Leinster now.
Doon exile....

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Great comeback. Subs had huge impact. Great for competition too that Rynaghs won and Birr were so close. Birr made huge strides this year while Rynaghs have same crew really that they had a few years ago....... very close and Nobody would have begrudged if Birr won today. Makes for very strong championship next year with Birr Rynaghs Belmont KK all contending. Shinrone have improved and will contend as will Coolderry and maybe even a resurgent Clareen while the youth of Ballinamere will only improve.

Would love to see two groups of 4 with finalists and semi finalists seeded from this year. Top team to semi, next two to quarter and bottom in each to play relegation final.
jimbob

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

I hereby apply in writing for Brian Whelahan to commentate live on radio for all of Birrs league and championship games next year at all grades. Thank you

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

Two enjoyable game in ocp today, birr got a great start but I think St rynagh bench was the difference, horan and Quirke make a huge impact, Ben connelly was massive when the battle was at its peak as was Sean Dolan,I thought birr could have got a free late on but St rynagh experience got the job done for me.
Ken hogan has them playing more direct, he has titles with a number of different clubs in different counties. Can anyone tell how many clubs he won titles with as manager?
Kk are minor champions again. I think that's 5 in 9 years, 2 in a row, birr were favourites and can be proud but kk finished like champions. From what I see at underage kk seem way ahead of everyone else.
Looking forward to 2020 already with clareen back in the a, shinrone and Belmont will fancy their chance also,birr have made great strides this year and can St rynagh do 2 in a row?
Great crowd and two enjoyable games , best of luck to St rynagh in the leinster club.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:00 pm Would love to see two groups of 4 with finalists and semi finalists seeded from this year. Top team to semi, next two to quarter and bottom in each to play relegation final.
That was the proposal but clubs voted against it on the reason of only having 3 championship games.

I see they proposing to make it 10 teams for 202. two groups of 5. bottom to to relegation and 4 quarter finals. I think this is the best proposal going forward. Make senior b 10 teams (call it intermediate again) and drive on.