Senior A Hurling 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Senior A County Champions 2019

St. Rynaghs
29%
Coolderry
13%
KK
13%
Kinnitty
No votes
Belmont
13%
Ballinamere/Durrow
3%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
29%

Total votes: 31

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: Senior A Hurling 2019

Post by kaiserchief »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:32 am going on overall form this season, Belmont had a rocky patch admittedly but overall had some good wins and were hurling well..Birr were not going well in any of the games I seen them in, and drawing with Kilcormac last day was Birrs only good performance all year, can they back it up with a second win in a row...based on their form to date..it would be an upset/shock...granted it is only a group game..
I wouldn't say it would be a shock win for Birr but would also have Belmont as favorites.

Predict KK, Belmont, Shinrone and Coolderry to win..

Rynaghs and KK to top the group on score difference.. Belmont v Coolderry and Shinrone v Birr quarter finals.

Ballinamere and Kinnitty in relegation, with Kinnitty being relegated.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

interesting to see some predicting Shinrone to beat Rynaghs, Shinrone are going very well and scoring well, but Rynaghs have a tight defence and that can be seen on the scoring difference...unless Rynaghs just go through the motions of that game, but I think they do need to win to secure semifinal regardless...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

interesting to see some predicting Shinrone to beat Rynaghs, Shinrone are going very well and scoring well, but Rynaghs have a tight defence and that can be seen on the scoring difference...unless Rynaghs just go through the motions of that game, but I think they do need to win to secure semifinal regardless...

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

My Predictions are as follows:

Birr v Belmont
Birr 2-17 Belmont 1-18

KK v Ballinamere
KK 3-18 Ballinamere 0-19

St. Rynaghs v Shinrone
St. Rynaghs 0-20 Shinrone 1-15

Coolderry v Kinnity
Coolderry 1-15 Kinnitty 0-16

That would leave KK and St. Rynaghs in semi finals.
Quarter Finals: Belmont v Coolderry, Birr v Shinrone

Relegation: Kinnity v Ballinamere

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A few thoughts on the weekend.

I am surprised that Kinnitty are being dismissed by almost every commentator. I beg to differ with those dismissals, because I think Kinnitty have a decent chance of progression to the quarter-final.

With eight minutes of last year’s meeting remaining, KInnitty actually led Coolderry by two points, before the eventual champions finished stronger. Kinnitty actually beat them in 2017, and in 2016 KInnitty beat them too. So Kinnitty won’t lack for belief.
Coolderry’s best chance of survival is to strike early. They might have did that against Belmont, scoring the first three points, but the winners scored a settling goal. Without that goal, Coolderry might have added another point, and another. They didn’t though, and the champions sustained a right bang on the ear.

David King is not a full-back. And Kinnitty, somehow, draw plenty of frees. To withstand the Coolderry assault, Kinnitty need Shane Kinsella (probably at centre half-back) and Paddy Delaney (probably marking Brian Carroll - a job he has done well before) hurling really well, Aodhán Kealey too. And they need to keep their discipline. And they need to find a role that best suits James Dempsey – maybe as a ball-winning half-forward?

Elsewhere, improving Shinrone attempt something they haven’t done before, to win five successive championship matches. They’ve twice won four, in 2012 and this year. Final rounds of the group can go against current form too, particularly where we know St Rynagh’s will go straight to the semi-final and Shinrone will contest a quarter-final.

To answer a different question, most likely St Rynagh’s will advance further than Shinrone will in this year’s championship. But despite that, Shinrone may well win here. Rynagh’s won last year’s quarter-final on a day Shinrone took leave of their senses and left unmarked men all over the place, they drew with each other in the earlier group game, while Shinrone won the 2017 group game by a point.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

depending on ones views, the irony of the whole system this year is that teams who lost alot of games might still progress to knockout stages, great for them, is it good in longterm, will any of these teams, with the exception of last years champions Coolderry who we have to assume wont give up their title easy, we might not get the best quality of hurling in the knock out stages, granted it will be knockout and teams will give it their all opposed to some lack lustre group games..

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

chimbonda wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 am My Predictions are as follows:

Birr v Belmont
Birr 2-17 Belmont 1-18

KK v Ballinamere
KK 3-18 Ballinamere 0-19

St. Rynaghs v Shinrone
St. Rynaghs 0-20 Shinrone 1-15

Coolderry v Kinnity
Coolderry 1-15 Kinnitty 0-16
On these predictions the Belmont v Shinrone dream final won't happen. We can still hope!
That would leave KK and St. Rynaghs in semi finals.
Quarter Finals: Belmont v Coolderry, Birr v Shinrone

Relegation: Kinnity v Ballinamere

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

On the weekend predictions, the Belmont v Shinrone, dream final won't happen.
The romantics can still hope.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

looking at it neutrally, I would dont like two "new" teams getting to a final as obviously one will end up loosing and often that can set the loosing team back so much, not saying Belmont or Shinrone would necessarily regress if they lost a county final..going on last year Belmont would a welcome final competitor, but Shinrone have been extremely consistent since the summer break and on form would be nice to see them get through (looking at it neutrally that is :lol:

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Most open championship I can ever recall with all 6 teams in knock out stages likely to believe they have a chance of bringing Sean Robbins home.
All games should be very competitive from now on.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Shinrone certainly laid down a ferocious statement yesterday, not only beating St. Rynaghs, but the manner of the comeback (10 points down for a good period of the game)..levelled it, Rynaghs pushed ahead, and Shinrone still go on and win it..them and Birr should be a great QF...Birr are going pretty ok too and will have their own ideas..Belmont & Coolderry should be a good game, Belmont will be favourites on form, but now its knock out and Coolderry know their title is on the line..is it a draw then for the semis or is it pre determined..pity to see Kinnitty in relegation but I know someone has to be there...

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Went to Lusmagh last night and I must say it had a noting feel to it for most of the game.

Some sloppy hurling from Birr for a good bit of it then Belmont followed suit with mistakes of there own.

The Birr back line done well on a pacey and strong Belmont attack Oisin Murphy done really well on Oisin Kelly and stopped a few goal chances.

Paul Cleary went off injured after about 20 minutes which I hope isnt serious...Birr were always about 3 points down and then Morgan Watkins had a great goal chance in the 2nd half and it looked like the momentum was changing but it was late in the game when Birr got a point to draw level.

Hard to read to much into this game I expect the Qfs to be both very tight.

I will go with Birr and Belmont to scrape wins.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

to be honest, I didnt attend any games, all were on at same time for obvious reasons, and when deciding which game I might go to, the QFs were as good as predetermined, with Kinnitty the only outside chance of making them at Coolderrys expense. Shinrone and Belmont will look back at points dropped and wonder "what if" as regards an automatic semi final spot, but Shinrone seem to be carrying decent form consistently over the summer and QF is probably a better route in ways (as in avoiding the so called big guns for another round and have a decent QF under their belt)..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Tight margins. Had Belmont beaten Birr by 3 points or more (and Belmont did lead by 3 late in the game) then they would have qualified for the semi-final at Kilcormac's expense.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I had an idea that it was tight on the scoring diff with Belmont and KK alright..was talking to to young lads that were at it, and they said Birr came back well to level it, Belmont seem to fade abit in some games..